Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's been terrible since the restart.

I don’t want to agree with you because everyone wants to see Sonny do well but he really hasn’t played well for a while and is capable of so much more. Where have the brilliant moments gone- the great run and finish v Chelsea away, the swashbuckling run and finish v Burnley. Appears to be getting more and more inconsistent and I am no longer expectant when he gets on the ball.

First time I've seen him play without a smile on his face, and he was woeful yesterday.

Kept getting in everyone's way and making the same runs as other players.

There is something very wrong behind the scenes.

Know it's not his primary job, but just watch his 'defending' for their 3rd goal. Just watch it. An absolute disgrace. Literally no attempt to stop the guy and couldn't give a fuck. Shocking.

Son pretends to defend, always has done.

He looks like he's pressing but never actually engages with the opposition physically to put them off or win the ball back. Yesterday was probably the worst I'd seen from him in that respect.

Collectively we didn't have the fight to match Sheffield Utd.

First time I've seen him play without a smile on his face, and he was woeful yesterday.
José has probably told him for the first time in his career how shite the defensive aspect of his game and his pressing actually is and that he really needs to improve in that regard, but some players only want to hear how 'good' they are.

He was culpable for the first and the third goal we conceded, but to be fair I don’t think he’s played so far back before in his career, he’s a wing forward.

I recall when Poch played him as a wingback when we went 3 at the back a few times and it didn’t work out, I remember him doing a terrible tackle on Moses in that position and getting sent off.

He was culpable for the first and the third goal we conceded, but to be fair I don’t think he’s played so far back before in his career, he’s a wing forward.
Sorry mate but you can't make an excuse for any of that. It was a shocking lack of effort and commitment that didn't require any knowledge of defending. It was basic covering. All you had to do for the 3rd was block the guy and not run off the pitch ffs. Inexcusable and if it was the likes of Eriksen who had done that he'd have been lynched on here.

Sorry mate but you can't make an excuse for any of that. It was a shocking lack of effort and commitment that didn't require any knowledge of defending. It was basic covering. All you had to do for the 3rd was block the guy and not run off the pitch ffs. Inexcusable and if it was the likes of Eriksen who had done that he'd have been lynched on here.
True. Also look at how the other top managers organize their wingers... all hard working, tracking back and giving it their all.

Check out Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool (Firmino tracking back instead of wingers) and even recently Woolwich... they have Sane, Sterling, Aubameyang, Pepe, Mane, Firmino, Willian, Pulisic et al in their own box working to press and defend because you can't get away with having 1-3 players just standing about in 2020. You need all your players constantly working if you want to win.

The third was poor, the first I think was just down to experience, a more defensive minded player in that situation would not have lost his marker.

It’s poor but learning to play a position that requires more defending at 27 is always not going to be easy.

He is best used by far as a striker not a Midfielder. He’s terrible at tracking back so play him up front in a 3-5-2 or by himself when Kane doesn’t play . Watch his solo goals against Chelsea and Burnley again. Do we have any other player remotely capable of scoring those goals ? And we should get rid of him ? Seriously ?

He is best used by far as a striker not a Midfielder. He’s terrible at tracking back so play him up front in a 3-5-2 or by himself when Kane doesn’t play . Watch his solo goals against Chelsea and Burnley again. Do we have any other player remotely capable of scoring those goals ? And we should get rid of him ? Seriously ?

I agree that he's a better striker, but he's not terrible at tracking back.

He does sprints a lot and actually uses lots of energy tracking back to defend, which why he is lacking in offense.

He has to sprint fast forward in counter attack situation, and has to run back to defend left side where it's just him and Davis to cover. He has lots of ground to cover in his current role right now; sprinting back and forth can get you tired pretty fast.

Despite all this, I thought he did pretty good job defending in first two games, and did good job of being a supporting role for Kane (providing assists for all Kane's goals).

I do think he's more dangerous and better as a goal scorer, but his current position and the system does make it challenging for him to score goal.

Last edited:
I agree that he's a better striker, but he's not terrible at tracking back.

He does sprints a lot and actually uses lots of energy tracking back to defend, which why he is lacking in offense.

He has to sprint fast forward in counter attack situation, and has to run back to defend left side where it's just him and Davis to cover. He has lots of ground to cover in his current role right now; sprinting back and forth can get you tired pretty fast.

Despite all this, I thought he did pretty good job defending in first two games, and did good job of being a supporting role for Kane (providing assists for all Kane's goals).

I do think he's more dangerous and better as a goal scorer, but his current position and the system does make it challenging for him to score goal.
He does 'track back' per se, how effective he is at it, is the real issue. His poor marking and lack of awareness like we saw on the first and third goal is something that happens nearly every match, it's just being talked about this week because it can clearly be seen on both goal replays.

However, I will say, our coaching staff is doing something very wrong when it seems to me, Son is in our penalty box more than he is the oppositions. He's the last player on our team on want there. I'm not saying that because I think he's 'too good' to mark his man or track back (a la Messi or Salah) but due to him being a liability in the box more than he is helpful. As evidence in the third goal, we'd have been better off him not chasing down Berge and not confuse our defenders more than anything.

As I was typing the last sentence, I took a look at the third goal again and it seems like Berge actually gets a good push on Son. Not to excuse him, it's still pretty poor but when I seen it live, it looked more Son attempting to nick the ball, poorly executing it, and just giving up letting N'dombele deal with Berge.

Starts at 9:00; Not sure if it's region locked

The push and his momentum sort of explains why he's a couple yards behind the net.

Back
Top Bottom