Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That was part of the reason yes but I also said that is a poor reason not to sell.

I said I would look to probably strengthen the CM/CAM and CB position and try to bring in someone like Leao to replace Son. It would be a downgrade from Son to his direct replacement but also a way to improve the squad overall. Similar to when Liverpool sold Coutinho to fund their squad changes.

Again are you such a Son fanboi that you think he can't be sold? That is such a ridiculous notion.
Leao is around £35M from the research I did yesterday.
You have £45M left to spend on other positions. Continue

Leao is around £35M from the research I did yesterday.
You have £45M left to spend on other positions. Continue

Then don't get Leao he was an example and that number is completely made up.

You want a list of exact players that I would add with made up numbers that neither you or I have any idea are accurate or not?

All this when my view is that I would likely keep Son but explore selling him? Are you that much of a snowflake.

Then don't get Leao he was an example and that number is completely made up.

You want a list of exact players that I would add with made up numbers that neither you or I have any idea are accurate or not?

All this when my view is that I would likely keep Son but explore selling him? Are you that much of a snowflake.
I didn’t make up the Leao number, it was based on this:
Wolves apparently had a bid of 40 million euros rejected for him.

I’m just asking you who you would replace Son with. The prices can be approximations, obviously they’re not going to be exact.

Keeping old players is not going to win us anything. The best thing to do is sell them and buy younger players that can extend our window of opportunity.

I do kinda understand your point on this, but for a squad to be successful it needs a mix of younger players and older more experienced players. Son brings a decent amount of experience with him.
It makes sense to sell the likes of Lamela (29), Rose (30), Doherty (29), and Sissoko (31) if we're concerned about having too many older players.
It makes zero sense to sell Son though regardless of his age, he's far too important for us.

I’m just asking you who you would replace Son with. The prices can be approximations, obviously they’re not going to be exact.

It is a guesstimate we don't know what it will cost for players, we don't know who is or isn't available.

Again are you then saying that Son is not sellable? That we can't replace him or get by if we sold him for a big fee?

I would look at something like this:

Michael Olise for 8 million
Jean-Clair Todibo for 20 million
Joachim Andersen for 25 million
CM/CAM for 40 million ideally not Sabitzer.

Would look at adding a player to directly replace Son with the funds from sales of our other players. I think we could raise the 35 million to get Leao if that is what it costs.

The problem is I do not know who is available this summer. I do know that based on past windows that there are plenty of players that could be bought with that money to make us a better team overall. But I am not working in the transfer business so my numbers and players available are all just random guesses.

It is a guesstimate we don't know what it will cost for players, we don't know who is or isn't available.

Again are you then saying that Son is not sellable? That we can't replace him or get by if we sold him for a big fee?
Right now I don’t think there are players of a similar class we can attract, so it would be a big blow if we sold him.
Hence I’m asking you who do you think we can replace him with.

You keep deflecting by talking about the fact we can’t know for sure who is available and what exact prices are. This is obviously true but doesn’t change the fundamentals regarding how hard it would be to replace Son.

Right now I don’t think there are players of a similar class we can attract, so it would be a big blow if we sold him.
Hence I’m asking you who do you think we can replace him with.

You keep deflecting by talking about the fact we can’t know for sure who is available and what exact prices are. This is obviously true but doesn’t change the fundamentals regarding how hard it would be to replace Son.

I am not deflecting I have said my first choice is to keep him, you keep ignoring that.

I also don't see why we would replace him one for one, that makes little sense. If we were doing that then you look at Sancho. Yes he costs more but his age likely makes it worth it.

Otherwise what you do is to improve the team overall even if individually you take a hit, like other teams have done in the past. Yes it is more risky but worth looking at for a team like us that don't have unlimited funds.

I would look at something like this:

Michael Olise for 8 million
Jean-Clair Todibo for 20 million
Joachim Andersen for 25 million
CM/CAM for 40 million ideally not Sabitzer.
Fair.
Bear in mind that even without selling Son we probably could afford a net spend of ~30M. We could afford to sell Davinson, and replace him with Todibo and Andersen.

Now let’s say Son is sold on top of that:
Which CM would you buy for ~£40M if not Sabitzer. Olise for 8M is reasonable. You have approx £30M more to spend.

I also don't see why we would replace him one for one, that makes little sense. If we were doing that then you look at Sancho. Yes he costs more but his age likely makes it worth it.
Sancho would get an offer from a team who is in the CL and is offering mega wages. That’s been reported about already extensively. We wouldn’t be able to sign him.

They already had a world class front 3, so sold their 4th attacker and bought a CB which they needed.
They didnt have a world class 3 when they sold Coutinho. Coutinho was their best player the previous season.
You mean the club who sold Neymar and couldn’t replace him despite signing 3 £100M+ players?
and they should have sold messi as well. Bad buys is not a reason for not making good sales.
The only hope we have of becoming a big club is keeping our best players and then reinvesting the money we get from CL qualification to build a world class team.
Becoming a feeder club won’t win us anything.
and how well has that worked for us? How many trophies have we won with 4yrs of CL funds?

Fair.
Bear in mind that even without selling Son we probably could afford a net spend of ~30M. We could afford to sell Davinson, and replace him with Todibo and Andersen.

Which CM would you buy for ~£40M if not Sabitzer. Olise for 8M is reasonable. You have approx £30M more to spend.

i really don't know enough about who is available. I don't have a specific player in mind. Ideally it would be someone like a GLC, without the injuries, 24 or under, that could rotate in with Ndombele, GLC and even potentially PEH so that we have cover in that spot.

I agree with the sentiment and you are correct not selling him because you don't have faith in who we replace him with is a reason to improve your transfer team not to keep someone. However, I have doubts that we could get that much for him and with Levy, Hitchens and Jose likely going nowhere we are stuck with a terrible group deciding our transfers.
Nobody can be sure what we could get for him, particularly in the currently low market

Sancho would get an offer from a team who is in the CL and is offering mega wages. That’s been reported about already extensively. We wouldn’t be able to sign him.

Probably not but again worth exploring. Like no chance now with how we have fallen out of CL contention, but when we had Poch no reason to think we shouldn't be attractive to those types of players.

And what is the point of the new stadium if not to bump us into the big class of players? It might not get us Mbappe, Haaland, Neymar, but surely we should be in the 2nd tier of players like Sancho.

I do kinda understand your point on this, but for a squad to be successful it needs a mix of younger players and older more experienced players. Son brings a decent amount of experience with him.
It makes sense to sell the likes of Lamela (29), Rose (30), Doherty (29), and Sissoko (31) if we're concerned about having too many older players.
It makes zero sense to sell Son though regardless of his age, he's far too important for us.
You sell him cos you need the money to improve the quality of the squad.

Those other players should be sold cos they are do not meet the requirement of a club with title ambitions. We would probably get as much from selling Son as we would from selling all of them

i really don't know enough about who is available. I don't have a specific player in mind. Ideally it would be someone like a GLC, without the injuries, 24 or under, that could rotate in with Ndombele, GLC and even potentially PEH so that we have cover in that spot.
The problem is, if a player is good enough to replace Son, he probably would have offers from clubs that are CL qualified and offer huge wages.
That’s why I would fear selling either Son or Kane.

As you showed, a net spend of £30M (don’t need to sell Son for that) this year could improve our CB situation.

I think keeping Son and Kane gives us best chance of more revenue from European competitions in the next couple of seasons (whether that’s deep in Europa, or CL qualification). In 2022 invest that revenue in RW and RB.

Not only would selling Son weaken our team, the loss in revenue from European prize money (CL qualification or going deep in Europa) in next few seasons would probably mean we lose the money gained by selling him.
This is why having a ‘selling feeder club’ mentality never works in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom