Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't particularly disagree with you to be fair. I don't think Winks deserves to be thrown in with some of the others who aren't the best technically yet who might other strengths. I'm definitely all for us playing more flair players, and a more progressive style of football. It's just not gonna happen under Jose realistically though is it? I'd personally prefer ndombele deeper, but I'd rather much have winks in the middle over sissoko for your reasons above.
but why would you rather winks over sissoko? they pretty much offer the same shit on the ball, at least sissoko offers you some strengths off the ball.

ideally you want players who can actually get on the ball and do something with it in midfield. its the reason we have fuck all possession in every game, the midfield are incompetent footballers, then they have donkeys behind them too. its a recipe for disaster over 90 minutes and its showing. the best front 3 in the world would struggle with our midfield.

but why would you rather winks over sissoko? they pretty much offer the same shit on the ball, at least sissoko offers you some strengths off the ball.

ideally you want players who can actually get on the ball and do something with it in midfield. its the reason we have fuck all possession in every game, the midfield are incompetent footballers, then they have donkeys behind them too. its a recipe for disaster over 90 minutes and its showing. the best front 3 in the world would struggle with our midfield.
I think Winks is better on the ball. I also think with time he'd get to grips with the new tactics he's being asked to play - which he is actually showing. He's better in tight spaces and has more composure than sissoko. Also tends to have better defensive awareness too. The balance of the team was well off tonight and it was painful to see. Would have been nice to see an actual attacking player on the right instead of sissoko there. It didn't do anyone any favours.

You want him to attempt more dribbles when he's quite often our deepest midfielder right Infront of the back 4? Have a feeling you wouldn't last long in this mourinho side... Our right side was useless today. I distinctly remember holjberg throwing his hands up in the air when turning that way and realising nobody on the right side had even attempted to get themselves into space... Yet you want Harry to magically dribble and start sending balls into sissoko who's legit trampoleen foot whenever he's in the opposition's half? Hmmm...
I don't want anything of your twisted narrative.

I am responding to a post using the quantity of touches as indication of involvement.

And heat map, and touches map showed, he might be the deepest midfielder, yet he's not covering the space his role supposed to do. He moved to the left side, more often than not. There is disconnection of his his heat map to the action on our right side in our own half.

Which surprising for someone with the most touches, and so much action on the left side and more action in opposition half than our own right side half, doesn't attempt to dribble.

Stats answers stats. That's the point.

I think Winks is better on the ball. I also think with time he'd get to grips with the new tactics he's being asked to play - which he is actually showing. He's better in tight spaces and has more composure than sissoko. Also tends to have better defensive awareness too. The balance of the team was well off tonight and it was painful to see. Would have been nice to see an actual attacking player on the right instead of sissoko there. It didn't do anyone any favours.
winks is better on the ball? what by passing backwards or sideways to another donkey putting them under pressure? winks simple passes arent even of a high quality which is the least youd expect from a player who has no positives. at least when sissoko is next to hojbjerg he provides us some muscle and power in midfield. winks just offers us absolutely fuck all. you say hes better on the ball but i dont think he is. sissoko can at least take the ball up the other end of the pitch from time to time with it at his feet. a fairly decent technical conference midfielder could do what winks does, backwards and sideways nothing passes...i bet the conference player would be quicker and stronger too.

Even if you didn't, relying on Jose's expert opinion after that managerial disaster class is some bad timing eh?
Ah, caught you in a wee fib there then?

And yes, when it comes to football, Jose does and always will, know more than the posters on this forum combined. So I’ll continue to support his choices.

Could see City signing him for a chunk and using him similar to how we are currently using him in all honesty. Personally think he's a better player than Fred at United too. Definitely better than milner...
Winks is nowhere near as good as Fred. They are both shit at shooting but Fred is a vastly superior player. Took him a while to get going granted. I don't think he's better than milner, and he's 72 years old

Winks is nowhere near as good as Fred. They are both shit at shooting but Fred is a vastly superior player. Took him a while to get going granted. I don't think he's better than milner, and he's 72 years old
too many fans have such biased opinions that it makes it seem that they talk out of their arse 24/7

'Wanks'

SeriousInfamousAntbear-size_restricted.gif

I know I know us that don't see that winks is the best midfielder of his generation and the greatest ball recycler of all time are of inferior football intelligence to those that see the greatness of winks and the phenomenal amount of top quality displays he puts in. I bow down to all of you winks enthusiasts that clearly know the game so much better :mourglasses:
Well considering you compared a midfielder whose job it is to move the ball around and keep possession to a centre forward who came on as fresh legs and scored, it seems like you don't have a fucking clue tbh.

He isn’t good enough guys, there’s no other way to describe it. Would Winks get in any of the current top 6 midfield ? Not a chance and there’s you’re answer. He’s a decent squad player and I have no issue with him being part of our squad, but the guy isn’t good enough. When you have bang average players like Winks and Sissoko occupying the midfield, you already know you are onto a loser. Points were dropped the moment Mourinho played these 2 together.

25% win percentage when he's played in the league this season
sounds about right. every time you see him in the lineup, no matter who hes with or who we are against you fear for us. same with sissoko if its against weaker opposition, you know if sissoko is on against a team we should be bossing that its going to be a 50/50 and we need kane or son to be on fire to pull through

sounds about right. every time you see him in the lineup, no matter who hes with or who we are against you fear for us. same with sissoko if its against weaker opposition, you know if sissoko is on against a team we should be bossing that its going to be a 50/50 and we need kane or son to be on fire to pull through

67% win percentage without him.

I want to get inside the head of Harry Winks and understand what he thinks he contributes to the team.

* He can't tackle and is caught of out of position defensively constantly
* He doesn't score goals
* He doesn't create goals

In fact from what I'm watching his entire footballing existence is spent shuffling around in that space between the defence and half way line, receiving the ball, turning on it and passing it either square of backwards, Invariably to Dier who then lumps it 30 yards straight the defenders.

I just don't get it, yet he thinks that merits more minutes?
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

I want to get inside the head of Harry Winks and understand what he thinks he contributes to the team.

* He can't tackle and is caught of out of position defensively constantly
* He doesn't score goals
* He doesn't create goals

In fact from what I'm watching his entire footballing existence is spent shuffling around in that space between the defence and half way line, receiving the ball, turning on it and passing it either square of backwards, Invariably to Dier who then lumps it 30 yards straight the defenders.

I just don't get it, yet he thinks that merits more minutes?
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden
I'd love to see an interview with him where he actually talks honestly about what sort of player he is or wants to be. Because he plays like he hasn't got a clue.

Back
Top Bottom