Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As far as good enough for Spurs is concerned Does that mean Bale, Modric,etc were too good for Spurs and that players like Winks rather than being considered not good enough for Spurs are actually perfect.
You could say that more than half the fucking squad is not good enough for Spurs if Winks isn't.

He's absolute pants mate. Does nothing for the team at all. Can't wait till we sell him to Hull in the summer

Does nothing except make the most passes, make a number of tackles and interceptions, and provide support on counter attacking runs. Consistently high pass % completion rates and more goals this season than Dier / Dembele...

Nothing.

Disappeared second half but a definite talent. Shows the caution needed with young players when the calls come to throw them in too early though....he's not ready to take anyone's place in the middle there yet and for me is still very much a squad player (and a bloody good one).

He's absolute pants mate. Does nothing for the team at all. Can't wait till we sell him to Hull in the summer
Well I wouldn't say absolute pants, but definitely not brilliant, even very very good. Still he's 20 and has made 2 starts in the PL.
However, he did more for the team than Dembele did today and was very consistent.
Maybe he won't be decent, but we have had much worse and paid decent money for them

Well I wouldn't say absolute pants, but definitely not brilliant, even very very good. Still he's 20 and has made 2 starts in the PL.
However, he did more for the team than Dembele did today and was very consistent.
Maybe he won't be decent, but we have had much worse and paid decent money for them

Can't tell if you're trolling or serious.

He might be decent? Decent? He was better than decent on his debut, never mind in future.

Can't tell if you're trolling or serious.

He might be decent? Decent? He was better than decent on his debut, never mind in future.
Come on mate read the posts I replied too ffs.
The man calls him absolute pants and does nothing for the team.
I said he's 20 and only had 2 starts, and may well not turn out to be decent for us.
I have said all along I think he's a good player for us and that's not the case.

I said he's 20 and only had 2 starts, and may well not turn out to be decent for us.
I have said all along I think he's a good player for us and that's not the case.

I thought the original post was sarcasm and you were disagreeing with the sarcasm. There's too much sarcasm on this forum, confusing as fuck.

Steven Clemance reincarnated

Really, he won't. He will end up at Hull, West Brom, Palace etc. Some people on here have used his name in the same sentence as Modric, which is completely laughable. I remember people on forums talking about Bentaleb as if he was going to set the world on fire, and how bloody awful is he. I have been watching Spurs for 47 years and believe me I can spot a player. Off the top of my head the only time I can remember getting it wrong was Danny Rose, who has turned out to be brilliant, otherwise I am always spot on. Winks isn't a bad player, but he will never be good enough for a team like Spurs.
Players - Harry Kane
Oh you and your spotting of players you............

Steven Clemance reincarnated
I don't see how you got Kane correct then as he showed less proficiency at what he played to do after 2 starts.
He missed a penalty and scored once in his 6 games and against shamrock rovers

Just seen the. Above post. So Rose wasn't the only player you have been wrong on in 47 years?

the only players I have ever been 100% correct with, ones come through and not bought with knowledge, were hoddle when he came on as sub on his debut when I was standing behind the goal in the Paxton. I even went home and ranted about this fantastic player we had to my mother, one parent family, I was about 11. The other was sol Campbell on his first outing at the Mikita tournament .
I blatantly told sol Campbell that he would play for England in 1996 too.
Apart from that I have been pretty hit and miss with our products.

the only players I have ever been 100% correct with, ones come through and not bought with knowledge, were hoddle when he came on as sub on his debut when I was standing behind the goal in the Paxton. I even went home and ranted about this fantastic player we had to my mother, one parent family, I was about 11. The other was sol Campbell on his first outing at the Mikita tournament .
I blatantly told sol Campbell that he would play for England in 1996 too.
Apart from that I have been pretty hit and miss with our products.

From memory regarding Spurs players and being either spot on or totally off the mark. Not just youth players.

Right

Kane- thought he had something even though he had a difficult start.

Ledley King: he took a lot of criticism when he came through for us.

Dier: thought he could do a job at DM being good on the ball.

Wrong

Lamela: wasn't sure he would make it, had talent but so frustrating.

Rose: under AVB he was awful thought he would be sold.

Bentaleb: still feel this guy has amazing talent but something is wrong in the head.

My gut tells me Winks will be a regular starter for both us and England and one of our best midfielders even within this season. That was my opinion in preseason after watching him against Juv and Milan not just now. His ability to pass and to retain possession is brilliant, it's not fancy to watch but very important. But who knows he could hit the bottle and end up at Hull.

From memory regarding Spurs players and being either spot on or totally off the mark. Not just youth players.

Right

Kane- thought he had something even though he had a difficult start.

Ledley King: he took a lot of criticism when he came through for us.

Dier: thought he could do a job at DM being good on the ball.

Wrong

Lamela: wasn't sure he would make it, had talent but so frustrating.

Rose: under AVB he was awful thought he would be sold.

Bentaleb: still feel this guy has amazing talent but something is wrong in the head.

My gut tells me Winks will be a regular starter for both us and England and one of our best midfielders even within this season. That was my opinion in preseason after watching him against Juv and Milan not just now. His ability to pass and to retain possession is brilliant, it's not fancy to watch but very important. But who knows he could hit the bottle and end up at Hull.
I always like lamela and Kane for their willingness to try. No matter the performance you'll get 100%. That adheres me to a player more than anything.Also you need a bit of time.
To be honest I didn't think Kane would turn out as god as he did. His latest performances are reminiscent of his first. I always thought lamela would be a competent player and I honestly felt sometimes that others were not on his wavelength.
I don't know how anyone could call someone a pub player, especially 'if' they are a pub player themselves.
Most of the people who spout the vitriol can't even play football themselves, or could never reach anywhere near top level.
It's kind of like an illiterate calling Einstein a thick cunt.
I mean would you hear a semi pro striker playing for Ally Pally FC calling Kane a pub player

[QUOTE="DeeGee, post: 1124536, member: 5769"
I don't know how anyone could call someone a pub player, especially 'if' they are a pub player themselves.
Most of the people who spout the vitriol can't even play football themselves, or could never reach anywhere near top level.
I mean would you hear a semi pro striker playing for Ally Pally FC calling Kane a pub player[/QUOTE]

It obviously isn't meant literally. Its just a hyperbolic way of saying someone is out of their depth.

Right:

Lamela - Always felt like he had potential and I remember when he ripped some random team in the EL to pieces and got Defoe a pen. Then got injured for the year.

Toby - Thought it was amazing that Southampton would not get him. Utterly bizarre. Probably the best CB in England now.

Wanyama - Was pleasantly surprised that we got him, and relatively easily to boot. Thought he would be very solid, saw him in the pre-season games and thought he was technically better than I first thought.

Bentaleb - Never was impressed. Still not.

Iffy:

Siggy - Always thought he was a great player, technically superb who would come good for us if played correctly. I was right - he's a top player. Unfortunately not for us.

Wimmer - Looked amazing last season, hasn't looked so assured this one. Worried he'll leave.

Wrong:

Kane - Saw his debut and for his first year all he did was fall over. Unbalanced, no leg strength, no pace and spent more time on his bum than running.

Rose - Thought he was a winger playing at full back, which he was. He ran a lot with the ball but his crosses were usually poor and he couldn't defend at all. Now he's my 2nd favourite player, behind Lamela.

Walker - I felt like he'd reached his peak 3 years ago and would just live out the rest of his career as a capable RB who would always make mistakes. Improved massively.

[QUOTE="DeeGee, post: 1124536, member: 5769"
I mean would you hear a semi pro striker playing for Ally Pally FC calling Kane a pub player

It obviously isn't meant literally. Its just a hyperbolic way of saying someone is out of their depth.[/QUOTE]
Ok it's like an illiterate saying Einstein, or a semi pro at Ally Pally saying Kane, is out of their depth on the theory of relativity/as a PL striker:wanyama:

Is Lamela considered a resounding success now? I will agree he has come a long way from when we first bought him but I still am not so sure he has lived up to the hype. He works hard but I still think his end product leaves a bit to be desired.

Don't get me wrong I think he was good last season but I wouldn't put him int he same category as Rose, Kane, Toby, Walker etc.. who are consistently excellent.

As for Winks I think it is still too early to tell. He has some very good attributes but until he gets a run of games we won't really know if we have a Mason or a Carrick

Last edited:
Is Lamela considered a resounding success now? I will agree he has come a long way from when we first bought him but I still am not so sure he has lived up to the hype. He works hard but I still think his end product leaves a bit to be desired.

Don't get me wrong I think he was good last season but I wouldn't put him int he same category as Rose, Kane, Toby, Walker etc.. who are consistently excellent.

As for Winks I think it is still too early to tell. He has some very good attributes but until he gets a run of games we won't really know if we have a Mason or a Carrick
Lamela's been away for a while so under the "Aaron Lennon Rule" he has become a better player

Back
Top Bottom