Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The "winks love" among a segment of supporters is the same as the "Livermore love" many years ago. Same arguments too.. "he can do a job for us in the midfield" "he is spurs through and through"..

Can't wait to see his exit announcement

The "winks love" among a segment of supporters is the same as the "Livermore love" many years ago. Same arguments too.. "he can do a job for us in the midfield" "he is spurs through and through"..

Yaaawn.

......People are just sick of the bile, the gratuitously repetitive & enthused criticism and the tedious conspiracy theories.

Last edited:

The most ENIC player ever - mediocre and cowardly

Here's my thoughts on Winks

He's one of our own . He's an academy player. 4 seasons ago he bossed the midfield against Real Madrid. The season after that he was probably our best player in the Champions league final.

For whatever reason however he hasn't got better after that Champions league final. He gets the occasional injury but I believe he's just a very limited player.

Good passer of the ball but wants far too long on the ball. Doesn't do enough aside from the passing. Too easy to get past etc..

He's quite average and he doesn't fit this team for sure.

He's not shit but when he plays sometimes he looks very poor and last season he was simply not good enough.

No need to abuse him. He loves this club but perhaps he's got a bit complacent and is happy to just be a squad player. Time for both him and club to move on.

My only irk I have with him is that if its true that he was the one who went leaking to the press and he caused squad disunity. (Just rumours so Idk)

Here's my thoughts on Winks

He's one of our own . He's an academy player. 4 seasons ago he bossed the midfield against Real Madrid. The season after that he was probably our best player in the Champions league final.

For whatever reason however he hasn't got better after that Champions league final. He gets the occasional injury but I believe he's just a very limited player.

Good passer of the ball but wants far too long on the ball. Doesn't do enough aside from the passing. Too easy to get past etc..

He's quite average and he doesn't fit this team for sure.

He's not shit but when he plays sometimes he looks very poor and last season he was simply not good enough.

No need to abuse him. He loves this club but perhaps he's got a bit complacent and is happy to just be a squad player. Time for both him and club to move on.

My only irk I have with him is that if its true that he was the one who went leaking to the press and he caused squad disunity. (Just rumours so Idk)
Thing is... Hoddle & Perryman spoilt us. We were never gonna find anyone as good as them in our lifetimes...

But since then, we've consistently produced very similar midfielders who are neither one thing or the other....

Decent enough, but limited. Neither creative enough to provide a constant goal threat like Hoddle, nor defensive enough to offer proper protection like Perryman (although he did play at Full back and in defence at various stages of his Spurs career.... I still think of him as a cultured midfielder).

I could cite the likes of Ian Culverhouse, Samways, Howells, Paul Moran , Mark Robson... then later, Stephen Clemence, Jake Livermore, Andros Townsend, Tom Carroll, Ryan Mason, and now Harry Winks.... (I've probably missed a few) but you know the type of player I mean: all academy products, all (probably) Spurs fans.... initial promise shown, which buys them time... but ultimately, that only got them so far when consistency became key to a successful career.

Maybe/hopefully Skipp finally breaks the mould.... but right now, he is essentially fulfilling THAT role of 'almost/maybe/not quite' Spurs midfielder!

Pretty sure Livermore only had a career because of threats from his thug family.

Thing is... Hoddle & Perryman spoilt us. We were never gonna find anyone as good as them in our lifetimes...

But since then, we've consistently produced very similar midfielders who are neither one thing or the other....

Decent enough, but limited. Neither creative enough to provide a constant goal threat like Hoddle, nor defensive enough to offer proper protection like Perryman (although he did play at Full back and in defence at various stages of his Spurs career.... I still think of him as a cultured midfielder).

I could cite the likes of Ian Culverhouse, Samways, Howells, Paul Moran , Mark Robson... then later, Stephen Clemence, Jake Livermore, Andros Townsend, Tom Carroll, Ryan Mason, and now Harry Winks.... (I've probably missed a few) but you know the type of player I mean: all academy products, all (probably) Spurs fans.... initial promise shown, which buys them time... but ultimately, that only got them so far when consistency became key to a successful career.

Maybe/hopefully Skipp finally breaks the mould.... but right now, he is essentially fulfilling THAT role of 'almost/maybe/not quite' Spurs midfielder!
Curiously enough, the Spurs player Skipp most reminds me of is Stevie Perryman when he was a midfielder.

If Skipp could reach that level, both as a tenacious player and a respected leader, then I'm sure we'd all be very happy.

Almost all of the 'fans' giving Winks abuse will not have heard of any of those names.

Why do people call Winks a rat? I must have missed something, where does this come from?

I don't rate him as a player and I think he should be replaced. I've said before, I think he looked better when we had better players overall at the club. The likes of Dembele, Eriksen, Dele either went, regressed or a combination of both and Winks is just shown to be a fairly average player, in my opinion.

But yeah, why do some of you call him a rat? lol

We had Gaza after Hoddle and Ardiles
I wouldn’t call them limited

I agree about Skipp and have high hopes for him
Mate, I was talking about HOME GROWN players only!

....we also had Ricky Villa, Carrick, Modric, Davids, VDV, Berbatov, and Bale.... and they were all great! But we BOUGHT them!

The point being, the HOME GROWN talent, unless outstanding (like Hoddle & Perryman) will eventually get dogs abuse if they're NOT as good as the players,we pay a fee for!

Why do people call Winks a rat? I must have missed something, where does this come from?

I don't rate him as a player and I think he should be replaced. I've said before, I think he looked better when we had better players overall at the club. The likes of Dembele, Eriksen, Dele either went, regressed or a combination of both and Winks is just shown to be a fairly average player, in my opinion.

But yeah, why do some of you call him a rat? lol

I think some people think that he was complaining behind the scenes to media members at the end of Jose's time at Spurs because of a lack of playing time.

Mate, I was talking about HOME GROWN players only!

....we also had Ricky Villa, Carrick, Modric, Davids, VDV, Berbatov, and Bale.... and they were all great! But we BOUGHT them!

The point being, the HOME GROWN talent, unless outstanding (like Hoddle & Perryman) will eventually get dogs abuse if they're NOT as good as the players,we pay a fee for!
Fair enough
I only read your first paragraph!

Back
Top Bottom