Have we signed Messi yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think 99% of their anger is directed at the club officials. Icons like Cruyff and Messi can do no wrong there.

Also...

He can always claim that he was doing it to leverage change and was making a sacrifice in leaving for the better of the club.

To be honest I'd rather Cavani (who is a free agent) to Messi.

tenor.gif

Don’t know if you remember Klinsmann, but the media gave us a chance of the league based on one signing, keep in mind very few “proper” world class players actually “came” to the premier league back then, in fact they don’t even come that much these days either...so Jurgen Klinsmann was truly a superstar signing of his era for Spurs...

Yes, I remember Klinsmania as well as his second spell with us. I also remember Paul Gascoigne and Gary Lineker who were pretty big too. But excitement isn't all about superstars, it's also about Rocket Ronny coming off the bench and scoring a hat-trick when we're 2-0 down in an FA Cup tie.

As for that other comment about Mourinho having a better points record than Redknapp, they came to the club under very different circumstances. When Harry came in, we were bottom of the league with only 2 points. When we beat Bolton 2-0, I felt like I had witnessed a miracle. I've seen three trophies but my proudest moment as a Tottenham fan was when Roman Pavlyuchenko got the last minute winner against Liverpool in the following week. Harry will always be a hero to me for the way he inspired us when we were at our lowest.

Jose has yet to prove himself IMO. Harry did it instantly.

Yes, I remember Klinsmania as well as his second spell with us. I also remember Paul Gascoigne and Gary Lineker who were pretty big too. But excitement isn't all about superstars, it's also about Rocket Ronny coming off the bench and scoring a hat-trick when we're 2-0 down in an FA Cup tie.

As for that other comment about Mourinho having a better points record than Redknapp, they came to the club under very different circumstances. When Harry came in, we were bottom of the league with only 2 points. When we beat Bolton 2-0, I felt like I had witnessed a miracle. I've seen three trophies but my proudest moment as a Tottenham fan was when Roman Pavlyuchenko got the last minute winner against Liverpool in the following week. Harry will always be a hero to me for the way he inspired us when we were at our lowest.

Jose has yet to prove himself IMO. Harry did it instantly.
Rocket Ronnie was an embarrassing signing at the time, complete back up player if there ever was one.....think you are getting mixed up here about the excitement thing, Klinsmann came and the place went mental for weeks prior to the season even starting, as happened with Ginola, those two didn’t even kick a ball and the place was buzzing.....and my point was I can’t remember a player since having that impact on the fans, sure a couple of decent players have arrived over the years and we had high hopes for them but nothing comes close to the buzz a truly world class player brings to the place...

Ps: I never mentioned Redknapp v Mourinho, think your getting me mixed up on that one...

Rocket Ronnie was an embarrassing signing at the time, complete back up player if there ever was one.....think you are getting mixed up here about the excitement thing, Klinsmann came and the place went mental for weeks prior to the season even starting, as happened with Ginola, those two didn’t even kick a ball and the place was buzzing.....and my point was I can’t remember a player since having that impact on the fans, sure a couple of decent players have arrived over the years and we had high hopes for them but nothing comes close to the buzz a truly world class player brings to the place...

You're being a bit harsh on Ronny there. He was a first team regular on the left wing in 95/96 before we signed Andy Sinton (and even then we still needed him for the FA Cup as Sinton was cup tied). He wasn't exactly Ryan Giggs but I always felt he worked hard and did the best he could for us. And, if it wasn't for his hat-trick against Southampton, Jurgen wouldn't have had the chance to get his last-minute winner at Anfield in the following round. Ronny would also have got us into the quarter finals in the following season if it hadn't been for a dramatic goal line clearance from Stuart Pearce which allowed Forest to hang on for penalties and beat us that way.

I think the rest of what you're saying is true. Even VDV didn't come close to those two but I think part of it might be down to the circumstances under which they arrived.

When Jurgen signed, we had just come out of a serious relegation battle and were 6 points in the hole before the new season started and banned from the FA Cup. When Ginola signed, the squad had been decimated by injury in the previous season, both Alan Sugar and Gerry Francis had been accused of lacking ambition and Teddy Sheringham had just left for Man Utd. When VDV signed, we had just qualified for the Champions' League and had just unearthed another world class talent in Gareth Bale.

The big signings mean more when the club isn't doing so well. Everything means more when the club isn't doing so well.

Cunt can’t play much once Dier smashed into his ankle first game can he :llorishowudoin:

Don't think it's out of the question for some bottom-half clogger to try and make a name for themselves..... Maybe not injure him on purpose per say, but go super heavy and fuck him up on accident.

Back
Top Bottom