Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t agree with some of the things you’ve said but you are obviously entitled to your opinion. I think the issue is that people don’t get what your point is. You just said yourself that no player is ‘complete’ by your standards and definitions. So where are you going with this? It just seems like you are nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. You can literally find flaws in every player including Messi, Ronaldo but that in no way takes away from their individual brilliance and importance to a team. Overall, what Son brings to Spurs has been arguably the most important as he’s the most potent goalscorer on the #1 team in the league so whatever you’re saying is irrelevant at this point. What he brings to the table more than makes up for his inability in the air or having an inconsistent first touch.

Also, someone posted a video of Sons recent international game against Mexico(?). His role there seems to be more of a playmaker rather than a goalscorer (someone correct me if I’m wrong here). From what I saw he’s definitely as ‘complete’ as they come. Passing, vision, hold/link up, crosses, dribbling etc. Its all there.
This seems a bit futile, as clearly a number of the people here are as delusional as flat earthers.

So I'll leave it here with this final comment. The point of my original post was praising Son for his improvement in these areas I critised in the subsequent posts. For whatever reason a bunch of people chose to focus on "son's not a complete player" as if I was insulting their own mothers, rather than the praise for his improving his all around game. Ironically, I was arguing for Son to go back a bit to his "less complete" self and take more shots.

I, somewhat foolishly, chose not to concede the point that Son is not a complete player.

The point of saying Son is less complete is that it requires a lot more work from Mou to engineer the specific type of chances he can score from. Give him the ball at the edge of the ball with a 6/7 players in the box, and it'll usually go nowhere. Do the same with Grealish or Salah, and defenders will be sweating bullets, cos they're likely put some of them on their asses, earn a pen, and score.

You can cite players like Stevie and Lucas as being even worse, but that's another disucssion entirely.

Compilation of Sonny’s touches in the game, looks superb, level above :thumbup: Looks like he played more of a winger and even playmaker role than forward here, some of those passes were Kane-esque but the striker wasn’t quite on the wavelength

This is the video i was talking about. He looks just about as complete as any player we’ve got. He’s not playing the same get behind the defense and go 1x1 with the keeper goal scorer role as he does with Spurs. Passing, vision, tricks, dribbling. It’s all there. He just has a completely different focus when playing for us than when he plays for his country. He’s more than capable of stepping into a different role and doing well if and when needed.

The two passes around the 3 minute mark is just pure class.

You lot are actually fucking delusional jesus christ!

Conversion rate means that you shoot well when given the opportunity to do. Which is what I already acknowldeged. Not having a weak foot is part of that. Doesn't make him complete.

Even Kane's not a complete player but he's so much more complete than Son. If not for the lack of pace/agility he'd be the perfect player. Heading, tackles, long/short passing, scoring every type of goal, defensive set pieces, press resistence etc. That's what makes Kane complete, even if never scores a 60 yard solo run.

Son is one of the best forwards in the world but he's still not complete. Admitting such an obvious thing does us (or Son) no harm.

Who cares some contrived stats, or one great solo goal per season.

Son can't hold up play very well, FACT.

Son is not an elite dribbler like Grealish, Hazard, Mane, Salah etc. FACT.

He can't head the ball like Dele. FACT.

He can't ping a ball like KDB, James, Ziyech etc. FACT.

Just to be clear to the blinkered. I'm not saying Son is shit and we should sell. He just has a very narrow effective operating range. More so than players like Sterling, Salah, Mane, and others who can receive the ball ahead of a relatively packed defence and make something happen.

Chelsea have the same problem with Werner (except he's a shit finisher too), doesn't make him an outright shit player. They just have to use him the right way, get him those through balls to run on to and use his pace. Don't expect him to orchastrate play or outmuscle CBs.
No way is he more 'limited' than Sterling. If anything it's the other way around.

This seems a bit futile, as clearly a number of the people here are as delusional as flat earthers.

So I'll leave it here with this final comment. The point of my original post was praising Son for his improvement in these areas I critised in the subsequent posts. For whatever reason a bunch of people chose to focus on "son's not a complete player" as if I was insulting their own mothers, rather than the praise for his improving his all around game. Ironically, I was arguing for Son to go back a bit to his "less complete" self and take more shots.

I, somewhat foolishly, chose not to concede the point that Son is not a complete player.

The point of saying Son is less complete is that it requires a lot more work from Mou to engineer the specific type of chances he can score from. Give him the ball at the edge of the ball with a 6/7 players in the box, and it'll usually go nowhere. Do the same with Grealish or Salah, and defenders will be sweating bullets, cos they're likely put some of them on their asses, earn a pen, and score.

You can cite players like Stevie and Lucas as being even worse, but that's another disucssion entirely.

If people are delusional (as you insist), you shouldn't feel the need to false reference the statement you originally made that the few in question objected to.

You said he was "limited"; this has significantly differing connotations.

Rightfully or wrongly players like Davies & Winks get termed "limited".... Sonny is a high quality player.

Last edited:

Conversion rate means that you shoot well when given the opportunity to do. Which is what I already acknowldeged. Not having a weak foot is part of that. Doesn't make him complete.

Even Kane's not a complete player but he's so much more complete than Son. If not for the lack of pace/agility he'd be the perfect player. Heading, tackles, long/short passing, scoring every type of goal, defensive set pieces, press resistence etc. That's what makes Kane complete, even if never scores a 60 yard solo run.

Son is one of the best forwards in the world but he's still not complete. Admitting such an obvious thing does us (or Son) no harm.

Just to be clear to the blinkered. I'm not saying Son is shit and we should sell. He just has a very narrow effective operating range. More so than players like Sterling, Salah, Mane, and others who can receive the ball ahead of a relatively packed defence and make something happen.

Chelsea have the same problem with Werner (except he's a shit finisher too), doesn't make him an outright shit player. They just have to use him the right way, get him those through balls to run on to and use his pace. Don't expect him to orchastrate play or outmuscle CBs.

What the fk is your point? With your logic, every single player in the world is limited and patchy. Is it so hard for you to understand different players have different strengths + weaknesses..?

Last edited:
The disrespect Son gets even from some Spurs fan is mind boggling.
We have been asking for this type of quality player for years and we finally have one
and still some troll thinks he is not good enough.

When he is gone.... we are going to miss him... ALOT!!!

Supermodel walks by.

Person #1: Wow she's hot. What would you give her on a scale of 1-10?

Person #2: She's a perfect 10!

Person #3: No way, she's a 12!

:
college basketball dunkin donuts dunk contest GIF by Dunkin’ Donuts

Last edited:

You sir need to get your dick out of your hand or FUT and stop being a cunt.
He has pace, he dribbles, can hit a ball from outside the box, can score with both feet and is a good bloke.
His isn’t just a great player (one of the best in the world ATM) he is a proper yiddo.
Go pick up your library card and fuck off back to the Emirates you goon.

Back
Top Bottom