Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He does exactly what he needs to do. Never any more. That's not a compliment but it's just a fact.

It's the manager who picks him every week but if we could ever sign a decent DM or a number 8 we would all look back and wonder why the hell this guy played every week.

I did not think he played that well at all today. The best thing going for him was that Newcastle sat back so he wasn't pressed and had a few chances to make passes up the field with no pressure or opposition in front of him.

On the few times he was pressed he gave the ball away easily.

If this is the best he has to offer than that is even more proof he isn't good enough.
Precisely. Newcastle simply allowed him the space to play, as they know nothing would come from him. The same happened to Davies, as you could see the pressing on Doherty, in comparission.

I know you hate him and I agree he is limited but he did his job well today. His quick turnovers and releasing the ball/recovering it from the back allowed us to dominate.

He's a decent water carrier. Sometimes it's needed.

Maybe he did his job well, although if that is his job then that is a major concern because we should have no need for someone who has zero creativity, poor in defense and terrible under pressure, but when he was pressed he looked poor.

I don't see what he does that a player with either more creativity, more ability to handle the press or more defensive ability, ideally 2 or all three of them, couldn't do as well.

I am also not sure why we have a role in our team in which the player is not expected to do anything any fan in the stand could also do.

Winks is the definition of an average footballer. Generally doesn’t do anything to hurt the team but also doesn’t add much incremental value. It’s a bit frustrating because you feel like there might be some quality there but it’s never displayed

Well, not all players, they’re positions, and their job on the pitch come across for majority of us fans. Sometimes a player may look like they are not doing much but being in the right place, playing the right simple passes and clogging up the right areas are exactly what the team needs. Teams generally don’t have flashy players in every position. Some players are there contributing tremendously even when a lot of us fans can’t see the work that gets done.

And that’s why certain players continue to get picked while fans cry for a shinier player.

I did not think he played that well at all today. The best thing going for him was that Newcastle sat back so he wasn't pressed and had a few chances to make passes up the field with no pressure or opposition in front of him.

On the few times he was pressed he gave the ball away easily.

If this is the best he has to offer than that is even more proof he isn't good enough.
Gave the ball away on just 4 occasions all of them attempted through balls - was only disposed once in the entire match .... your agenda is shining brightly, do you even watch the games?

Gave the ball away on just 4 occasions all of them attempted through balls - was only disposed once in the entire match .... your agenda is shining brightly, do you even watch the games?

Watched the whole game like I always do.

Winks crumbled under pressure every time.

The only reason he give the ball away so little is that he looks for the confort pass everytime, and that's why he also slows the tempo everytime he gots the ball, because he's only looking for the easyest thing to do.

He's playing as the holding midfielder. It's it's job to recycle possession. It's not the most glamorous of roles. He doesn't make many incisive passes as that's not his job.

I'm pretty sure if you go to most forums in the country you will find that the holding midfielder gets cunted by the fans, but appreciated, and regularly picked by, the manager.

Back
Top Bottom