Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Corners are NOT relevant because of 3% result in goals (0.5% result in counterattacks that result in goals conceded directly from them).

Every team concedes goals, whether that's from a corner, free kick, throw-in, long ball or short ball. If the number posted above for us conceding four 4% of ours then we can improve but christ it really ain't a big deal, we are talking about reducing scoring 1 goal from a corner over the season to put us at average. They are shit.
read my last post to save me retyping it.

which is about the same for shots outside the box, heading goals, free kick etc. If we eradicated all attempts that yielded a low return we'd all be trying to play like barca mate,.

In case you hadn't noticed, this is football, not basketball.
Scoring goals is hard. Scoring goals from corners are VERY RARE, they are low %. Are you arguing the opposite of this?

Scoring goals is hard. Scoring goals from corners are VERY RARE, they are low %. Are you arguing the opposite of this?

no, i'm arguing that many methods of scoring yield similarly low results. Using your logic we'd have no long shots, no headers, no direct free kicks, and any shots from more than about 12 yards should also be fucked off.

You're trying to convince me of a notion so utterly absurd, that not a single manager in the history if the game has seemed to agree with you. Every team uses corners... but you know best of course.

97% of corners taken fail ergo they are not goal scoring opportunities.
With VAR being used next year, and if they clamp down on pushing and shoving in the box on corners (the way they did in the World Cup) that % is sure to rise, figuring in the goals scored from penalty kicks awarded.

no, i'm arguing that many methods of scoring yield similarly low results. Using your logic we'd have no long shots, no headers, no direct free kicks, and any shots from more than about 12 yards should also be fucked off.

You're trying to convince me of a notion so utterly absurd, that not a single manager in the history if the game has seemed to agree with you. Every team uses corners... but you know best of course.
I'm saying that 97% of corners result in no goal scored. I'm saying that is a shit return and not worth the expectation that most people have for them. You are making an argument out of that fact.

With VAR being used next year, and if they clamp down on pushing and shoving in the box on corners (the way they did in the World Cup) that % is sure to rise, figuring in the goals scored from penalty kicks awarded.
Yes most likely. I'm completely opposed to VAR and I'd guess that if you re-looked at every corner taken you would spot an infringement that could be awarded 80% of the time. That said, I would also guess that you could spot an infringement that would result in a free kick for the defending side 80% of the time too).

I'm saying that 97% of corners result in no goal scored. I'm saying that is a shit return and not worth the expectation that most people have for them. You are making an argument out of that fact.
prickly little fella aren't you.

you do like to cherry pick at little bits of info dont you? not much of a big picture guy.

Sonny not playing well. Looks disinterested. If S. Korea go out here, can he play against Chelsea?

(Not being serious but would love for him to come straight back.)

Corners are NOT relevant because of 3% result in goals (0.5% result in counterattacks that result in goals conceded directly from them).

Every team concedes goals, whether that's from a corner, free kick, throw-in, long ball or short ball. If the number posted above for us conceding four 4% of ours then we can improve but christ it really ain't a big deal, we are talking about reducing scoring 1 goal from a corner over the season to put us at average. They are shit.

shots outside the box - between 2%-3.5%

https://statsbomb.com/2013/10/premier-league-shot-benchmarks/

prickly little fella aren't you.

you do like to cherry pick at little bits of info dont you? not much of a big picture guy.
You're the one challenging fella, would make you the prickly one.

The big picture is that 97% of corners result in no goal. If you wish to dispute this then continue but you aren't, you're posting another stat that's 3 times more effective at scoring from than corners and using that to make the point that corners are not a waste of time.

You're the one challenging fella, would make you the prickly one.

The big picture is that 97% of corners result in no goal. If you wish to dispute this then continue but you aren't, you're posting another stat that's 3 times more effective at scoring from than corners and using that to make the point that corners are not a waste of time.
ive literally posted no such thing mate. You're making things up now.

what i have said however, is that many means of scoring goals yield equally low results, and i'm wondering why you aren't getting bent out of shape over those?

maybe you should go to the next managers meeting and share your insight with pep, poch,. klopp et all. i;m sure theyll be grateful for you providing such wonderful insight.

ive literally posted no such thing mate. You're making things up now.

what i have said however, is that many means of scoring goals yield equally low results, and i'm wondering why you aren't getting bent out of shape over those?

maybe you should go to the next managers meeting and share your insight with pep, poch,. klopp et all. i;m sure theyll be grateful for you providing such wonderful insight.
I don't get bent out of shape about not scoring from corners, I accept they are shit, a low rate of return. This isn't shared by most supporters, who cheer when their team "win" a corner because they see it as a great chance for scoring a goal, they then slat the corner taker for being shit and not getting past the first man.

I don't get bent out of shape about not scoring from corners, I accept they are shit, a low rate of return. This isn't shared by most supporters, who cheer when their team "win" a corner because they see it as a great chance for scoring a goal, they then slat the corner taker for being shit and not getting past the first man.
but you wont accept that almost every other means of moving the ball into the box is also, by the same standards, shit?

crosses - less than 2% return
FKs - less than 2%
passing into the box - no stat exists so how do you know its better?

Back
Top Bottom