Has son surpassed Harry Kane as our most important player?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who is our best/most important player

• Son

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • Kane

Votes: 90 69.2%
  • PEH

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Lloris

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Doherty

Votes: 10 7.7%

• Total voters
Actual words used:

"wouldn't be so extraordinary "

There's no need to get hung up on whether or not Son is "special"... That's just needlessly precious; his abilities are what they are.... No magic required.
Come on Airfixx. If someone said such thing like "Kane wouldn't be so extraordinary if he didn't have leagues best #7 scoring goal for him", then you would be all over him. You have criticized sons fans for saying something a lot less than this in the past.

What VirginiaSpurs said imo is no different than comments that were made by those who you call Son fanboy

Come on Airfixx. If someone said such thing like "Kane wouldn't be so extraordinary if he didn't have leagues best #7 scoring goal for him", then you would be all over him.

I think you need to consider the specific words being used in both the original post and my reply.

If you're offended by the notion that Son isn't "special" (your words; no the OG poster's); then you're being precious.

For someone to say Son is "less extraordinary" than some think due to the excellence of the service he is receiving, it's a point of view that can be debated..... But on footballing terms, not some soppy tit-for-tat "yeh, well you say stuff about my fave the I don't like"-basis.

(...And before you go there; I've not suggested I agree with the above opinion btw.)

You have criticized sons fans for saying something a lot less than this in the past.

Care to provide a specific example?

What VirginiaSpurs said imo is no different than comments that were made by those who you call Son fanboy

Well that's somewhat blinkered but there you go.... The persecution complex is there for all to see in this very thread.

Kane is our best player, and is a Son enabler.

Son wouldn't be so extraordinary for us if he didn't have the league's best #10 feeding him through.
This works both ways. If you're English/Kane fan, you probably see it this way and vice versa if you're Korean/Son fan. As a neutral American, I see arguments for both sides but there's one crucial thing people are forgetting about Son - his actual goal tally compared to his xG (10 goals vs 3 xG) is off the charts which suggests Kane has benefited more as a playmaker from Son than the other way around. The article below pretty much summarizes how great Son has been:

Separately, I think a lot of people forget that Son carried Spurs when Kane was absent w/ injuries throughout the past two years. For instance, Son was by far our best/most important player during that run to the CL final and helping us clinch a top 4 spot. In hindsight, how he was able to lead the Spurs during that run is more extraordinary if you think about the players he was playing with... think about where most of our starting 11 are today:

Eriksen - lost confidence well before the transfer. no longer w/ team
Jan - father time caught up well before he left. no longer w/ team
Tripper - solid but no longer w/ team
Llorente - always a squad player but no longer w/ team
Lucas - squad/bench
Dele - see eriksen above. barely been a squad player
Rose - RIP

And don't tell me that these guys were anything close to being good/great after the 17/18 season. Don't get me started on who we had on our bench.

This is the talent Son was playing with yet he still helped get us to the CL final and help secure us a spot in the top 4. So to say that Sonny would not be extraordinary w/o Kane is completely false. He has been great/extraordinary for the past 2.5 years but difference now is that we have a proper team and tactics built around his talents.

Also, HUGO should get a lot more praise as well. Unfortunately he plays a position that isn't valued.

Last edited:
Another goal for sonny yesterday v top oppo. Hes surpassed kane no doubt.

The problem for son is the same as neymar at barca. Kane is a local boy that has come through the youth system so he will always be no 1 no matter what
Now that he's proven to be consistent, he's surpassed Kane as a goal scorer and perhaps will get more accolades when the seasons over. It's not just the number of goals but the types of goals he's scored which has me more impressed. He's also the one player on our squad where opposing teams have to change their tactics/attacking dynamics because of counter threat. Overall though, Kane still edges Son as far as overall importance because of his versatility in virtually every aspect of the game.

To the guy that said Son wouldnt be extraordinary without Kane feeding him, Son would be even more extraordinary if he was in a more attacking team like liverpool or mancity. Of course, all attackers need someone to feed them the ball. They arent supposed to win the ball themselves. But Son can score all sorts of goals without someone having to feed him a pass into the box.

He didnt use to be so consistent as he is this season so far. Definitely gone up a few notches.

I don’t know if he’s more important than Kane but both are essential to this team. Son’s finishing ability is second to none. He seems to get better and better every season.

Son would start for any team in the world. It’s surprising that he hasn’t been linked to a Madrid or Barcelona.

Pointless thread really...

Kane is proving to fans of Son that Kane is PL's best player right now if not in the world. Son is proving to fans of Kane that Son is equally important and a Spurs legend already. These two won't be getting the spotlight without each other. They should just get married imo.

Jose is trying to create a system that gets more from son and it appears to be working. I think kane's goalscoring is sacrificed somewhat but he's that good of an all round player that it still works for the team even if I'dlike to see it switched up now and again. Ideally I'd like a bit more output on the other side and from around the team in general to compliment this but overall you have to say it's worked this season even if at times it can be a bit frustrating.

Son is our most impressive striker this season so far. Kane is our most important player. Kane offers so much more defensively and in the build up than Son does.

It's needs mentioning that there's a lot of Son fanboys who have started following spurs simply because he plays for us.

Go and look at the comments of any Son related post on Twitter, Facebook and Youtube, and you'll see loads of them asking him to leave us and go to Barca or something to win some trophies.

Some of them are huge pricks that we could do without.

Back
Top Bottom