Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

gosh he was poor today.

I'd like to see those guys who have been banging on here how "Winks can play DM!!" - for fook sake, did you see his actions in this goal-gifting freekick situation?!?! was that any kind of acceptable defending?? He had chance to clear the threat in 1st try, so he shouldn't have made this 2nd tackle at all.

He was pushed off the ball and being inefficient in other instances as well = HE IS NOT NEARLY GOOD ENOUGH DM!!

He has a place in our team as squad player in CM, but absolutely should not be used as DM!

Wasn’t his best game, but he really wasn’t that horrible.

He is certainly not a DM and if played in a 2 CM formation, he needs a DM. I’d like to see him playing with NDombele and a DM.

Wasn’t his best game, but he really wasn’t that horrible.

He is certainly not a DM and if played in a 2 CM formation, he needs a DM. I’d like to see him playing with NDombele and a DM.

Yea but he's not preferable to Ndombele or Sissoko in a CM 2. Think he can be in a starting CM 3 if we rest Dele and are without a CAM, but that is not our best XI anyways, imo. His forward play is just not that great, and his defense is lacking the things you'd want in a CDM.

Squad CM to me right now, as is Dier at CDM.

I’m really torn on Winks. He’s the player more than any other that I swing from thinking he’s a key potential cog or doesn’t really fit in.

He can tackle, he can pass, he shows for the ball, he works hard....but, more often than not we look a bit better with him out the team

I’m really torn on Winks. He’s the player more than any other that I swing from thinking he’s a key potential cog or doesn’t really fit in.

He can tackle recklessly, he can pass mostly sideways, he shows for the ball and gives it away , he works hard like a headless chicken....but, more often than not we look a bit better with him out the team
Fixed it for you :p

Yea but he's not preferable to Ndombele or Sissoko in a CM 2. Think he can be in a starting CM 3 if we rest Dele and are without a CAM, but that is not our best XI anyways, imo. His forward play is just not that great, and his defense is lacking the things you'd want in a CDM.

Squad CM to me right now, as is Dier at CDM.

Probably sacrilegious, but I don’t think Sissoko should be anywhere near our starting 11. If anything, impact sub as a RW for energy/athleticism. Winks is absolutely preferred to Sissoko. From the little I’ve seen of NDombele, he is much preferred to Winks. That said, I’d like to see how they play together when they don’t have to worry about having someone competent behind them.

Honestly, I think Winks is probably a backup ideally. He shouldn’t be first choice at his current level, but he is a legitimate option and can play well. But, he cannot play as a CM2 without a DM.

Why would they want a backwards passing League One player!?

Not sure everyone is going to get et the sarcasm !

Would certainly improve Manu starting X1 and be good back up at ManCity - in both cases as a no 8 or emergency DM. Which tells you why we want to keep him in our squad, probably back up to Ndombele and emergency DM - plenty of others to go before him.

When Eriksen was poor last year we blamed the lack of a CM, and same for Dele.
We do the same for Ndombele despite it being HIM supposed to be the answer to all our problems.

Winks has outperformed all three on many an occasion and along with Sissoko was probably our best player last season.
I think it’s crass how he’s treated on here, while Dele is still being called world class and treated like some kind of little boy coming through the ranks, while putting in no effort.

He shouldn’t be first choice at his current level, but he is a legitimate option and can play well. But, he cannot play as a CM2 without a DM.
This. He's not a DM and can't play in our current formation without a really good DM alongside.

Still think he's a good player but one who won't make an average team (ahem) good, but would make a good team better still. The formation and the lack of a quality DM expose his weaknesses but I wouldn't want to see him leave. I measure success by having us represented in anti-dandruff commercials. Boxes ticked.

To me he's a steady Eddy, needs to play regularly to see the best of him. Otherwise all we get are nervous back passes and lunges in front of opposition shots.
Would be a shame to sell him, he's a decent player and 100% Spurs.

10 minutes or so into the second half and we had a goal kick. Gaz passed out to Toby who looked up to see Winks stood in the centre of the pitch 10 yards outside the 18 yard area, calling for the ball. Toby passed to him and Winks without a second's hesitation immediately passed it back, to a huge groan from the crowd, which even drew mention from the commentator. A few minutes later and the whole routine was replayed but this time, possibly due to the booing he had received previously, Winks turned and moved forward, passing forward across the pitch to move play upfield. Having realised that the world does fall in on itself should you take a pass from a defender and have the guts to take responsibility and not simply play it back and put the pressure on the defender, Winks successfully reproduced this several more times. Quite why it's taken so long for Winks - and hopefully our other midfielders - to take on board this effective routine of moving the ball under control from defence through to midfield is baffling, but it felt like a huge hurdle was overcome yesterday and the consequence led to our improved performance in the second half.

Back
Top Bottom