Have we signed Zaniolo yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There is obviously something Conte’s see’s in Zaniolo that we don’t, I agree £50m seems very high and I would consider Maddison at £60m to be reasonable given his stats, prem experience and home grown element.

Based on what we have done so far I support the Zaniolo transfer if it’s Conte’s wish but only because it is Conte’s wish, if that wasn’t the case I wouldn’t have any excitement for it.

The club have been after Zaniolo for a few years, strong interest pre Conte

This is from 2020

Tottenham are understood to be tracking Roma’s Nicolò Zaniolo but view the 21-year-old midfielder as a potential signing for the future despite his impressive performances this season.

Reports in Italy this week suggested Spurs were competing with Juventus and Internazionale to sign Zaniolo, who has scored six goals in 23 Serie A appearances in this campaign. But while Tottenham’s hierarchy are believed to regard the Italy international as a considerable prospect who would thrive in the Premier League in part because of his physical strength, he is not considered to be a priority for José Mourinho in this transfer window.

Talks with Southampton over a move for Pierre-Emile Højbjerg are continuing despite Everton’s £25m bid for the midfielder being accepted and there is a confidence at Spurs that they can get the deal done. The club were ready to offer £30m for Zaniolo last summer but Roma’s asking price was higher.

Doesn't make sense at that price, especially with the injuries.

Conte seems to love him, but what's he seeing? Zaniolo isn't going to suddenly post Deki level goals/assists. Maybe he has a deeper role in mind but I don't really see it.
It's a stretch but could he be thinking of converting him to a central mid? Following in the footsteps of Mousa, another converted winger with low goal/assist numbers. He has a bit of that same strength/dribbling/ball protection.

With Mousa we used to be able to give it to him anywhere and he'd find a way out of the pressure. Joelinton a bit similar as another physically strong dribbler doing well in the midfield. But you wouldn't pay £40mil on an experiment like that, surely.

The club have been after Zaniolo for a few years, strong interest pre Conte

This is from 2020

Tottenham are understood to be tracking Roma’s Nicolò Zaniolo but view the 21-year-old midfielder as a potential signing for the future despite his impressive performances this season.

Reports in Italy this week suggested Spurs were competing with Juventus and Internazionale to sign Zaniolo, who has scored six goals in 23 Serie A appearances in this campaign. But while Tottenham’s hierarchy are believed to regard the Italy international as a considerable prospect who would thrive in the Premier League in part because of his physical strength, he is not considered to be a priority for José Mourinho in this transfer window.

Talks with Southampton over a move for Pierre-Emile Højbjerg are continuing despite Everton’s £25m bid for the midfielder being accepted and there is a confidence at Spurs that they can get the deal done. The club were ready to offer £30m for Zaniolo last summer but Roma’s asking price was higher.

That makes me nervous....... Either:

a) He was a Hitchens target..... Nuff said.
b) He was a Jose target..... And he's looking to sell him already.

I'd be happier if it was pure Fab/Conte interest.

Too simplistic. Lots of other voices involved beyond those two shitheads, Levy and the board are close to a number of agents and other informed football bods.

Too simplistic. Lots of other voices involved beyond those two shitheads, Levy and the board are close to a number of agents and other informed football bods.

Always been a supporter of Levy driven transfers have we?

.........I doubt very much that your posting history would concur.

Always been a supporter of Levy driven transfers have we?

.........I doubt very much that your posting history would concur.
Just pointing out that there are many people involved at Spurs…. Some fools seem to think Hitchen was single handedly accountable for scouting, data, agents, negotiation and contracts. I don’t want the player either by the way

Whilst those reports of earlier Spurs interest in Zaniolo are interesting, I suspect our current move is almost entirely driven by Conte & Paratici.

Paratici & his Italian scouting networks know far more about Zaniolo than any of our lot.

Conte is his own man, making his own judgements about players and how they fit his system.

Given the suggestions that Conte doesn't think Zaniolo has been played in the best position for his skillset and the rumoured links to Adama Traore as a fallback plan, my working hypothesis is that Conte sees Zaniolo as a player who could run with the ball in the right and left WB areas. Especially in transition, when we win the ball quickly or have space to exploit.

Entirely speculative, of course.

People way underrating Zaniolo's ability. Would be a risky purchase, but an exciting one. Without injuries there's a good chance he's at a big club now with a great goal-scoring record behind him. Our bet would be that, hopefully with his injuries behind him, he kicks on to something approaching his promised level in the next few years.

People way underrating Zaniolo's ability. Would be a risky purchase, but an exciting one. Without injuries there's a good chance he's at a big club now with a great goal-scoring record behind him. Our bet would be that, hopefully with his injuries behind him, he kicks on to something approaching his promised level in the next few years.

It’s a bit of a stretch to call his goal-scoring record ‘great’. And when you’re talking about a player valued at 50m I’d personally fancy less ‘hopefully’ or ‘might kick on’ and more ‘definitive upgrade’.

But hey .. as boring & thin as it’s beginning to wear on here, if Conte wants him then fine I guess … but even that has to have limits.

Worth noting that Inter Milan get 15% of the fee if Roma do decide to sell Zaniolo so can see why they would try and squeeze us for every last penny.

But he's a real exciting player and he has the right physique for this league. Now I did see reports that Conte would be looking to actually bring him in to play wing back but this seems a bit counter productive. He's left footed for a start and we already have Perisic and Sessegnon in that position right now. Unless of course he wants to play him as a right wing back, but if that's the case, we might as well just play Kulusevski there if we want to waste an attackers output.

It’s a bit of a stretch to call his goal-scoring record ‘great’. And when you’re talking about a player valued at 50m I’d personally fancy less ‘hopefully’ or ‘might kick on’ and more ‘definitive upgrade’.

But hey .. as boring & thin as it’s beginning to wear on here, if Conte wants him then fine I guess … but even that has to have limits.
I'm saying if he hadn't been injured he would have had a great scoring record, and that his breakout season is yet to properly happen because of those injuries. (Which obviously makes it a risk, given he's 23)

I'm saying if he hadn't been injured he would have had a great scoring record, and that his breakout season is yet to properly happen because of those injuries. (Which obviously makes it a risk, given he's 23)

What can he do that our other lads can't, mate?

........Doesn't really strike me as a plan B.

What can he do that our other lads can't, mate?

........Doesn't really strike me as a plan B.
Don't think it's about finding somebody with different abilities to what we have. Conte has definite ideas about how he wants the game played, and probably wants his Kulusevski replacement to come in and do a similar job with a fresh body.

If he wanted a Maddison to help us play 3-5-2 I'm sure we'd look for that.

Worth noting that Inter Milan get 15% of the fee if Roma do decide to sell Zaniolo so can see why they would try and squeeze us for every last penny.

But he's a real exciting player and he has the right physique for this league. Now I did see reports that Conte would be looking to actually bring him in to play wing back but this seems a bit counter productive. He's left footed for a start and we already have Perisic and Sessegnon in that position right now. Unless of course he wants to play him as a right wing back, but if that's the case, we might as well just play Kulusevski there if we want to waste an attackers output.
Kinell. Loves a wingback does Conte. Bless.

It seems that Mourinho has convinced Zaniolo to stay at AS Roma. There was an agreement with Tottenham but I think it's blocked

7674e08e92a8039eacaa75d1f6eba08b.jpg

have some ITK, i know you lot love him on this site.

Hercules​

Well-Known Member​

Jul 23, 20145,140137,104
Roma would have to match his wage ambitions on a new contract. What we offered him is a ridiculous amount compared to what he is on now. And I have not heard Mourinho is demanding he stays. We agreed everything (terms) with Roma last week. We did not expect him to play Saturday. There are contingencies in place. Them materialising is a different matter. But his agent is pressing for his client to get him here. Now you understand the ‘impasse’.

Back
Top Bottom