Have Spurs Slumped Again?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
Here’s some old news for you; Spurs collapsed last season, picking up 16 points from their last 13 games, having reached mid-February on 53 points from 25 games. All Spurs fans have been wary of the same happening again this year. Was the cause physical, psychological or a combination of both? A settled first XI was favoured by Harry Redknapp in the league, and AVB has similar inclinations (his frequent rotation of the centre-backs notwithstanding). Injuries to key players – [...]

Continue reading...

So let me get this clear, Spurs are in the middle of a slump and are going out of the Europa League....as long as we ignore Gareth Bale's goals.

Are you fucking mental?

it's not as basic as that though, he asks the questions and raises points about Bale (arguably) getting us out of trouble. It's not as explicit that we're playing shit and we'll slump again, well, that's how I've read it anyway. :)

Performance slump rather than results. I would agree that we can look quite boring at times but we also look reasonably solid at the back. I think the injury to Sandro and the return of Scott Parker has a lot to do with it.

So Bale is our Chicharito/Dzeko... So what?
We can’t afford any more passengers on the Bale Express.
With that i agree though. Clint, and especially Ade need to step up their game. Some people have been praising his hold up/link up play so much... To the point that they have probably forgotten that he's supposed to be a striker and the only things that he should link up are the ball and the back of the net.

I wish I hadn't...I've heard about twisting the facts to suit the story but this is just taking the piss.
don't we all twist facts to suit an agenda though? In some shape or form? You can't really deny that we've not been playing brilliantly of late so the fact he says a slump "could" be on the cards isn't massively wide of the truth.

FWIW I don't think we will slump but as has already been mentioned on this thread, it wouldn't be Spurs if we didn't have a bit of fear.

Footballing Cliche warning...

Isn't the sign of all truly great teams that they pick up wins and draws when they aren't playing at their best?

:avblol:

If you "exclude Bales statistical contributions" it means we are playing with 10 men, and if you play without Bale it means someone else plays instead resulting in a completely different game. To say we would have 1 point from 9 is rubbish.

We saw earlier in the season we coped without him, now he's on a good run of form, and instead of enjoying it we're too busy worrying about what happens when(if) Bale stops scoring.. We can never win can we?

If you "exclude Bales statistical contributions" it means we are playing with 10 men, and if you play without Bale it means someone else plays instead resulting in a completely different game. To say we would have 1 point from 9 is rubbish.

We saw earlier in the season we coped without him, now he's on a good run of form, and instead of enjoying it we're too busy worrying about what happens when(if) Bale stops scoring.. We can never win can we?

Exactly, this whole "one man team argument" ignores the whole idea of cause and effect.

Put simply you cannot change the laws of time and physics. For every action there is an equal and and opposite reaction. The fact that Bale has played in every one of those games has meant that he has effected every single aspect of those games in every single way. No matter which parts of the pitch he was involved in. Had Siggurdson played in his stead for example the outcomes and performances, tactics and setup of both teams would have been utterly utterly different.

No we haven't -

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2012-2013/form-table/full

2nd in the table - above Chelsea Woolwich City to name a few

If that's a slump I'll have a full scale collapse to 1st place :)

If we continue in our present slump we'll end up in our highest league position since 1990 and will have guaranteed CL group stage football by finishing 3rd, so carry on slumping lads.

Oh and we just beat Lyon last night as well.

No we haven't -

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2012-2013/form-table/full

2nd in the table - above Chelsea Woolwich City to name a few

If that's a slump I'll have a full scale collapse to 1st place :)

If we continue in our present slump we'll end up in our highest league position since 1990 and will have guaranteed CL group stage football by finishing 3rd, so carry on slumping lads.

Oh and we just beat Lyon last night as well.

But don't you understand, we're only 2nd in the form chart because we are scoring goals, if you take away all those goals our form has been really poor. :avbfacepalm:

The idea that we have slumped again is nonesensical to me. Players always have purple patches. I never see anyone saying Defoe is a one man team when he goes on a scoring run.

I can think of times when VdV has carried us for a period, same Modric, same Parker and even Palacios saving us from relegation. There is very often a man of the moment, the only difference being Bale is having his name mentioned along with Ronaldo and Messi... So it's one man Tottenham.

Let's not make any bones. It would be a terrible loss to lose him, as it would Messi/Ronaldo. But Real and Barca would carry on and so will we.

As for last years slump, I am 100% positive that we would have finished 3rd had Redknapp not begun clearing his desk in his mind as soon as the England job became free.

Back
Top Bottom