Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Shame they cannot finish nearly as well as Son can.
Unfortunately....

However, there's always a bit of hope with Lucas. He can do something magic from time to time and I'm still on Stevie's side. Hoping that sooner or later his endeavour will start to deliver some chances, assists and some goals. I think it's possible with Steve... if he can start crossing over that line, I think we'd actually have a scary player there...

There are videos of him training. So he has COVID but apparently isn't contagious?

WTF is going on?

Happy Parks And Recreation GIF

Clearly our best and most efficient attacker

And some say he's patchy

wuoTIcQ.jpg

Last season:

"Over the last 12 matches Heung-Min Son has taken 24 shots, which is actually 1 more than he took over those first 13 matches. However, of those 24 shots only 2 have found the back of the net. Son went from a 48% true conversation rate to an8% rate."

...Regardless; the notion that he can be patchy isn't simply his conversion rate. When he's in a bad patch he can be a complete ghost.

Go back through this thread... Every season there'll be spells when he's widely acknowledged as not playing well.

Cracking player; but much like Defoe, he's always been a purple patch player.

Last edited:
Last season:

"Over the last 12 matches Heung-Min Son has taken 24 shots, which is actually 1 more than he took over those first 13 matches. However, of those 24 shots only 2 have found the back of the net. Son went from a 48% true conversation rate to an8% rate."

...That said; the notion that he can be patchy isn't simply about whether his conversion rate; when he's in a bad patch he can be a complete ghost.

Go back through this thread... Every season there'll be spells when he's widely acknowledged as not playing well.

Cracking player; but much like Defoe, he's always been a purple patch player.
How do his 'patches' look against other Wingers?

Wingers are notoriously patchy, especially ones that don't take penalties

And if he's truly patchy player how is he literally/statistically the most clinical player in Europe?

As I've literally just said; the point about him being patchy is not solely based upon goal-scoring.

Not solely based on goal scoring? What about leading the PL in assists among attackers while also being statistically the most clinical attacker in Europe?

I don't disagree that he can be patchy but again, I'd attribute that to him being deployed as a wide on the wing where he's not effective at all. If you played him in CF, you wouldn't see the inconsistency.

You do.... Have.... And will again.

Get back to me later in the season when his next drought hits.
And when the next drought hits, I will be on here saying he should be benched, as should every player when they don't deserve to be playing.

That said, I don't think he's dissimilar to other elite wingers out there as far as being patchy. Just checked and the other two elite LWs in the PL Sterling/Mane. Over the last 3 seasons, they've gone on stretches of 6-8 games on several occasions with just 1 or 2 goal contributions. Not too dissimilar to Son.

And some say he's patchy
I don't disagree that he can be patchy

:deledoubt:

I don’t think anyone has said he’s any different to other wingers, I think most people just express disappointment when he’s out of form because he becomes completely anonymous on the field. If he’s not playing well it’s like playing with 10 men which is where I think he can sometimes differ from other elite wingers.

People seem to forget that football started before 1992 and Sky’s American influence of judging the game based on stats alone. As Airfixx Airfixx has said it’s not solely down to the goal scoring, it’s about other factors too.

And when the next drought hits, I will be on here saying he should be benched, as should every player when they don't deserve to be playing.

That said, I don't think he's dissimilar to other elite wingers out there as far as being patchy. Just checked and the other two elite LWs in the PL Sterling/Mane. Over the last 3 seasons, they've gone on stretches of 6-8 games on several occasions with just 1 or 2 goal contributions. Not too dissimilar to Son.

For the Nth time.... You can still play well and contribute without clocking up a goal or an assist.

There's been a shit load of games over the last few years when our attack has been dysfunctional and blunt..... The effort is always there with Son; but his poor spells often see his dribbling, linking, passing and general involvement being poor.

For the sake of the metrics you're clinging to though:

20/12/20 > 04/04/21 (3 1/2 months / 14 league games) = 2 EPL goals - Notably a significant number of those games he was dreadful.....

You began this exchange suggesting such things were a myth.... Much like you did in the HK thread yesterday.... Now you're climbing down and making what you'd describe in relation to HK as "excuses".

Please; don't make me overplay my hand here.... My point isn't to slag the guy off. As I said in post #1:

I think he's a "Cracking player".

Last edited:
:deledoubt:

I don’t think anyone has said he’s any different to other wingers, I think most people just express disappointment when he’s out of form because he becomes completely anonymous on the field. If he’s not playing well it’s like playing with 10 men which is where I think he can sometimes differ from other elite wingers.

People seem to forget that football started before 1992 and Sky’s American influence of judging the game based on stats alone. As Airfixx Airfixx has said it’s not solely down to the goal scoring, it’s about other factors too.
So by your definition of patchy, which Spurs player isn't patchy? And which elite PL LW isn't patchy?

Back
Top Bottom