Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't think they are all comparable with Winks but a lot of them are better than him in two key aspects:

Better players: Freund, Brown, Domingues, Berti, Livermore and personally for me Sean Davis.

worse players but we got rid off in due time: Ghaly, O'hara, Onomah, Marney, , Pritchard etc.

We just didn't let them hang around the senior squad until they were 26 like Winks. Even if you don't think Winks is all that bad I think there's a healthy consensus he isn't good enough and we've known it for almost 5 years now at least. (I personally didn't even rate him in his golden era and England call ups but I know some did)

and idk but I can't recall anyone being nostalgic about Dozell or Gary Brady
Sean Davis was very unlucky with injury. Could have been good for us but wasn’t for reasons not his fault.

I think we are basically agreeing though to be honest. There are several better players in his position now so it is in Harry Winks interest to find a place where he can play. A bit like Andros Townsend I guess, who has made a good career elsewhere. I like Andros as well, these boys will always be Spurs for me.

Blummin 'eck... Yes, you're right..... "its a sport, not a charity"

but by definition, Sport is a game, not Charity...

Charity is Ukrainian orphans, Charity is homeless people without hope... Charity is NOT sport....
charity is caring for people less fortunate than yourselves....

Sport is a game played by people who in this day and age, are richly rewarded.
It's not charity, because in the grand scheme of things, Sportsmen don't need our charity...

But Christ on a bike, he deserves abuse cos what? He's not as good as Hoddle or Modric?

Had he been 20 years older and playing for the shit teams that we had in the early '90s he'd have been a GOD! I'd take Winks over Dozzell ANY day!

As it was, he was at the right club, but in the wrong team at the
Sociologists around the world are perplexed by the world famous "Harry Winks cycle" it goes as follows-

1 - Winks plays like absolute shit all season, scoring no goals and assisting once.

2 - Everyone forgets about it attempts to rewrite history, e.g actually he "recycles" the ball really well.

3- Winks has another fucking shocker of a season.

4-Everyone forgets about it attempts to re-
I think his highlight reel will have more errors than positive passes. His one performance in the championship league and a goal against Fulham do not a legend make.

John Pratt was one of my favourite Spurs players of the time. Nothing flshy, got stuck in and gave it his all.

I remember Villa away in the relegation season when relegation was all but confirmed by a defeat. He left the field arm in arm with Stevie P. They were both in tears.

Cast your mind back to the time when Pratt played. Teams then were virtually exclusively UK born players and clubs had teams plus a couple of subs, there was no such thing as today's squad mentality of having two top players for every position.

My memory of Pratt is that his unpopularity mainly stemmed from the fact that the team were all international players except him (exceptionally, Phil Beal was not an international but he played like one and was a permanent fixture in the team alongside Mike England). So the fans always expected the club to buy in another international to replace him. Remember Spurs were known as the chequebook club at that time. Anyway, the club never did spend the money to upgrade him and hence the constant resentment. He wasn't a bad player but he was a bit limited compared to the others. Denis Bond, Jimmy Pearce, Jimmy Neighbour were in similar positions, always regarded as the poor man of the team, if only the club would flash the cash to get the team up to all 11 internationals, Spurs would surely win more than the odd cup.

I think his highlight reel will have more errors than positive passes. His one performance in the championship league and a goal against Fulham do not a legend make.
To be fair, no one is claiming he should have legend status...
Even Bergweign had a couple of cracking moments for us... and most are wishing him well on his way out...

I just don't get the pure, vitriolic hatred for Winks.

No, he's not good enough for where we are now, or indeed where we're hopefully heading... but as mentioned before, had be been part of the early/mid-90's midfields we had under the likes of Hoddle, Francis etc. he'd have shone like a beacon! (Mainly cos the rest of the team were dross!!)

I just think it was a case of wrong era for him...
He's an average footballer who just happened to be part of a club/team who were starting to excel (although still not win anything!) He sticks out like a sore thumb amongst some of our current players.... but I'd never hold that against him.

I almost guarantee you, had he been born 20 years ago, he'd have been a fans favourite.... and held in much higher esteem.
In fact, his style is somewhat akin to Vinny Samways ... all bustle, attempting to look better than he was, but ultimately a Vinny sideways pass at the end of it! Vinny wouldn't get anywhere near our team now, and he's got an FA Cup Winners medal to show for it!

Blimey, even David Howells gets a warm reception on matchdays... and he was one of our own too!

To be fair, no one is claiming he should have legend status...
Even Bergweign had a couple of cracking moments for us... and most are wishing him well on his way out...

I just don't get the pure, vitriolic hatred for Winks.

No, he's not good enough for where we are now, or indeed where we're hopefully heading... but as mentioned before, had be been part of the early/mid-90's midfields we had under the likes of Hoddle, Francis etc. he'd have shone like a beacon! (Mainly cos the rest of the team were dross!!)

I just think it was a case of wrong era for him...
He's an average footballer who just happened to be part of a club/team who were starting to excel (although still not win anything!) He sticks out like a sore thumb amongst some of our current players.... but I'd never hold that against him.

I almost guarantee you, had he been born 20 years ago, he'd have been a fans favourite.... and held in much higher esteem.
In fact, his style is somewhat akin to Vinny Samways ... all bustle, attempting to look better than he was, but ultimately a Vinny sideways pass at the end of it! Vinny wouldn't get anywhere near our team now, and he's got an FA Cup Winners medal to show for it!

Blimey, even David Howells gets a warm reception on matchdays... and he was one of our own too!
All valid points. Do you think he is dragging his heels and refusing moves or is it a case nobody wants him?

All valid points. Do you think he is dragging his heels and refusing moves or is it a case nobody wants him?
Bit of both, he’s realising that his options are very limited
You'd think that if he was being touted around to other clubs, he would be 'out in the cold'?

Yet he's training with everyone else every day. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I dunno if he's dragging his heels, or just desperate to stay at the club he loves....

Maybe the realisation that he probably isn't good enough to stay will be what hurts most...
There will be takers, I'm sure... the three promoted clubs might be decent options, or the likes of more established PL clubs like Southampton or Villa would be interested.
I just think he might have to look a little further down the league table to find his football than he first thought!

I think there will be tears as and when he leaves....

If they’re trying to sell him then maybe they’ll need him in the shop window.

I always felt like that's why each new coach that came in started by playing him then eventually dropping him.
Possibly part of the coaches objectives from the chairman. Get him playing or get his value up....

Back
Top Bottom