Have we re-signed Christian Eriksen yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Go.on name one that we can acquire?

Here's the rules

1. Within budget (50m, 100k a week)
2. Willing to compete with Ndombele and Lo Celso for a starting spot
3. Player is happy to join a club that hasn't won a significant trophy in the lifetime of any player at the club (except LLoris and Hart!!)
4. Willing to live in London in the worst pandemic in living memory
5. Wiling to suffer English weather
6. Willing to suffer English media culture
7. Willing to pay high taxes (compared with Italian, French and Spanish football)
8. Did I mention the weather?

Go!

Who should we get? Messi? De Bryne?

During his time with Spurs

- Most goals from direct free kicks
- Most assists from free kicks
- Most key chances created from free kicks

But yeah, he was rubbish right.
During his last 12 months, he was a passenger, offered nothing, no desire to chase the ball down, no 50-50 challenges, his hunger & motivation was gone.

Fine, he got his move, and got even worse, why the hell would we want him back, got to many passengers already, he is toxic now.

We should be aiming for higher calibre of players to take us to the next level, not someone who takes a good odd free-kick

again, haven't watched his play, but surely to contribute 98/201 you cant just saunter around? he must sprint at the right time.... nothing peeves me off more than a 'lazy' player... but i probably could forgive him if he could contribute 5-10 goals (not at H and S's expense) for half a season
Again, I never used the phrase lazy.
I just said it's not hard to jog 10k in 90 minutes thus it shouldn't be a badge of honour

During his time with Spurs

- Most goals from direct free kicks
- Most assists from free kicks
- Most key chances created from free kicks

But yeah, he was rubbish right.
You forgot most games played
You forgot how reliant we were on him whearas his peers had other players doing similar things spreading the load.

What was his ratio of goals vs free kicks. That would tell a more accurate story of how good he was at it.
If he scored 10 in 5 years but took 300 it's actually dreadful.

For someone that is below 30, not injury prone, and has played less than 400 top flight games, it will be disappointing if he is physically done at this stage of his career.
He may not be old but he played constantly for club and country for over a decade and basically never missed a game at that point. That takes it out of anyone but also different people peak and decline at different times - from what I can see Eriksen has lost a bit since his later 20s.

Might not be his body that is giving up.

Confused Cameron Smith GIF by Camjaysmith

Wouldn't be the worst re-signing in our history - Chimbonda, Keane, Defoe...... Bale (tbc)

As good as he was for years - the very best of the Bale cash signings - we have grown as a team and a squad - we need to look towards the future. Eriksen is still a talented player but should be looking for an opportunity elsewhere.

Here's the rules

1. Within budget (50m, 100k a week)
2. Willing to compete with Ndombele and Lo Celso for a starting spot
3. Player is happy to join a club that hasn't won a significant trophy in the lifetime of any player at the club (except LLoris and Hart!!)
4. Willing to live in London in the worst pandemic in living memory
5. Wiling to suffer English weather
6. Willing to suffer English media culture
7. Willing to pay high taxes (compared with Italian, French and Spanish football)
8. Did I mention the weather?

Go!

Who should we get? Messi? De Bryne?
Tough criteria, off the top of my head I'd say Auoar due to his price dropping since Lyon are desperate and Buendia from Norwich.

Wouldn't be the worst re-signing in our history - Chimbonda, Keane, Defoe...... Bale (tbc)

As good as he was for years - the very best of the Bale cash signings - we have grown as a team and a squad - we need to look towards the future. Eriksen is still a talented player but should be looking for an opportunity elsewhere.

Defoe was better in his second stint here than his first to be fair.

Just to recap:

A loan deal that would last until the 30th of June, 2021 is what has apparently been offered (Fabrizio Romano)
If there's no money to transfer a young talented player in, and Eriksen effectively replaces Gedson, then why not?

But if Eriksens wages will hinder our summer transfers, I'd rather we sit tight. Or focus on bringing a CB.

He can get stuck straight in at least. He's done it all many times before and knows the drill. At least he doesn't need months of hand holding or time out while some mysterious injury repairs.

Back
Top Bottom