Have we signed Frank de Boer yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whats the score, Frank de Boer?

• Total voters
At the request of Mensa Mensa , this is an alternative thread for Frank be Boer.

I think based on what is said in the ITK and forums, Frank could perhaps be the front runner behind Louis van Gaal for the job, should Sherwood be let go.

Frank de Boer
Frank-de-Boer-007.jpg

Nationality: Dutch

For those not old enough to have witnessed the beauty that was 1990's Ajax, Frank was a full back who came through the youth ranks at Ajax after signing as a 14 year old. He is a twin, with his other, slightly older, brother being Ronald de Boer. Both brothers have played together at more than one club in their careers, having both had spells at Barcelona and Rangers (although frank joined Rangers as Ronald left pretty much).
Frank & Ronald both signed for Barcelona for a combined fee that was reported to be over £20m - this wasn't too far off the world record transfer fee at that time, so both brothers together were quite the package, although Ronald played as a more forward player.

Coaching History

After retiring in 2006, Frank took up a youth team coaching role at Ajax. This was around the time Ajax had something of a manager turnover, with Danny Blind being replaced with Henk ten Cate in the year of 2006, and Frank joining the club some time during the ten Cate era. Ten Cate left to join Chelsea as a coach in '07, before Adrie Koster had a spell as head coach. Van Basten took over in 2008, but resigned in 2009 after failing to get CL qualification. John van 't Schip was interim manager in 2009 before Martin Jol took the manager's job.
Whilst all this was going on, de Boer was also assistant manager of the Dutch national team.
Jol had a decent first season, but suffered the
humiliation of being beaten to a title by Steve McClaren. An approach that summer by Fulham was rejected, but Jol ended up resigning in Dec 2010 anyway, with Ajax 4th in the league and 5 points off the pace.

Management History

De Boer was given the caretaker role as a rookie (much like Sherwood in a roundabout way). De Boer went on to win the league that season, and also runners up of the domestic cup.
He also won the league in 2011/12 and 2012/13, although he has relatively stuggled with European football, having failed to progress past the group stage of the CL and the last 16 of the EL (the were knocked out by Red Bull Salzburg this season 6-1 on aggregate).

Despite this, his stats are:

P135 W82 D26 L27
GS 305 GA 152 GD +153

His win rate is around 60%

He apparently turned down the Liverpool job to stay at Ajax.

He has worked with Eriksen and Vertonghen before, they will no doubt be happy with him as he helped them win some honours with the club, but some might see him as a risk, perhaps undervaluing a league that makes Shteve McLarensh look successful.

The managers who failed before him show that it isn't perhaps that clear and he could well be a very talented manager.

Can get him in after he wins the title again, not that we care but its a smooth break as Bergkamp takes over at Ajax with little disruption. That means we can get him in EARLY to get feet under table and deal with all the players not going to the world cup.

He is not scared of going out of his comfort zone having played in Scotland and Middle East, been a winner in most places he has gone, is properly connected with people throughout Europe, of course there are always massive chances to fail at Tottenham but I am sure he is young enough, hungry enough to take our squad by the balls and give Tottenham and the premier league a go, a good size club for him after Ajax and we can get him on a 3yr + deal initially

PLUS HE KNOWS HOW TO PLAY LEFT BACK OR WHAT IT TAKES TO PLAY THERE! Give him a shirt!

Last edited:
Wouldn't say no, but would rather have the guy who taught him.
Haha depends which one, he's worked with nearly every dutch manager that's existed, Bert van Marwijk with the national team on top of that massive list of Ajax managers. Van Gaal I guess you mean, as his coach at Ajax and Barca.

Seems a bit AVBish, in that he is a young manager with success in a "small" league. Believes in a system of play and would no doubt try to implement that with us.
Unlike AVB though he has a playing career to reflect on, and has done more time in that league refining his craft.
Would be interesting, for sure - and Im not against the idea, though I prefer the idea of a more experienced coach as a preference.

i couldnt see rodgers working out with the bin dippers.
whats important is that, if levy appoints him, he has the balls to see it through, if form drops, for once.

Given we have Eriksen and Vertonghen alredy fans of his and used to his style, and a number of players I believe would be well suited I think we wouldnt be too far from a very good fit for him. Its then just a case of time to let it settle.

Like Liverpool it could mean effectively writing off a season while it beds down. Id be ok with that, not sure Levy would.

Given we have Eriksen and Vertonghen alredy fans of his and used to his style, and a number of players I believe would be well suited I think we wouldnt be too far from a very good fit for him. Its then just a case of time to let it settle.

Like Liverpool it could mean effectively writing off a season while it beds down. Id be ok with that, not sure Levy would.
well, you have to, at some point, let someone see it through..if not you are always rebuilding and starting again. i can understand hoofing Ramos cos we were really shit under ramos. but by hoofing AVB this season was effectively written off, i think this is the one he HAS to get right

well, you have to, at some point, let someone see it through..if not you are always rebuilding and starting again. i can understand hoofing Ramos cos we were really shit under ramos. but by hoofing AVB this season was effectively written off, i think this is the one he HAS to get right

I agree, I just wonder if thats the tact Levy will take. Precedent suggests not.

For once Liverpool are a good example. Whoever comes in, I hope Levy sticks with them for a while no matter what.

I think he's my preferred choice to be honest. I want him to build something special here with the right time and backing from the board, and not put under pressure at the first hint of trouble.

But will Levy do this? Probably not unfortunately.

I would say that he's got 9 or 10 years on AVB, with a career as perhaps one of the best left backs of modern times (contentious), but he's certainly got a career that would justify respect from the players.

He's worked with Jan & Christian, so they would be likely to stay - both perhaps the more important players in the team in terms of talent, Jan is a cheesy smile away from being an immense player for us.

I would agree that perhaps managing Ajax isn't the most difficult job in the world, but considering the managers that tried, and failed, before him, I think he deserves a fair bit of credit and respect for it.

Louis van Gaal for me, due to his earned rep, Frank (if poss) as a very capable 2nd choice.

Interesting one but I reckon it would have to be between De Boer and LVG.
De Boer offers a youthful perhaps more contemporary view and thoughts of him being with the club for a long time excite. However he could use THFC as a stepping stone if successful, thus it is likely he would only be around for a few years.
LVG on the other hand is likely to only be around for a few years then go and retire to the beach.
So in both instances they would only be around for 2/3 yrs then we go shopping again.
I'd be happy with 2/3 yrs if it means success and who would give you more of chance of success = i'd bet LVG as he seems to have more grunt, and that is what we need, oh and some flare of course.

Back
Top Bottom