Have We Signed Bruno Fernandes Yet?????

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We dont need him.

When we have two ageing centre halves currently in the last year of their deal, only one senior right back who is as inconsistent a player as anyone in the league, a senior left back who wants out and isnt the same player and the quality of options we have in central midfield the last thing you do is spunk 80 million quid on a position that we dont really need to strengthen.

I'd love some Hollywood signings - Sancho and dybala would be my dream but it's not going to happen.

The team will be built around kane and dele with a strong defence behind them. And defensive options are what we need.

I don't think we need Hollywood signings at all. I'd prefer a more balanced approach to transfers... signing someone to fill in a position of need rather than a make a statement to the football world. Our approach to the market has been good so far, the improvements should be made in terms of scouting I'd say.

“We are not a club that is going to make big transfers”

Slightly worrying.

Big means £70m+ fees, which yes, we obviously won’t be spending.

That doesn’t mean we can’t sign good players, we just need to be bolder in signing young talents. We had opportunities to sign Maddison, De Jong, Grealish etc and let them slip away. We need to buy these players a year before their value skyrockets, not a year after.

Poch was seemingly very picky about signings and combined with Levy’s penny pinching it ended up a disaster the last two years. For Mou to succeed here him and Levy have to make more forceful decisions on transfers when younger talents emerge. If we think they have the quality then buy them ASAP before someone else does. Just think where we could have been if we’d signed Maddison or Grealish a year ago...

That doesn’t mean we can’t sign good players, we just need to be bolder in signing young talents. We had opportunities to sign Maddison, De Jong, Grealish etc and let them slip away. We need to buy these players a year before their value skyrockets, not a year after.
We tried to sign De Jong and he thought about it, but eventually he decided to stay one more year at Ajax. One year later it was an easy decision for him to join Barca.

Poch was seemingly very picky about signings and combined with Levy’s penny pinching it ended up a disaster the last two years. For Mou to succeed here him and Levy have to make more forceful decisions on transfers when younger talents emerge. If we think they have the quality then buy them ASAP before someone else does. Just think where we could have been if we’d signed Maddison or Grealish a year ago...

I agree with your broader point, but we tried to sign both De Jong (Ajax didn't want to sell) & Grealish (40m pricetag was banter.... Still is IMO)... The latter wouldn't have elevated us either.

Maddison and Grealish wouldn’t be the players they are now had they joined us as they wouldn’t have had the game time.

We weren't allowed to sign them, Sammy said they weren't good enough

I agree with your broader point, but we tried to sign both De Jong (Ajax didn't want to sell) & Grealish (40m pricetag was banter.... Still is IMO)... The latter wouldn't have elevated us either.
The way I remember Ajax were okay with the fee. But De Jong decided to stay put because he knew that Barca was interested.

We need to use any money we have in January in more defensive players. Good tactic to kill the rumour that Levy will spend recklessly because Jose is Manager.

From what I remember it was always Sporting demanding 70 mil up front with us offering 45 base + bonuses that would take it up to 60.

The Sporting president is also not the most trustworthy of characters. Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb can probably tell us more about how he is looked at in Portugal but wasn't it rumored that he let the ultras into the training ground to beat up his players?
They changed président. This one IS less crazier then the other.
This one is basically numbers related. U show the money u get the player lol

Grealish would have got loads of game time last season with Dembele leaving and Dele being injured.

I don’t believe he would have done. Based on the final year or so of Poch’s reign, nothing gives me the impression that a player of that type would’ve gotten games.
Bear in mind we’re looking at Grealish as the player he is now, because of those minutes. At the time we were looking at signing him, most of us (me included) didn’t think he was at the requisite level. Wrongly I might add but my original point was in reference to a number of supposedly talented youngsters who in recent years have simply not been given the opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom