Have we signed the Mighty Amrabat?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lucas is a baked bean, do we need another?

• Yes

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 44 65.7%

• Total voters
Well this potential deal rubs me in weird way...

I mean I understand - we should trust Conte. And it's not like unexiting signings always turn out poorly.

But at the same time -
- checked his highlights clip, wow, pretty much first time I got bored watching highlight reel... after like 40 sec. Most of the notable moments were down to extremely slow game tempo- even Scott Parker father could sniff those passes out and make takcles when given that much room
- he is listed as DM and quite honestly I don't get why we need additional one? Our midfield is lacking any kind of creativity and quicker ball movement. If anything then Skippy as DM should be currently our no1 pick for midfield position. Why not bring in new players that would be more creative and technically capable?

All in all if his addition will be one of the additions to CM and we get someone more impressive as well, then I can see the point of it - we can take a low risk deal, get him on loan and see if he is up to standard. But if he will be only addition to department that currently massively lacks technical quality... well then I will lose my shit. And obviously join the "Levy out now" side.

One can make such opportunistic deals when situation is fine. But if your house is burning, you wouldn't like to see only car responding to the call be a firetruck written off from active duty and not seen any movement from the place in garage in past 8 months....

He came third in the 19/20 série A player of the season and has struggled with injuries lately.

I don’t know anything about this player but please don’t assume your ignorance is worth more than what Conte wants.

The idea that this is the player that Conte wanted and not the player that he settled for with Levy's stupid financial restrictions is insane.

I understand many need to defend the club and any move they make but if this was Conte's choice than that is a very concerning sign, not some positive that should have us overlook how much this move makes zero sense.

I suspect he is the fall back option if they don't get someone better for the position. Like most years I doubt anything happens until the end of the window. Ideally they would get their first choice at the positions which need reinforcing but if they don't, and the expected outgoing players leave, you'll have to have reasonably priced plugs in to see through until the end of the year. He should be OK in that role.

The idea that this is the player that Conte wanted and not the player that he settled for with Levy's stupid financial restrictions is insane.

I understand many need to defend the club and any move they make but if this was Conte's choice than that is a very concerning sign, not some positive that should have us overlook how much this move makes zero sense.
Can you explain clearly why this move makes zero sense?

I have no idea but it seems like people are having strong feelings based on extremely limited information.

Whoever think a top coach like Conte would want 5th tier reserve player like Amrabat need a serious brain check.
Media use this kind of rumours all the time, as x coach want this player and blq, blq blq.....
Won't be surpised if the rumours comes from Levy, the part where Conte is happy with Amrabat as a player....

Damn not even average player would want this guy.
This is Levy/Paratici type of sign all over.

I have no idea but it seems like people are having strong feelings based on extremely limited information.
My friend, fans aren't upset with Amrabat himself. They're just pissed off because they expected a bigger name. They feel signing a guy like him, with his recent injury troubles, will not move the needle enough. We don't need any more guys that are gonna come clog the wage bill to either be at the infirmary all the time or play, but just not make any significant difference.

Based on the back and forth we've heard, it seems like Paratici and Levy were focused on an attacker, wingback, and CB, and Conte's input was that he needed another MF.

One imagines Paratici and Levy were probably hoping Ndombele, Lo Celso, and Dele represented workable options for Conte, and he disabused them of that notion.

Then, because the club is incompetent, this led to the pursuit of a midfielder being a half-assed, unfunded appendage on our already ludicrously pathetic transfer strategy.

Conte's not hiding his feelings in press conferences. He needs depth, he needs useable pieces, he needs something he can work with.

Claims that he "likes" Amrabat clearly mistranslate that he "is familiar with and can accept" Amrabat.

Amrabat played 90 minutes in the league four times and 120 minutes in an extra-time cup match against Conte's Inter, for whatever it's worth. Inter won all five.

Because our need in midfield is to add more goals, creativity and press resistant players. I would say that set pieces would also be a bonus and the ability to progress the ball through passing, so we no longer have to bypass the MF like we currently do would help as well, but not quite as key in a Conte system.

This guy does not add goals, does not take free kicks, has no creativity in his game and isn't very good under pressure or a progressive passer of the ball.

There is little to nothing to indicate that he adds anything to the MF that we don't already get from our 3 "main" MFers- Skipp, PEH and Wanks- and we have seen that MF isn't close to good enough. There isn't much to think that he is an improvement over any of them.

I also would say there is not limited information on him. He played in one of the biggest leagues in Europe, as well as playing in international games for Morocco. He is 25 years old so has multiple seasons playing as well. It might not be direct viewings of his game but there is plenty information out there about what this guy is all about. It is unlikely he is a secret KdB clone just waiting for his chance.

On the bright side this transfer demonstrates that we are firmly back to being 90's Spurs, and who doesn't love a bit of nostalgia eh?

Oh the heady days of excitement at seeing what Allan Nielsen was bringing to the table...

My friend, fans aren't upset with Amrabat himself. They're just pissed off because they expected a bigger name. They feel signing a guy like him, with his recent injury troubles, will not move the needle enough. We don't need any more guys that are gonna come clog the wage bill to either be at the infirmary all the time or play, but just not make any significant difference.
I’m not looking for an argument. I just want to understand… isn’t the deal a short term solution? Loan without an obligation and we might be losing 2/3 CMs.

It’s not thrilling but it’s a sensible fix until we can go bigger in the future. It might just be someone like Amrabat on a loan or no one right now.

January is not the time you’re going to find a long term central midfield fix.

It depends what you mean by “sense”.

He’s another Winks. The idea that there’s any mystery in this player is absolutely false. There is absolutely no chance of any kind this is a meaningful or impactful player who surprises us. None, zero, period. We’re bringing in a second Winks for six months.

That’s not nothing! It gives us cover, and opens up the possibility of going 3-5-2 more often, which seems like our best formation. One hopes it also means Harvey White gets a decent Champo loan to kick on his development.

And it costs basically zero.

So sure, whatever. But in our best XI in a big game, his role is coming on for the last 15 minutes to protect the lead we won’t have. Totally meaningless player in the grand scheme who doesn’t advance the Conte project one iota.

I’m not looking for an argument. I just want to understand… isn’t the deal a short term solution? Loan without an obligation and we might be losing 2/3 CMs.

It doesn't look like a solution at all because he doesn't address any of our problems. I hope we are above bringing guys in because they are warm bodies but I guess that is where we are as a club.

It’s not thrilling but it’s a sensible fix until we can go bigger in the future. It might just be someone like Amrabat on a loan or no one right now.

A sensible fix would be bringing in someone that helps in the areas we are lacking. It doesn't appear that Amrabat is much of an improvement over no one right now.

January is not the time you’re going to find a long term central midfield fix.

BS

Back
Top Bottom