Sergio Reguilón

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Shame this kid didn't get announced today so he could get a bit of the spotlight before the Bale Storm comes crashing in tomorrow.

Best signing of the window by far (sans Bale).

Consider how many times we spread play out towards Ben Davies on the left in the final third (and, unfortunately, how little end product actually comes from it). If I was an opposition manager, I'd actually be instructing my defence to focus more on our right hand side to take Doherty out of the game and let the ball go to Davies as much as possible as he's by far the least dangerous.

Start Reguilón instead and we're gonna tear teams apart.
You are describing a deliberate tactic of ours though. Aurier & now Doherty have completly different instructions. Davies isn't asked to attack, he's asked to do exactly the opposite thing, drop narrow into a back three. Aurier & now Doherty are asked to push-on, play as wingbacks, the space they leave behind should be covered by the back three (or midfield or even by a recovery run from the RWB dependant on the situation position).

If we start with Reguilon, then I doubt we will see BOTH FB's pushed up the pitch together because historically Jose is too risk adevrse to do this. He is more likely to not play Doherty as RWB (assuming Aurier is sold) and play a back three. So in effect the same tactic as we have played last season just with Reguilon playing as LWB and probably have Sanchez/Dier/Toby/Tanganga making up a back 3.

I would love to see us have BOTH FB's pushed up the pitch but doubt we will do this under Jose. Who knows, maybe he will, as the pressure mounts on him because of his style of football continues to suck the life out of Spurs fans.

I think this was a position of big need. Davies was not close to good enough as a LB if we want to be competing for the top 4.

But I agree that it is a nice signing not just because of the player but because it signifies we are not happy to just maintain a position that is at best ok. It shows a little ambition from the team that has been missing for at least a year, if not longer.

It would have been so easy to just keep up the 6/10 myth about Davies and try to hide him with our LB stays back formation but instead they went out and got a player that can not only do that role better but allow us to play a variety of formations and tactics.

It is a really great thing to see from the club in my view.

And yet Davies has been left back for a team consistently finishing top 4 the past few years. Anyone think the injuries he's had past couple of years might have just impacted his form a bit. The guys a model pro, who has never let the club down and Jose loves that in a player. Pathetic how the boo boys have rounded on him (along with Sisokko and Dier) after their last targets left the club.

It's great we've signed another left back, but anyone thinking this is the end of Ben starting games for us is going to be sadly disappointed. Both F.B.s on either flank (if Aurier stays) will get plenty of game time. Best way for everyone to look at this is to see that competition for the starting spot can only benefit the team.

And yet Davies has been left back for a team consistently finishing top 4 the past few years. Anyone think the injuries he's had past couple of years might have just impacted his form a bit. The guys a model pro, who has never let the club down and Jose loves that in a player. Pathetic how the boo boys have rounded on him (along with Sisokko and Dier) after their last targets left the club.

It's great we've signed another left back, but anyone thinking this is the end of Ben starting games for us is going to be sadly disappointed. Both F.B.s on either flank (if Aurier stays) will get plenty of game time. Best way for everyone to look at this is to see that competition for the starting spot can only benefit the team.
It's not really about being boo boys. Rose used to be first choice LB and Davies would be rotated with him. That's what Davies is good for, squad rotation, he shouldn't be an automatic first choice starter, ever.
Players get older, go off the boil and suffer injuries. If you really want to see spurs win something you need to take off the blinkers. Davies, Dele, dier, winks, sissoko are all decent squad players that's all. Sure they all gave us some great moments but you're deluded if you think they shouldn't be upgraded just because they've been good pros (while receiving many many thousands of pounds)

I'm glad we've upgraded on Davies. Doesn't mean I'm going to hate on him though. I think it's fair to see than Ben has been an excellent servant for the club, and deserves our respect (in the same way that Dawson gave everything for the club).

It's just that we've moved on and now we need better.

Looking at our potential schedule this season, we'll still need him in any case so he's still got a big role to play. But I expect ole regs to be first choice.

Davies has been a good servant. Doesn't complain, gets on with it and has had some great games for us.

He started alot of games in our most successful ever Premier League season. Same amount as Danny Rose infact.

Gets a bit of a hard time due to his style as opposed to his actual ability. But as he can play left back or at centre back in a 3, he can be pretty valuable with his experience.

I look forward to seeing Reguilon though. Do prefer an exciting attacking full back.

I'm glad we've upgraded on Davies. Doesn't mean I'm going to hate on him though. I think it's fair to see than Ben has been an excellent servant for the club, and deserves our respect (in the same way that Dawson gave everything for the club).

Looking at our potential schedule this season, we'll still need him in any case so he's still got a big role to play. But I expect ole regs to be first choice.

Yeah, it's great that we now have 2 solid left back options. Whether as left back or left centre back in a back 3, Ben's going to still get a fair bit of playing time.

That's fair. I think we can all be guilty of hating on some of our players at times, but Davies has never complained, always worked hard and very reliable fitness wise.

His limited technical ability just makes him vulnerable and shouldn't be first choice, but he's the perfect back up for left/centre back.

When compared to Rose's attitude, it really is night and day.

You are describing a deliberate tactic of ours though. Aurier & now Doherty have completly different instructions. Davies isn't asked to attack, he's asked to do exactly the opposite thing, drop narrow into a back three. Aurier & now Doherty are asked to push-on, play as wingbacks, the space they leave behind should be covered by the back three (or midfield or even by a recovery run from the RWB dependant on the situation position).

If we start with Reguilon, then I doubt we will see BOTH FB's pushed up the pitch together because historically Jose is too risk adevrse to do this. He is more likely to not play Doherty as RWB (assuming Aurier is sold) and play a back three. So in effect the same tactic as we have played last season just with Reguilon playing as LWB and probably have Sanchez/Dier/Toby/Tanganga making up a back 3.

I would love to see us have BOTH FB's pushed up the pitch but doubt we will do this under Jose. Who knows, maybe he will, as the pressure mounts on him because of his style of football continues to suck the life out of Spurs fans.

We seemed to be playing with both full backs pushed up last night - granted that was against a bunch of farmers.

I think with such attacking wingbacks who have just signed on big deals he will find a way to make it work.

Seemed like Hojberg was dropping in deep to still maintain a 3 at the back last night so maybe that is the solution - a 3-4-3 system when we are attacking with the deepest centre mid dropping into the back 3.

That way you have a serious threat from either flank.

It would be criminal to waste their attacking talents.

At the same time, it gives us the option to do as you say and rotate the advanced fullback with Davies or Tanganga coming in on the other side. Good options to have.

Real Madrid can re-sign Sergio Reguilón for €45million as part of the buy-back clause confirmed in the agreement with Tottenham Hotspur. [Fabrizio Romano]

It's not really about being boo boys. Rose used to be first choice LB and Davies would be rotated with him. That's what Davies is good for, squad rotation, he shouldn't be an automatic first choice starter, ever.
Players get older, go off the boil and suffer injuries. If you really want to see spurs win something you need to take off the blinkers. Davies, Dele, dier, winks, sissoko are all decent squad players that's all. Sure they all gave us some great moments but you're deluded if you think they shouldn't be upgraded just because they've been good pros (while receiving many many thousands of pounds)
Nailed it. Perfectly possible to dispense legitimate criticism whilst respecting the player. I admire Davies, he's a great pro, a model professional (as I would be for a gazillion pounds a year), and been great for our club. I think he should stay and he'll certainly get game time given our congested fixture list. I also happen to think he's not quite at the level required to be a first-choice left back for a top, top team, and there's no shame in that.

Sissoko, Davies, Dier, Aurier et al. are good squad players - good pros and have a role to play, and don't deserve disrespect. But it's sensible to be realistic about what their capabilities are too.

Davies should definitely stay, squad depth is important - particularly IVO the amount of games we have to play this season. We need the competition, Davies will suit certain games / opposition. Also the fact he can play LCB if needed should not be forgotten

Davies is probaly our most consistant defender, if there is a trophy for that he would win it!

We seemed to be playing with both full backs pushed up last night - granted that was against a bunch of farmers.

I think with such attacking wingbacks who have just signed on big deals he will find a way to make it work.

Seemed like Hojberg was dropping in deep to still maintain a 3 at the back last night so maybe that is the solution - a 3-4-3 system when we are attacking with the deepest centre mid dropping into the back 3.

That way you have a serious threat from either flank.

It would be criminal to waste their attacking talents.

At the same time, it gives us the option to do as you say and rotate the advanced fullback with Davies or Tanganga coming in on the other side. Good options to have.
We will rarely play against teams that win "the 'no you have the ball" battle. Mid-table sides now out possession us in the PL. They also play through us, as opposed to arround or over with long balls.

It looked shit last night because Jose's training is focused on positions when we don't have the ball, the attacking is left to the forwards to wing it on their own. Other than having a WB as an attacking outlet, it's all about our transitions and leaving it up to them to work it out on the fly.

Trust me, Jose will not push both FB's/WB's up the pitch together against "normal" oppo. The only time I see this happening is if we are chasing a game (I can't remember the game but Davies was pushed up in this scenario last season in a 2nd half of a game we were losing).

You can't argue with igula you should know he is Alex Ferguson,Brian Clough,Guardiola and Mourinho all rolled into one. He has dominated championship and football manager for many years and knows everything there is about football

Back
Top Bottom