Has money ruined football?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes or no? Depending on how old you are will dictate your answer! My answer is yes, the actual playing of football comes way down the list of priorities merchandise,money,tv,agents,wages,advertising seem to be far more important....thoughts

It's improved material aspects like stadia (including pitch conditions), presentation, merchandise etc...but as a sport - the negative outcomes are easily apparent. The rich pull away. I loved the FA Cup as a kid, but money has meant more focus on Champions League qualification etc etc.
I'm stating the obvious here though.

In some aspects it can be said it has changed it for the worse with over inflated valuations of players and also the yes men that are agents but they have been around longer than the big bucks.

Also with the big money clubs are now able to use that for the medical side of things by being able to pay for the most advanced procedures and doctors to go with it. A broken leg is no longer a career ending injury so it has helped in that way.

Yes. The negatives far outweigh the positives.

Expensive TV subscriptions
Meaning the big clubs are protected financially to preserve the ratings
Match day tickets are expensive
Footballers salaries in the top flight are obscene. I don't blame the players but their is something wrong with society where we can pay someone that amount of money while the NHS can't afford cancer battling drugs
Most football pundits and analysts are absolute morons
Games get moved about to suit the TV powers with no regards to supporters
Players cheating
Commentators afraid to challenge the cheating
Matches being hyped up beyond all proportion
Lazy young English players being paid too much when they have achieved nothing
The national team suffering as a result
Football pundits moaning at the national team but then getting back into the world's most exciting league every August
The devaluing of the FA cup
Pop stars muscling in on the game purely for their own benefit
Advertising betting companies
Corrupt FIFA awarding world cups to countries with atrocious human rights records where the summer temperature is over 40 degrees
The gentrification of football stadiums
Mk Dons
Wembley stadium and it's sucking up to everything corporate

Yes. The negatives far outweigh the positives.

Expensive TV subscriptions
Meaning the big clubs are protected financially to preserve the ratings
Match day tickets are expensive
Footballers salaries in the top flight are obscene. I don't blame the players but their is something wrong with society where we can pay someone that amount of money while the NHS can't afford cancer battling drugs
Most football pundits and analysts are absolute morons
Games get moved about to suit the TV powers with no regards to supporters
Players cheating
Commentators afraid to challenge the cheating
Matches being hyped up beyond all proportion
Lazy young English players being paid too much when they have achieved nothing
The national team suffering as a result
Football pundits moaning at the national team but then getting back into the world's most exciting league every August
The devaluing of the FA cup
Pop stars muscling in on the game purely for their own benefit
Advertising betting companies
Corrupt FIFA awarding world cups to countries with atrocious human rights records where the summer temperature is over 40 degrees
The gentrification of football stadiums
Mk Dons
Wembley stadium and it's sucking up to everything corporate
Woolwich
Agents - Scum. Many are in the pockets of managers, club owners etc. The managers know if the kid will get offered a professional contract with the club, "they" (club, manager, mysterious parties) offer a contract (£20kpw) he will tip off "his man" who will destabilise the relationship with the player and current agent/manager usually a parent. Within days of new agent representing the player the new contract is then presented, makes him look like a genius, but he's never seen the lad play, massive scam that is known about and backs turned because everyone has a cut somewhere.
Third party ownership - effectively slavery
Nike or Adidas athletes - heavily suspect they are now becoming involved in the movement of player transfers - e.g. Pogba.
You mention Betting companies - Spot on. But it goes deeper, they are the number one source of income (sponsorship/advertising/partnering) in the game. The press/media who I would want to be impartial, are also dependent upon their revenue, they are unlikely to investigate them if they are paid by them, this even goes down to a reporter level, many write or do VLOG's for their sites i.e. get paid.........everyone is now dependant on their revenue.

Personally - I don't care about the amount of money in the game. It's a professional sport after all. But the lack of appropriate governance that exists allows for scam, upon scam upon scam. There is no will or desire to address it within the governing bodies.

Last edited:
Premier League clubs heading for financial ruin says new report

I don't know whether the authors of the quoted report have any interests or are completely neutral, but surely, SURELY there's a ceiling on the amount of money available to football?
I believe the English domestic market, BT Sky and then secondary ITV and BBC are maxed out. Both Sky and BT are loosing viewers not gaining them, there is no way they will pay more for broadcast rights next time come to renew. However, these potential losses could feasibly be made up and surpassed by improved international broadcast rights of the PL, namely US and China the PL audience is still growing in these areas and as long as that continues then so will the money.

Good time to build a stadium though, the Sky/BT deal runs for 3yrs, first year was last year, so two more years to run. Plus we have in a most un-Spursy way coincided to get into CL!

Last edited:
I believe the English domestic market, BT Sky and then secondary ITV and BBC are maxed out. Both Sky and BT are loosing viewers not gaining them, there is no way they will pay more for broadcast rights next time come to renew. However, these potential losses could feasibly be made up and surpassed by improved international broadcast rights of the PL, namely US and China the PL audience is still growing in these areas and as long as that continues then so will the money.

Good time to build a stadium though, the Sky/BT deal runs for 3yrs, first year was last year, so two more years to run. Plus we have in a most un-Spursy way coincided to get into CL!

Hmmm. According to this article: FREE ARTICLE: Premier League international media-rights revenues set to increase by almost 50% ... the Asia-Pacific region paid more than Europe in the 2016-2019 PL broadcast rights auction.So maybe the capacity for growth isn't as big as we might think.

Granted there is a vast population difference between the 2 areas, but there will also be a relative interest difference I would imagine?

Yes or no? Depending on how old you are will dictate your answer! My answer is yes, the actual playing of football comes way down the list of priorities merchandise,money,tv,agents,wages,advertising seem to be far more important....thoughts

No, not at all.

Football is extremely successful. Largest sport in the world, with the greatest reach in terms of both audiences and players on all levels, afaik, and it keeps growing. It's also by far the sport with the most professional athletes, allowing more people to make a living of it than any other sport.

The quality keeps evolving, as does the accessibility throughout the world.

Yes, it makes some people filthy rich, and the biggest teams in the world may not prioritize the working class local fans, but in the bigger picture those are quite minor issues.

Football has never been better. At least partly because of money.

You have to feel sorry for the West Broms, Watfords etc. We are a big club, but when Conte comes out (after winning the league and buying three new players including a 70m striker) and says he still needs 3 or 4 more new players to win things, how the fuck are WE supposed to compete, let alone WBA etc???

No.

I think football was worse in the 80's and early 90's, when it was less about money. Look at all the horrific things that went on (how fans got treated, corruption, poor standards causing deaths etc.). Just my opinion and have plucked these out of the top of my head, from my general feeling on modern football,

I'll make my point in a bullet list, just for SausageVince SausageVince
  • The money aspect gets countries more 'interested' in developing their own football (China, for example). Getting the world interested in a common sport is good for relations imo.
  • The high-profile nature has helped to bring in better standards for fans. I'm pretty sure, on last check, that the ticket prices are hugely behind inflation. (I'm sure I remember it being £30 a ticket in the 90's?)
  • It has probably kept hundreds of clubs alive with investment from transfers and, in the case of Fulham/QPR, deluded owners with more money than sense.
  • It's slowly providing more for society, with the interaction the PL makes with schools and what not
  • It's given kids an active, health sport to fantasise over, in a time where almost everything else is on screens indoors. I don't think kids would be as interested without the money/fame dilution.
  • For UK football, we must have raked in some taxes from the fanciful billionaires.
  • If there was no money in football, John Thomas would have nothing to talk about.
  • Oh, and it gives people something obvious to fucking whinge about when going on blindly about how much soldiers get paid.

Yes because -huge amount of money as we see today, keeps it plodding on regardless, losing moralities and real purpose on its way.
As a league we generate so much money we are held to ransom by clubs from other leagues so creating a market that has to crash and burn in hell.

Chelsea are a perfect example of Hell on earth. They and other clubs who spend openly to buy sucess are the true enbodiment of evil in football.

So yes, money ruins football. .

Can the current financial clout of football be sustained? If all supporters refused to pay the subscriptions then surely the money would dry up?

Surely. And if all people just started to act nice, constructive and productive, we would all live comfortable, peaceful lives. Sounds easy, but it's never going to happen.

I can't even get myself to stop paying the bastards that air the PL in my country of residence, even though it's very expensive, I need to save money for my new house, the number of games they show seems to be going down while prices go up and they keep prioritising the "big four", particularly the shitty, underperforming clubs in red, over us.

Back
Top Bottom