Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Son’s last chance to avoid two years of military service is either getting into the semifinals of the WC this summer or (if Spurs let him compete) getting a gold medal at the Asian Games at the end of August. Let’s cross our fingers one of those happens!

Wrong. Even winning WC doesnt give any exemptions. 2002 was a special case.
Only way to avoid military service is to either win AG or win a medal in Olympics. So.. his only chance is to win the next Asian Games. Otherwise he will need to go to army after 2018-2019 season.

Only way to avoid military service is to either win AG or win a medal in Olympics. So.. his only chance is to win the next Asian Games. Otherwise he will need to go to army after 2018-2019 season.
I saw that in a news article too, that he could make the semis in the WC and still be exempted. I guess they didn't know what they were talking about?

Just a question.
Assuming that he does neither and he doesn't return to Korea. what happens ???
Not saying he should/would do this, just curiosity.

I saw that in a news article too, that he could make the semis in the WC and still be exempted. I guess they didn't know what they were talking about?

I bet you were reading an article from The Sun? They were even saying it's possible to get exemption from winning Asian Cup, which is not true.

Just a question.

Well, he doesnt even have a green card in England, so that's not really a good option for him. If he gets a green card somehow in the next year and decides to not go to army, then he can just stay in England. But if that happens, he will get a shit ton of criticisms from Korean fans like PCY (used to be the best striker for Korea) did.

Also, another good example of how sensitive Korea is towards the military service is Yoo-Seung Joon. He used to be the most famous singer in Korea. When it was time for him to go to army, he asked for permission to go to US to take care of some personal stuff (i dont really remember the reason). They let him go without doubting him, but he got a citizenship in US (you automatically lose Korean citizenship if you do this as Korea doesnt allow dual citizenship). He's permanently banned from entering Korea now lol.. He's been asking for forgiveness for 10+ years.

Last edited:
Just a question.
I think it's greatly frowned upon...this is from wikipedia.

"The South Korean public is sensitive towards the country's mandatory military service, but also has a low tolerance towards those who attempt to dodge or receive special treatment, especially after scandals of wealthy families caught trying to avoid their national duty. Those found or accused of draft dodging and negligence of duty often face harsh penalties and public backlash. According to Ha Jae-keun, a South Korean pop columnist, "The mood against draft-dodgers and negligence of duty is so hostile that nowadays entertainers feel it's better to get it over and done with"

I think it's greatly frowned upon...this is from wikipedia.

"The South Korean public is sensitive towards the country's mandatory military service, but also has a low tolerance towards those who attempt to dodge or receive special treatment, especially after scandals of wealthy families caught trying to avoid their national duty. Those found or accused of draft dodging and negligence of duty often face harsh penalties and public backlash. According to Ha Jae-keun, a South Korean pop columnist, "The mood against draft-dodgers and negligence of duty is so hostile that nowadays entertainers feel it's better to get it over and done with"
Gave you a "like" for responding.
:adethumbup:

I really can't see them calling him up to the army - he's far more valuable to them playing football

Well, even Cha Bum-Kun (Cha Boom) had to serve. Who knows. Many ppl are saying he should get special exemption, but I doubt it will happen, considering the govt has been emphasizing "fairness". We should just nuke NK.

Well, even Cha Bum-Kun (Cha Boom) had to serve. Who knows. Many ppl are saying he should get special exemption, but I doubt it will happen, considering the govt has been emphasizing "fairness". We should just nuke NK.
Didn't he only serve 6 months or similar? Remember reading once something along those lines, long ago

What would happen if he got UK citizenship?

I think he'll be eligible before he needs to do the national service

What would happen if he got UK citizenship?

I think he'll be eligible before he needs to do the national service

Again from wikipedia...
"In 2002, right before Korean American pop singer Steve Yoo was due to be drafted for his military service, he gave up his Korean nationality and became a naturalized U.S. citizen. He was born in Seoul and migrated to the United States at the age of 13. The South Korean government considered it an act of desertion and deported him, banning him from entering the country permanently."

Again from wikipedia...
"In 2002, right before Korean American pop singer Steve Yoo was due to be drafted for his military service, he gave up his Korean nationality and became a naturalized U.S. citizen. He was born in Seoul and migrated to the United States at the age of 13. The South Korean government considered it an act of desertion and deported him, banning him from entering the country permanently."

So he can at least threaten it, knowing the consequences and see what they want to do.

I can't imagine they'd want to lose their best player for the national team.

It's the same for all sports. Asian Games and Olympics are competitions for all sports.. so... it's "fair".

Seriously, they should just let players delay till they retire. They will still be in better shape than most ppl even in their 30s.
What’s the opinion like over in South Korea as he gets closer? Is it being discussed with the World Cup nearing? Deferring until retirement seems pretty sensible.

Back
Top Bottom