Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A masterclass in controlling a game tonight.

Absolutely made for international football and should be a mainstay in this England side under Southgate with bombing wing backs either side of him.

England made a mistake by misusing Carrick. Let's hope they don't repeat the same mistake.

He is a funny one. Sound technically but he nevers seems to break the lines or play the killer pass. That said he walks into this England side simply as the holding midfielder, because unlike Rice or Dier he can recieve the ball under pressure and on the half turn. If they could find an actual genuine attacking midfield player alongside him they would be half decent. That said the centre-backs are r average and goalkeeper has a mistake in him.

Harry had a great game tonight. He set the tone and kept the ball moving.
As the comms said he is ideal to do that when England are likely to have a lot of possession.
Must have given him a lot of confidence.

He is a funny one. Sound technically but he nevers seems to break the lines or play the killer pass. That said he walks into this England side simply as the holding midfielder, because unlike Rice or Dier he can recieve the ball under pressure and on the half turn. If they could find an actual genuine attacking midfield player alongside him they would be half decent. That said the centre-backs are r average and goalkeeper has a mistake in him.
he is technically sound in receiving & simple passing,
but he can't defend (not strong enough in the challenge)
doesn't sense where danger will be so runs all over the place
can't see that killer place
if he could do 2 of these 3 as well ( dembele could) we then don't have to compensate elsewhere
think that is part of our problem this year, we play Winks & Sissoko both limited in the skills needed to be DM in play it from the back system

Winks in a nutshell

'Holds on to the ball for too long, turns around and passes back to the defence'

(Repeat times 1000x)
Sadly, that seems be the ceiling of his ability in a nutshell - kills virtually every counter or any attacking movement at pace

No coincidence our worst results have been with him at CM

Last edited:
I just don’t see a place for him in our starting 11 when everyone is fit and on form, but a useful squad player to have around
Really?
Hed be one of the players I'd build the team around.
Reliable as a metronome, great link player, good defensive skills and retains the ball well under pressure.
My biggest criticism is his slavish approach to team play, he can pick out a good incisive pass, and he doesn't always need to offload at a maximum of a 10m pass
Disciplined and reliable.
Not every player needs to be a Modric/Gazza

Really?
Hed be one of the players I'd build the team around.
Reliable as a metronome, great link player, good defensive skills and retains the ball well under pressure.
My biggest criticism is his slavish approach to team play, he can pick out a good incisive pass, and he doesn't always need to offload at a maximum of a 10m pass
Disciplined and reliable.
Not every player needs to be a Modric/Gazza
I just don’t see it, I think he slows the play down to much, I want to see someone taking a risk and attempting a forward pass, but maybe he has been Instructed by poch to play the safe pass ?

Great vs Montenegro. First name on the teamsheet from now on if we have to play any more pub teams.

In the summer, we should do Winks for Lo Celso +50m. Great deal for Betis.

Sadly that seems be the ceiling of his ability in a nutshell - kills virtually every counter or any attacking movement at pace

No coincidence our worst results have been with him at CM

I don’t think Winks is spunkbread, but this is bollocks. He’s been no more involved with our worst performances than a bunch of other players who have contributed even less to those shit performances.

He wasn’t there for our worst performance of the season last week. And he’s been there for some of our best in the last couple of years, like the last time we beat Liverpool, when we beat Real Madrid etc.

It’s less of a coincidence that Sissoko, a player playing in midfield who hides from the ball and has worse technique and passing ability than Winks, has featured a lot more during this shit last two years.
Its

It’s not like Wanyama, Dier or Dembele were metronomic or incisive passer either is it. And Dier and Sissoko are shit defensively too.

Winks is not the solution to our problems (or part solution to part of our problems even) - but he’s certainly not the biggest problem. We’ve managed serviceable performances with worse footballers than him clunking about our midfield.

Our biggest problem is a coach who can’t even get his team to do basic stuff well, like press (Winks is one of the few that does at least show some fucking energy) and keeps picking cowardly donkeys and expecting them to play football.

I don’t think Winks is spunkbread, but this is bollocks. He’s been no more involved with our worst performances than a bunch of other players who have contributed even less to those shit performances.

He wasn’t there for our worst performance of the season last week. And he’s been there for some of our best in the last couple of years, like the last time we beat Liverpool, when we beat Real Madrid etc.

It’s less of a coincidence that Sissoko, a player playing in midfield who hides from the ball and has worse technique and passing ability than Winks, has featured a lot more during this shit last two years.
Its

It’s not like Wanyama, Dier or Dembele were metronomic or incisive passera either is it. And Dier and Sissoko are shit defensively too.

Winks is not the solution to our problems (or part solution to part of our problems even) - but he’s certainly not the biggest problem. We’ve managed serviceable performances with worse footballers than him clunking about our midfield.
I don't rate Sissoko at all - but Winks' passing limitations are well documented as well as his ability to slow down our play when least required to do so. Dembele was our best CM since Modric - Winks isn't fit to lace his boots

I don't rate Sissoko at all - but Winks' passing limitations are well documented as well as his ability to slow down our play when least required to do so. Dembele was our best CM since Modric - Winks isn't fit to lace his boots

Dembele was better defensively and harder to knock off the ball, but Dembele slowed down our play more than Winks with his endless pirouetting in the centre circle before passing sideways. Dembele hardly ever played an incisive pass. So if that’s the criteria you are judging them then strange you think Winks is shit but Dembele was a god?

Dembele was better defensively and harder to knock off the ball, but Dembele slowed down our play more than Winks with his endless pirouetting in the centre circle before passing sideways. Dembele hardly ever played an incisive pass. So if that’s the criteria you are judging them then strange you think Winks is shit but Dembele was a god?
You must be talking about another Dembele then. Because the one who played for Spurs destroyed opponents with both physicality and technical ability from a standing start. His passing range was also superior. Winks gets knocked off the ball like a leaf.

Back
Top Bottom