Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This thread has really gone to complete shit. I know this is The Fighting Cock and cunt offs seem to be the norm, but we're bickering over Kane vs Son? :mourfacepalm:

We need both players on the pitch, as regularly and frequently as possible.

Yet he leads the team in assists and one of two players in the league to get double digits in both goals/assists... nitpicking I presume?

:sonhmm:
Assists are a weird stat since they measure anywhere between almost 0 and almost 100% of the skill involved in scoring a goal.

His xA would suggest that Son gets more assists than he would in a team with less clinical goalscorers. I don't think he's technically a brilliant passer. But he surpasses everyone in some crucial elements of the game Spurs play: being able to move the ball up the pitch and beat a man (or 7) to be in the best position to actually make a final pass.

I think he's a world class winger. He's very skillful and obviously fast. He's a mercurial finisher, rather streaky: sometimes one of the most clinical in Europe, right now and at other times, not so much. Not the best passer but not bad either. I would put Kane above him in both of the latter categories.

I also think Son's at least as selfish as Kane, even if not as noticeably (because selfish for Son means running into a blind alley, whereas selfish for Kane means very conspicuously shooting when there's a better option). I haven't seen Kane do much of that for a long time. In the latest pair of England games, I thought he was incredibly unselfish, as he often is with England, to the point where it wasn't always obvious that he was the designated striker. If I remember right, he ended Euro qualification with about 6 assists in 8 games, which is vastly, hugely more than he achieves at Spurs and I believe that if he is selfish at Spurs (I don't agree that he is), it's probably down to instructions.

Anyway, I'd like to see Kane score some more worldies from outside the box. He hasn't consistently attempted them for a long time. Maybe it just didn't fit with the player he was growing into -- in which case, fair enough. What was my point again? Huh. I don't really have one. I just wanted to talk about how weird assists are and one thing led to another.

Refreshing to see there exist someone who is able to see and willing to admit. Maybe this greed factor is one of the reasons why last world cup won by England was more than 50 years ago. The tradition heritage physicality the mad love of the sporty they are all there yet such a below average outcome on every 4 years why. Maybe it is that greed factor in the English football culture just unable to cut it at the higher competition level.
Oh no...if you think Kane’s selfish...

:baletroll:

The state of this thread :dawsonlol:

This is just the beginning, wait until Bale starts banging in the goals and you’ll see the fanboys having a proper meltdown.

Kane and Bale will be the most hated players on this thread, we’re going to see fan boys do some serious bitching.

I think my point is being lost.
How many times did each players greed lead to a goal. I can't see how you can measure it fairly.
All I know, through my own eyes and gut is that it feels like Kanes greed often leads to goals. You don't tend to find yourself too annoyed if he has a go and misses.
Son, meh, I really can't say I don't blame him for holding onto the ball that little bit too long.

We saw how Kane reacted, he wasn't happy. I think they both need to establish a partnership and understanding of giving it up for the greater good.

I think my point is being lost.
How many times did each players greed lead to a goal. I can't see how you can measure it fairly.
All I know, through my own eyes and gut is that it feels like Kanes greed often leads to goals. You don't tend to find yourself too annoyed if he has a go and misses.
Son, meh, I really can't say I don't blame him for holding onto the ball that little bit too long.

We saw how Kane reacted, he wasn't happy. I think they both need to establish a partnership and understanding of giving it up for the greater good.
Strikers do need to be greedy though.

Son’s strike rate is good enough for me to have him make the odd mistake here and there, I want him and Kane to go for it.

It's not so much the having a go and not scoring. It's getting the ball nowhere near goal, having other players around you and not passing. If he's in the box I want him to have a go.
I don't actually care who "him" is at that point.
I appreciate Son scored goal of the season by running from the halfway line but that's a once in a generation goal, let alone once in a career. He needs to look around him when he's running from deep and he needs to pass. Especially when it's 0-0 and we need a goal.
4-0 give it a go by all means.

It's not so much the having a go and not scoring. It's getting the ball nowhere near goal, having other players around you and not passing. If he's in the box I want him to have a go.
I don't actually care who "him" is at that point.
I appreciate Son scored goal of the season by running from the halfway line but that's a once in a generation goal, let alone once in a career. He needs to look around him when he's running from deep and he needs to pass. Especially when it's 0-0 and we need a goal.
4-0 give it a go by all means.

While I see what you're getting at, at this point, we need aggressive players that can make plays that lead to goals. We really don't need Son to be another player that just does sidepasses all day. I'd rather see him be greedy and taking chances than being another Winks.

Also, I'm sure we weren't complaining about Son's greed when Kane was out with injuries. What's shocking to see is that when Son has played CF throughout his Spurs career, his goal rate AND assist rate is higher than Kane's in open play. I know it's a small sample size and not sure how accurate the data is (Transfermkt) but worth analyzing.

Son: 3,994 mins / 29 open play goals (1 goal every 137 min) / 14 assists (1 assist every 285 min)
Kane:
22,469 mins / 161 open play goals (1 goal every 140 min) / 30 assists (1 assist every 749 min)

This thread has really gone to complete shit. I know this is The Fighting Cock and cunt offs seem to be the norm, but we're bickering over Kane vs Son? :mourfacepalm:

We need both players on the pitch, as regularly and frequently as possible.
This has always been one of the worst threads on TFC. Between the fan boys and the subtle racists, one can't have a decent conversation about Son which is a shame.

This has always been one of the worst threads on TFC. Between the fan boys and the subtle racists, one can't have a decent conversation about Son which is a shame.
Dunno who you are referring to re the subtle racists but there are a few who are chasing phantom racists.

One poster calls just about everything racist to be honest, while unashamedly making racist comments himself.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom