Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's an average player at the Top Six level, and our only real alternative is Sissoko

Unfortunately, we loaned out the other alternative.

If we're playing Winks as a DM, we should use Skipp instead. And try playing Lo Celso and N'dombele (or Hojberg) ahead of him.

Winks can come on when were winning for the last twenty minutes and control possession. I don't think he helps when we need to actually score.

His xA and shot creating actions are so much lower than all three because all of his progression/final-third passes are out onto the wing.

The thing that disappoints me about Winks is that he used to be a bit more aggressive in trying to split lines with a pass. I don't think he lacks that vision, I think he just has a self-image as a tidy, responsible, defensively focused player.

Whereas every time Ndombele touches the ball, for better or worse, he understands his purpose to be generating a chance and acts accordingly.

That's true of all the guys we bought last summer really. We need that DNA to start to mesh.

The thing that disappoints me about Winks is that he used to be a bit more aggressive in trying to split lines with a pass. I don't think he lacks that vision, I think he just has a self-image as a tidy, responsible, defensively focused player.

Whereas every time Ndombele touches the ball, for better or worse, he understands his purpose to be generating a chance and acts accordingly.

That's true of all the guys we bought last summer really. We need that DNA to start to mesh.
Everyone is too afraid to turn the ball over because no one presses to win it back because they are all worried about being out of position defensively.

If we're playing Winks as a DM, we should use Skipp instead.

If 19 year old Skipp is capable of that in this moment of his career, that's great news because he's going to absolutely boss the Championship and come back a seasoned professional. And if he's got more tackling steel in his game and can be more of a true 6 than Winks will be, so much the better.

Everyone is worried about being out of position defensively.

Problem solved

tenor.gif

My worry with him is i'm not sure he has the capability now to change and develop the rest of his game. What you're seeing is all he's capable of.

Footballers can get stuck in a role and get comfortable. He strikes me as someone who is very content in the role that he has here.

Winks' long passing is becoming more and more annoying for me; I can't unsee it. Any player that has to loft the ball (almost chip it) to get it over 20 yards is a liability especially if there is no one next to him who can do that job.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Winks is simply not the level Spurs need.
As others have mentioned, Dembele and Eriksen have covered for his lack of finessed ability before.
Now he's surrounded by lesser players (an absolutely damning indictment on our signing policy and aspirations) his limitations are being more readily exposed.
I genuinely think Winks is a high level Champ player/low level EPL player at best.
There is no way he should be starting games for a 'top 6' club like us.

Unfortunately, Winks is simply not the level Spurs need.
As others have mentioned, Dembele and Eriksen have covered for his lack of finessed ability before.
Now he's surrounded by lesser players (an absolutely damning indictment on our signing policy and aspirations) his limitations are being more readily exposed.
I genuinely think Winks is a high level Champ player/low level EPL player at best.
There is no way he should be starting games for a 'top 6' club like us.
He performs a role his manager asks him to play. He does it very well and as a consequence, he keeps getting picked by managers, because they like players who they can rely on.
You, like many other posters have completely misunderstood what hes in the team for.

yes he does what the manager askes, but he is not a real DM, and that is what we need,
he is too weak in his challenges (nothing to do with size, its how powerful you are)
he doesn't see where the danger is going to come from (that's why he chases here to there following the ball)
when he came into the team he was a more forward midfield with attacking passes ( i would hope if we had a real DM he could move back to that position)

Back
Top Bottom