Have we signed Zaniolo yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Haven't seen him much, but saw the game where Roma ended Bodø Glimts run in Europe last season. Not excactly Premier League quality opponents, so might not be very relevant. But still, in that game Zaniolo looked to be miles ahead of anyone else on the pitch. Made a mockery of them all. Scored three goals with ease. Absolutely spectacular in that game.

Reminds me a bit of Dembele (who started as a winger) with his strength and dribbling.

Was about to say exactly that, re: Dembele. Zaniolo definitely looks like someone who'd hit the ground running in the PL and adapt well to the physicality. Combine his 6 foot 3 frame and the height of our other signings, and we're putting together a very physical side that will be difficult to handle for opposition teams.

I like Zaniolo but his injury history does scare me; he wouldn't be the one I'd necessarily go for over, say, Maddison. Then again, if we've scouted extensively and feel he's worth the gamble, we might be getting a really decent price on a huge upside. Frankly though, as long as Conte is happy I'm happy.

Really don’t think he’s all that, happy to be proven wrong but from what I’ve seen of him and looking at the fact he only managed 2 goals last season, I don’t see him improving us dramatically like say a Maddison would.

Knowing Zaniolo but not Maddison, I read an article (of the "flaws vs qualities" kind) about the English midfielder and then watched some videos of his passing and ball control just to get an idea of how he plays. The conclusion I've reached is that what you really need for your team is the kind of player Maddison could be for you, but Zaniolo is the one who would integrate more easily into your game and with Conte's requirements right now.

If given the chance I would still go for Maddison, but he's a risk considering that he apparently only started working hard without the ball in the second half of last season and that he needs to have an unwaveringly functional style if he wants to play for Conte. He also could turn out to be a one-team wonder and just not be able to perform at all at Spurs.

Zaniolo is more in line with your fast, strong and direct approach but doesn't have the same potential to add what's missing to your team as Maddison does. He also is more injury prone but that's something I prefer not to consider in this case because he's just 23 and nobody can really predict injuries.

Also, I have a very strong bias towards good creative playmakers, but I do genuinely think Maddison is the type of player your team lacks.

Last edited:
kFgEkmm.jpg

He passed the eye doctor est the few times I’ve seen him play, but his stats are a bit concerning.

Also the way I’ve seen Roma fans described him, he seems to have some Lucas about him, which is of course good and bad. He’s intense, always looking to go forward, but the final product isn’t really there.

Decent player, but I would pass on him due to the following factors…
- Horrendous injury record which isn’t going to be helped by joining a much more physical league.
- Very poor goals/assists output.
- Very similar player to Kulu style wise. We would be better off in my humble opinion having a different option/type of player to rotate in the RW/RF position.

Considering he’d likely cost in excess of 60 million it would seem, I honestly think we could get a better player. It’s a pass from me.

Zaniolo is more in line with your fast, strong and direct approach but doesn't have the same potential to add what's missing to your team as Maddison does. He also is more injury prone but that's something I prefer not to consider in this case because he's just 23 and nobody can really predict injuries.
I have to say that I don't really understand what you mean by this. If a player has had so many injuries by the age of 23, why is that less relevant than him having them later in his career? If by the age of 23 his body has shown it is not up to the demands of top level football, then I struggle to accept that can suddenly change. It's not as though he's 17 and has potential to grow much stronger or anything like that. For me, far from being something that anyone would "prefer not to consider", I think his injury record should absolutely be a very key factor to consider. :/

Which ever way you look at it, that is one horrendous injury list. Wasn’t fussed either way about this signing but looking at that I’d say we should steer well clear.

Aside from the ACLs the other injuries on there are trivial things.

It does seem like a huge risk to bring a player like him to the PL, though. Can his body hold up?

Aside from the ACLs the other injuries on there are trivial things.

It does seem like a huge risk to bring a player like him to the PL, though. Can his body hold up?
Agree, they are quite minimal but also very frequent. If it's not one thing it's another kind of scenario.
Yes loan deal seems the only sensible solution.

I have to say that I don't really understand what you mean by this. If a player has had so many injuries by the age of 23, why is that less relevant than him having them later in his career? If by the age of 23 his body has shown it is not up to the demands of top level football, then I struggle to accept that can suddenly change. It's not as though he's 17 and has potential to grow much stronger or anything like that. For me, far from being something that anyone would "prefer not to consider", I think his injury record should absolutely be a very key factor to consider. :/
I mean that at 23 he's more likely to recover from injuries well, but I understand what you mean. I prefer to be optimistic regarding Zaniolo's health but you certainly can include this into your analysis. If you get him on loan it would probably be less risky.

In any case as I wrote I personally prefer Maddison but unfortunately it looks like you're not really on him anymore.

In any case as I wrote I personally prefer Maddison but unfortunately it looks like you're not really on him anymore.
Not sure about that - there's so much bullshit made up in the media, and so little availability to the likes of us of what is actually going on behind the scenes, so god knows! :)

Honestly would think that any deal would be structured in such a way with add-ons that if he does break down or get reinjured we'll end up not paying as much.

Playing 38 games last season after coming back from such serious injuries could bode well, he's just turned 23 and has his very peak ahead of him. I'd be surprised if it was straight cash anyway.

Paratici will be in his element with another Italian club hopefully and maybe one or two players who might not play so much or be suited might go to Italy.

Honestly think he's the type of player worth the risk, if we can sell/shift/swap Gil, GLC, fat Tanguy, Rodon etc. I'd be all over it tbh.

Inter were linked with bringing him back when Conte was there, I think we should give him what he wants tbh.

This guy could be a beast, even to come back from injuries like that shows a lot of mental strength/character from a young player who has always had high expectations and a degree of hype around him.

I saw nothing from him on Saturday or seen anything from him in the past that makes me feel we should make this signing.
Not that I think I know more than. Conte and Paratici but this doesn’t particularly excite me.

Back
Top Bottom