Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It took him 11 games to reach 4 goals in 2019-20
It took him 13 games to reach 4 goals in 2018-19
It took him 15 games to reach 4 goals in 2017-18

It took him just 2 games this season...

He's going to get the golden boot isn't he!?

It's a decent shout. If i was a betting man i'd stick a few quid on it.
The way Jose sets his teams up to hit on the counter, he's our quickest forward, can finish with either foot and so is always likely to be the last man.

I can see 20 plus goals this year from him easily.

HBK...Heung -Bale -Kane will be sexy..

4b680b44eb706dc21c5cbbd9587384f9.gif

Said this many times and saying it again - let Son be our main target up front for goals and play Harry Kane De Bruyne as a #10. Add Bale to that mix and let Kane find both - it’s game over. I think we we saw glimpses of what this team can be. It just needs a little tweaking to unlock our potential.

Amazing, but great for us, that he doesn't get the credit he deserves on a world stage it seems. Sure, he is huge in S. Korea but completely overlooked by so many for a player of his quality.
It starts with the Spurs fan base. He receives a fraction of the recognition that he should even after scoring 4 goals. Just take a look at the Kane thread. Fan boys there are going nuts!

It starts with the Spurs fan base. He receives a fraction of the recognition that he should even after scoring 4 goals. Just take a look at the Kane thread. Fan boys there are going nuts!

Don't agree he's one of our best loved players. Usually gets one of the biggest cheers when his name is announced pre-match.
Him and Kane are the biggest shirt-sellers at the club and Sonny is front and centre in most of the marketing pushes.

Amazing, but great for us, that he doesn't get the credit he deserves on a world stage it seems. Sure, he is huge in S. Korea but completely overlooked by so many for a player of his quality.

He gets a ton of credit. Often when I hear neutrals or opposition fans/media talking about Spurs he is one of the first names they mention. Often it is said that he is an underrated part of the squad so perhaps that leads to the idea that he is overlooked because it seems people always say it, but I think with how often it is said it is clear that the majority of people out there rate him.

I also think it doesn't help that for his fan bois even if you do praise him it is never enough, as evidenced in this thread. Saying Son was great, but so was Kane is seen as slagging Son and "evidence" that he is not appreciated even by his own fans. It is clearly laughable that someone would think that but they are so invested in Son that they have to put down Kane so they have a warped sense of what praise actually is.

Don't agree he's one of our best loved players. Usually gets one of the biggest cheers when his name is announced pre-match.
Him and Kane are the biggest shirt-sellers at the club and Sonny is front and centre in most of the marketing pushes.

Of course it is a ridiculous comment. Son is loved by Spurs fans and gets huge amounts of praise and respect.

But for some of the Son fan bois if you are not shitting on Kane you are disrespecting Son!

It's not a Spurs thing... but I do agree that it does exist in football in general. IMO it's just people being lazy, and initially when Son was in Germany and then even when he joined Spurs, fans of other teams would judge him not on his abilities as a player (if they hadn't seen him play or seen much of him) but based on where he was from. So he was kind of limited in some fans views of just how good an asian player was and how good they could become... so kind of pigeonholed or stereotyped some what.

However, those that took an interest and followed him always knew he would be great. He had 3 seasons in the Bundesliga starting from a teenager when he scored 10+ goals.. and that is pretty rare.. so to me it was evident that he was very talented back then. Anyway long story short.. it's just people/fans making lazy judgments about a player they don't know etc... but hopefully he is someone that can help change perceptions... a bit like Tiger Woods in golf etc.. (obviously not to that level or scale).

He gets a ton of credit. Often when I hear neutrals or opposition fans/media talking about Spurs he is one of the first names they mention. Often it is said that he is an underrated part of the squad so perhaps that leads to the idea that he is overlooked because it seems people always say it, but I think with how often it is said it is clear that the majority of people out there rate him.

I also think it doesn't help that for his fan bois even if you do praise him it is never enough, as evidenced in this thread. Saying Son was great, but so was Kane is seen as slagging Son and "evidence" that he is not appreciated even by his own fans. It is clearly laughable that someone would think that but they are so invested in Son that they have to put down Kane so they have a warped sense of what praise actually is.

I tend to agree, but I guess it was more of a comment on a world stage. He doesn't get the credit, I think he deserves, as other bigger name players. I think he gets plenty of love and recognition from Spurs fans, but for a player that could start for or challenge for a position in probably just about any team in the world, I don't think he gets the notoriety he should.

Oh, don't talk crap. Son is beloved by the fanbase as is Kane. Boy you are one toxic poster. Your previous lengthy post trying to sound all reasonable doesn't fool anyone. You just love to be divisive and make it always about a Son v Kane agenda. Even on a glorious day for the pair like today. Don't you get it - most fans actually support Spurs - not individual players. Kane plays well/badly = he gets praised/criticised, same with Son. It's not a points-scoring competition for Chirst's sake. Grow up.

Last edited:
I tend to agree, but I guess it was more of a comment on a world stage. He doesn't get the credit, I think he deserves, as other bigger name players. I think he gets plenty of love and recognition from Spurs fans, but for a player that could start for or challenge for a position in probably just about any team in the world, I don't think he gets the notoriety he should.
On the world stage, maybe, I don’t know.

But in the PL he is well known enough, guys I talk to who watch football are alwaysvery appreciative of Son, even guys who don’t like us very much dig Son.

I know you're referring to Son but the same can be said about Kane and his diehard supporters. There are plenty in this forum that go at lengths to protect Kane regardless of what he does, says or how he performs on the pitch. The hypocrisy of some fans in here is absurd - you talk about protecting the TEAM but from what I've seen, the only player that gets protected with preferential treatment from some fans is Harry Kane.

For instance, I have gone on rants about other players in the squad (including Son, Dele, Dier, Moura etc.) and received little to no backlash from people here. When it comes to Kane though, some fans here don't have it whatsoever. Compare Son to Kane in any way and you're immediately labeled a 'fanboy' and get mocked.

Now I admit have praised Son quite a bit over the past couple years but I think almost all of it is warranted and I think most fans would agree - 2x Spurs player of the year, Ballon Dor nom, London Footballer of the Year, Goal of the Season, stepped in for Kane when he was etc etc. Kane on the other hand, in my view, has seen considerable decline over the past couple seasons and I think many would agree with that. I'm Spurs fan like anyone else but I'm going to call it like I see it. I'm also going to call out hypocrisy when I see it and act accordingly.

I am not a local fan so maybe I don't fully understand the local fandom but this is what I've seen and my perspectives might be different than yours as someone from the US. I am sure a player like Son is similarly beloved by fans in Korea and would give him the same preferential treatment just as Kane gets by his local fans.
If a person can't see why fans of spurs would irrationally support Harry Kane, I wonder if they have watched football at all over the last five years. He is so worth every credit he gets he even gets a pass for the ECL final. Which im on record as saying he should NOT have started.The numbers don't lie. I feel very honoured to have both him and Son only Salah comes close.

I am not a local fan so maybe I don't fully understand the local fandom but this is what I've seen and my perspectives might be different than yours as someone from the US. I am sure a player like Son is similarly beloved by fans in Korea and would give him the same preferential treatment just as Kane gets by his local fans.

The notion than Son is anything other than beloved remains too absurd to be worthy of a response, but as a fellow American, do you really not understand what it means for Kane to be a homegrown product of the club?

Were you a supporter back when he was a loping awkward academy kid that all of a sudden exploded into a world class goalscorer? No judgment if not, just wondering.

The notion than Son is anything other than beloved remains too absurd to be worthy of a response, but as a fellow American, do you really not understand what it means for Kane to be a homegrown product of the club?

Were you a supporter back when he was a loping awkward academy kid that all of a sudden exploded into a world class goalscorer? No judgment if not, just wondering.
How he gauges how much fans like him being in the US is a bit of a mystery too, it’s not like KaneDomBadBoy KaneDomBadBoy gets to talk to fellow Spurs fans or fans of other teams who appreciate Son.

Back
Top Bottom