Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Son is under appreciated because fans and pundits tend to put players into boxes for comparison. He’s the best Asian player ever (although he’d never say it), but that does him a disservice. Son should be compared to the best in the world.

His ability to play on the wing or up top, alone or in a pair, with little to no drop off in performance is astonishing. He is one of the most two footed players I have ever seen. If he was Brazilian or Spanish or some other “sexy” football country he’d be an international superstar. He also comes off as genuinely humble and enjoying every minute of it.

Don’t forget, he’s only 26 and just entering his prime - he may not have even reached his ceiling yet. I hope Spurs are fortunate enough to have Sonny here for the rest of his career.

Son is under appreciated because fans and pundits tend to put players into boxes for comparison. He’s the best Asian player ever (although he’d never say it), but that does him a disservice. Son should be compared to the best in the world.

His ability to play on the wing or up top, alone or in a pair, with little to no drop off in performance is astonishing. He is one of the most two footed players I have ever seen. If he was Brazilian or Spanish or some other “sexy” football country he’d be an international superstar. He also comes off as genuinely humble and enjoying every minute of it.

Don’t forget, he’s only 26 and just entering his prime - he may not have even reached his ceiling yet. I hope Spurs are fortunate enough to have Sonny here for the rest of his career.

This is a very "eurocentric" view ... Son is an international superstar he's bigger than any other Spurs player? Now you're all thinking I've gone completely feckin' mental but believe me I haven't ...

There are 51m Koreans, and some 4.4 billion Asians ... In Korea Son is THE BIGGEST star from any walk of life, his picture is everywhere, Captain of the National team, won the Asia Cup, he makes David Beckham look like some back street wannabee ... ask any Korean male, female, child and they will all know who Hueng-Min Son is, and by association most now know who Spurs are ...

But it doesn't stop in Korea, China, Thailand, Indonesia and Japan all relate to an "Asian" player doing well, it's what all kids kicking a ball aspire to be, a famous EPL footballer ... right now Son is a role model for over half the world's population, that's some serious recognition right their ...

So maybe not getting full credit in Europe, the USA or South America but in Asia he's a feckin' God ...

This is a very "eurocentric" view ... Son is an international superstar he's bigger than any other Spurs player? Now you're all thinking I've gone completely feckin' mental but believe me I haven't ...

There are 51m Koreans, and some 4.4 billion Asians ... In Korea Son is THE BIGGEST star from any walk of life, his picture is everywhere, Captain of the National team, won the Asia Cup, he makes David Beckham look like some back street wannabee ... ask any Korean male, female, child and they will all know who Hueng-Min Son is, and by association most now know who Spurs are ...

But it doesn't stop in Korea, China, Thailand, Indonesia and Japan all relate to an "Asian" player doing well, it's what all kids kicking a ball aspire to be, a famous EPL footballer ... right now Son is a role model for over half the world's population, that's some serious recognition right their ...

So maybe not getting full credit in Europe, the USA or South America but in Asia he's a feckin' God ...
That’s my point though - he should be a much bigger thing outside of Asia.

I know people here are gonna disagree with me (Like when i said he was better than Lamela and people bashed me for it)

But I think he has become our best player. Even better than Kane or Alli. Just looking at the stats, goal ratio, he is easily the best player in the LEAGUE!

I still can't believe the media is so quiet on him. I reckon because he is Asian, but boy...... this man is something else right now.

Of course this can change next year.

I reckon he has more growth yet till he reaches his ceiling. He is also very marketable. he must be attracting attention of the biggest clubs but I think he's on a long contract, right?

I do think if he was Western then he'd be recognised as twice the star he is in the West. It's a sad reality in my view. But I do think ppl have taken notice more and more he cannot be ignored or played down any more. He could win player of the year - when us the voting?

I reckon he has more growth yet till he reaches his ceiling. He is also very marketable. he must be attracting attention of the biggest clubs but I think he's on a long contract, right?

I do think if he was Western then he'd be recognised as twice the star he is in the West. It's a sad reality in my view. But I do think ppl have taken notice more and more he cannot be ignored or played down any more. He could win player of the year - when us the voting?
Apparently there are 29 players ahead of him and that's just in the prem. :sonhmm:

I actually went to South Korea and Japan for 3 weeks at the start of this year. Son is indeed on many billboards and adverts in south Korea and one of their TV channels was showing reruns of all the spurs games where he scored pretty much every evening. Didn't see him anywhere in Japan mind. But the korean market is absolutely enormous. I wouldn't be surprised if he was banking silly money back home from endorsements alone. Plus I've never seen as much conspicuous wealth anywhere in the world as I have Seoul. Maybachs absolutely everywhere. Very cool country. And we've got the sexiest of them all.

I've been saying for a long time that we can cope without kane as long as this boy is fit and healthy. His energy levels, movement, finishing, two footedness, and composure is astonishing. I love him :paulinhobored:

Why are people so big on the anti spurs conspiracies. If you went round every forum for any prem team there will always be these tin foil wearing fans swearing the world hates their club. I've never seen anything that gave any level of suspicion that there was some deep anti spurs conspiracy. Son dives, as do almost all players these day.
Check out the special people disagreeing with this like it isn't a thing :vertna:

Fantastic player, along with Kane and Eriksen are the "gold" soul of Tottenham

mirror14.jpg

sun14.jpg

I am not sure he is under appreciated now. Perhaps last season. Every outlet has been talking about him being player of the season. Every Commentator talks about how good he is.

Any chance they wanna buy a Spurs shirt and out his name on the back? :levyeyes:

To be fair, I said this about Dembele but I just can't see Son ever leaving us.

He's never linked away. Doesn't seem like the kind of player the top clubs would sign, which surprises me considering his ability and his marketability.

He's 27 years old this year, contract until 2023 when he'll be 31 years old with no doubt an extension between now and then with him getting a huge pay-rise. He loves the club, loves the players he plays with, is loved by the players he plays with, loved by the manager, loved by the fans. On his way to becoming a Spurs legend.

What a player.

If he was western he very likely wouldn’t be at Spurs; it’s a double edged sword.

To be fair, I said this about Dembele but I just can't see Son ever leaving us.

He's never linked away. Doesn't seem like the kind of player the top clubs would sign, which surprises me considering his ability and his marketability.

He's 27 years old this year, contract until 2023 when he'll be 31 years old with no doubt an extension between now and then with him getting a huge pay-rise. He loves the club, loves the players he plays with, is loved by the players he plays with, loved by the manager, loved by the fans. On his way to becoming a Spurs legend.

What a player.

It's good that he's underrated, keeps him off the radar.

Long may it continue.

Back
Top Bottom