Have we signed the Mighty Amrabat?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lucas is a baked bean, do we need another?

• Yes

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 44 65.7%

• Total voters
Courtesy Bill Madrid Bill Madrid who actually watched him play last night:

I honestly can't remember being so underwhelmed. He played virtually the entire game that I saw in the 15 yards in the Moroccan half 5 yards in the Malawi half area straddling the half way line. He'd get the ball from his centre back and almost immediately pass it vaguely forward to a teammate under no pressure at all.

Leading from an early wonder goal, Malawi were sitting back, which was fair enough - after all Morocco are ranked 18th and Malawi 119th - so he was never really pressed. He made a couple of ordinary tackles and one baddish one he was lucky not to get booked for. And that was that.

Seriously, he didn't really need to be on the pitch. Given the lack of pressure, the central defender could have passed directly to the recipient of Bat's ball. I don't remember him striding forward into space once, or doing anything other than what I've said.

I honestly can't remember being so underwhelmed. He played virtually the entire game that I saw in the 15 yards in the Moroccan half 5 yards in the Malawi half area straddling the half way line. He'd get the ball from his centre back and almost immediately pass it vaguely forward to a teammate under no pressure at all.

Leading from an early wonder goal, Malawi were sitting back, which was fair enough - after all Morocco are ranked 18th and Malawi 119th - so he was never really pressed. He made a couple of ordinary tackles and one baddish one he was lucky not to get booked for. And that was that.

Seriously, he didn't really need to be on the pitch. Given the lack of pressure, the central defender could have passed directly to the recipient of Bat's ball. I don't remember him striding forward into space once, or doing anything other than what I've said.
we knew from his 216 mins at fiorentina

I also watched the game and fully endorse this take.

He is a safe, sound, utterly forgettable footballer. He’s the kind of guy you see emerge from the academy and you know he’ll get loaned to the Championship, do well there, get bought, and you’ll never hear of him again.

I watched the whole game (purely because we’ve been linked with him) and was totally underwhelmed- I disagree with bill Madrid in that his passing was more lateral than forward !! Don’t feel he’d add to or improve what we already have .

He is a safe, sound, utterly forgettable footballer. He’s the kind of guy you see emerge from the academy and you know he’ll get loaned to the Championship, do well there, get bought, and you’ll never hear of him again.
I thought the comparisons with Harry Winks last night were harsh on our lad. It might be hard for some to imagine it but even when HW has come on as a sub this season he's been way more dynamic, more involved than Amrabat was

I watched the whole game (purely because we’ve been linked with him) and was totally underwhelmed- I disagree with bill Madrid in that his passing was more lateral than forward !! Don’t feel he’d add to or improve what we already have .
Haha, that's fair enough actually. "Vaguely forward" was meant to mean "ever-so-slightly" as opposed to "play-making", "maverick" or "visionary"

pro_r10_42035_lg.gif

So....exactly like harry winks. Excellent. Whats better than one harry winks?....

From a Hellas Verona fan;

Amrabat is a player who excels with certain kind of playstyles and is very mediocre with others: he is fast, strong, very hard to disposses (in his Hellas season was 9th in Serie A for Completed Dribbling), has very good stamina, he is an okay passer, but he lacks vision and end product. In Fiorentina last season Prandelli and Iachini asked him to be a maestro, but his lack of creativity ended up him being the kind of player who does two touches and then completes an easy pass, whilst this year Italiano can't find a place for him because in 4-3-3 he can't be either a box-to-box due to his lack of end product.

I watched almost every game of Hellas Verona since I'm a supporter, and I can say that in a system that enhances him he is a special player: Juric (like Tudor) plays a 3421 gegenpress system where Veloso dictated the play and Amrabat was asked to recover the ball and eventually to keep it under pressure (and I mean that, I can remember one time when he took the responsability to dribble two opponents in his own area, I swear I've never seen him flinch in a whole year no matter what), to run until the 90' and don't misplace easy passes.

Amrabat is a player who excels with certain kind of playstyles and is very mediocre with others: he is fast, strong, very hard to disposses (in his Hellas season was 9th in Serie A for Completed Dribbling), has very good stamina, he is an okay passer, but he lacks vision and end product. In Fiorentina last season Prandelli and Iachini asked him to be a maestro, but his lack of creativity ended up him being the kind of player who does two touches and then completes an easy pass, whilst this year Italiano can't find a place for him because in 4-3-3 he can't be either a box-to-box due to his lack of end product.

I watched almost every game of Hellas Verona since I'm a supporter, and I can say that in a system that enhances him he is a special player: Juric (like Tudor) plays a 3421 gegenpress system where Veloso dictated the play and Amrabat was asked to recover the ball and eventually to keep it under pressure (and I mean that, I can remember one time when he took the responsability to dribble two opponents in his own area, I swear I've never seen him flinch in a whole year no matter what), to run until the 90' and don't misplace easy passes.
Being a reliable metronome under pressure was what first brought Harry Winks renown, I’m tellin’ ya.

Cheers for the intel.

Obviously he’s a steady player who is not mistake prone.

Ok so he is a Hojbjerg, hardworking and tough but lacks creativity. That’s ok if we get Traore and Dias and get our creativity from the flanks I guess.

Let's back the manager. No, not that one?
Unfortunately backing the manager is not getting a player who has no pedigree worth talking about.

I don’t like typing this, but punts based around moneyball simply do not seem to work well for this club. And yet they do this time and time and time again.

Back
Top Bottom