Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Son will easily turn into a bigger Spurs legend than Harry Kane (despite being a worse player) thanks to longevity if the latter leaves. For instance, nobody thinks Rooney was on same level as prime Cristiano. But Rooney is a bigger Man Utd legend due to accumulated stats & played 15 years there.

I wouldn't be surprised if Son Heung-min elevates his game on a new level like Karim Benzema (post-2018) if Harry Kane leaves

For years, Benzema used to be a meme player and even Real Madrid fans wanted to get rid of him. Benzema was not a top 10 striker in most people eyes. The likes of Lewy, Zlatan, Kane, Cavani, Aubameyang, Icardi, Immobile, Falcao, Higuain, Džeko etc. were rated a lot higher back then.

- 2016-17 season 11 LaLiga goals in 29 games
- 2017-18 season 5 LaLiga goals in 32 games

However, Benzema's production drastically improved after CR7 left and Bale massively declined.

- 2018-19 season 21 LaLiga goals in 36 games
- 2019-20 season 21 LaLiga goals in 37 games
- 2020-21 season 23 LaLiga goals in 34 games

Occams Razor suggests so, but feels like they're pushing him as the "main man". Maybe I'm overthinking it.
Taken as a whole, he has been our main man as much as Kane has been over the past 3-4 seasons.
If anything, Kane has been 1a while Son has been 1b.
Even last season, where Kane arguably had his best all around season, Son wasn't much far behind Kane as far as overall production.

Son will easily turn into a bigger Spurs legend than Harry Kane (despite being a worse player) thanks to longevity if the latter leaves. For instance, nobody thinks Rooney was on same level as prime Cristiano. But Rooney is a bigger Man Utd legend due to accumulated stats & played 15 years there.

Absolutely nobody was saying anything like this 24 hours ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if Son Heung-min elevates his game on a new level like Karim Benzema (post-2018) if Harry Kane leaves

For years, Benzema used to be a meme player and even Real Madrid fans wanted to get rid of him. Benzema was not a top 10 striker in most people eyes. The likes of Lewy, Zlatan, Kane, Cavani, Aubameyang, Icardi, Immobile, Falcao, Higuain, Džeko etc. were rated a lot higher back then.

- 2016-17 season 11 LaLiga goals in 29 games
- 2017-18 season 5 LaLiga goals in 32 games

However, Benzema's production drastically improved after CR7 left and Bale massively declined.

- 2018-19 season 21 LaLiga goals in 36 games
- 2019-20 season 21 LaLiga goals in 37 games
- 2020-21 season 23 LaLiga goals in 34 games

Without Kane, Son wouldn't have had half the goals he had last season for fucks sake. Not to say he can't perform and do well without Kane. He's already shown he can. But the stuff people are coming up with to try and make themselves feel better about the situation is ridiculous.

Without Kane, Son wouldn't have had half the goals he had last season for fucks sake. Not to say he can't perform and do well without Kane. He's already shown he can. But the stuff people are coming up with to try and make themselves feel better about the situation is ridiculous.
The same could be said about Kane though. Without Son he wouldn't have had most of his assists. And several goals came via assists from Son. Works both ways.

Also, we've looked into this before - Son's goal production is actually higher on a per minute basis without Kane. This is being over a span of 30 or so apps.

The same could be said about Kane though. Without Son he wouldn't have had most of his assists. And several goals came via assists from Son. Works both ways.

We've looked into this before - Son's goal production is actually higher on a per minute basis without Kane. This is being over a span of 30 or so apps.

Well yeah, I won't disagree with that. But all of a sudden, Son is and has always been better than Kane is some people's eyes. The fickle-ness of football supporters gets a bit much.

Well yeah, I won't disagree with that. But all of a sudden, Son is and has always been better than Kane is some people's eyes. The fickle-ness of football supporters gets a bit much.
I don't think anyone has said that. It's more that people are rewarding Son, as Spurs fans, for his loyalty to the club. So yeah, if Kane ends up leaving and Son stays for another 3-4 years and produces at a high level and finishes his career with us, he will probably been seen as a club legend.

I don't think anyone has said that. It's more that people are rewarding Son, as Spurs fans, for his loyalty to the club. So yeah, if Kane ends up leaving and Son stays for another 3-4 years and produces at a high level and finishes his career with us, he will probably been seen as a club legend.

He's well on his way to becoming just that. But at the end of the day, Kane has been our best player consistently for years now. That shouldn't suddenly be forgotten just to suit people's agenda because Harry has left a bitter taste in their mouths.

Son is already a club legend. He has over 100+ goals & one of the biggest reasons Spurs established themselves into a top club.

Back
Top Bottom