Clément Lenglet

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Being a defender you are only going to get better under Conte because he knows how to coach defenders and the formation and tactics he uses brings out the best in defenders. I really think it could work out well.
The thign is you want Conte to bring an already quality player like Romero, Bastoni etc. to an elite level, not raise the levels of error prone or technically/physically limited players to a good level.

I suppose we have no option since Bastoni and co aren't willing to move.

The thign is you want Conte to bring an already quality player like Romero, Bastoni etc. to an elite level, not raise the levels of error prone or technically/physically limited players to a good level.

I agree, and it does look like we will have to wait for that elite player unfortunately. I guess we will keep trying and likely to land one next winter or next summer, if not before should the situation change.

Yep. I think the Lenglet signing is smart as a bit of a punt on the idea that we can reinvigorate his career, but the 'Conte can improve them' line really won't wash every time. He can also improve top level players and they'll end up even better.

It looks like this is happening, like you say, because of a lack of top level options. Pretty clear that if possible the club would've invested heavily in a Bastoni.

From what I’ve read and the very little I’ve seen of lenglet despite him being left footed I get the impression he is competing for the CCB role with Dier? He seem like a reader of the game rather than an aggressive L/R CB Conte prefers

From what I’ve read and the very little I’ve seen of lenglet despite him being left footed I get the impression he is competing for the CCB role with Dier? He seem like a reader of the game rather than an aggressive L/R CB Conte prefers
If he's the CCB, the issue becomes how he deals with those long balls over the top that Dier regularly faces (and wins). Also Dier is the leader in defence, always sheperding Rome/Sanchez and Davies, as well as Emerson to an extent.

Leglet doesn't seem to fit that role.

So I’ll be honest and say I don’t know much about this lad but it seems like a downgrade on the Bastoni and Torres rumours. I think either of those guys would have noticeably improved our defensive unit but is Lenglet going to do the same or is he going to be cover for Davies?

I don’t know much about Lenglet, but if the last defender we bought from Barca is anything to go by…
.. on the other hand, if Conte knows anything he knows how to pick a defender who will suit his system.

If we can't buy one of our top targets this summer, renting Lenglet for a season seems preferable to overpaying now for (LCB) Plan D, E, or F.

He has the experience (and hopefully, a change of scenery will provide the motivation) to hit the ground running for us, but if it doesn't work out, no hard feelings.

Played in a back 4, will suit a back 3
While that matter, he is very prone to mistake, and nothing special to be fair. Just because we will aign him, doesn't mean we need to make him the next coming of Maldinini or so.
And again i will judge him based on what he do with our shirt. My opinion is not high on him atm.

So I’ll be honest and say I don’t know much about this lad but it seems like a downgrade on the Bastoni and Torres rumours. I think either of those guys would have noticeably improved our defensive unit but is Lenglet going to do the same or is he going to be cover for Davies?
I think we're still interested Pau Torres aren't we?

While that matter, he is very prone to mistake, and nothing special to be fair. Just because we will aign him, doesn't mean we need to make him the next coming of Maldinini or so.
And again i will judge him based on what he do with our shirt. My opinion is not high on him atm.
Dier was prone to a mistake under Jose in a back 4, imperious in a 3. Davies was bang average in a 4, imperious in a 3. Both of them were ‘nothing special’, in fact they were worse

The formation will definitely help him IMO

Dier was prone to a mistake under Jose in a back 4, imperious in a 3. Davies was bang average in a 4, imperious in a 3. Both of them were ‘nothing special’, in fact they were worse

The formation will definitely help him IMO
Conte won't let whole formation to expose defence like it used to happen with all previous managers, when we didn't look like an unit, more like 11 guys with separate duties. That's why I love Lenglet, his ball playing abilities can flourish, and if he regains confidence his defending skills aren't poor as well. It's a win win loan for us, unbelievable how shit is Barca when it comes to market.

Back
Top Bottom