Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You’ve been on here for a long while now. Is it my imagination, or were player threads more positive back in the day?

Now, even after a victory, the first threads bumped on the Spurs forum are Winks being called Wanks, Stevie B being called Fatberg, Doherty being a donkey, Aurier being an idiot, Kane and or Son being greedy, Lamela being a crock, etc.

Seems to happen after every match. Maybe it’s just my imagination that it used to be different. I’m very possibly just being an old man shouting at a cloud. Just seems strange that the first reaction to a victory is to rip into one of our own.

As you said elsewhere, constructive criticism is fine, but there’s a hell of a lot of agenda driven shite going on here.
I tend to skim over the negative stuff and arguments, as they do my head in. The comments are so unreasonable. A lot of the blame has to be on the media, especially Sky, who dissect a game to the nth degree, that one bad pass is the end of the world. The people on here who are deliberately confrontational should take a long, hard look at themselves, it gets so boring after a while.

Definitely has to do with people slowly realizing our potential.
-Kane and Son in superb form
-great start of the season
-Title race being unpredictable
-Hojbjerg and Ndombele

We are now seeing that some of our players just aren’t good enough to get top4 comfortably. I think it’s natural to see flaws in our players but people need to keep it sensible and constructive
Exactly - no need to be nasty!!

Not sure how you can say there’s a better player in the PL this year when you see ridiculous stats like this not to mention his defensive work. Lucky to have him. Hope RM cools their interest b/c a part of me tells me that he would consider a move.

Not sure how you can say there’s a better player in the PL this year when you see ridiculous stats like this not to mention his defensive work. Lucky to have him. Hope RM cools their interest b/c a part of me tells me that he would consider a move.
What part tells you he might be considering a move. Got me lost me at the xG yo. Can you elaborate og? Lol

I tend to skim over the negative stuff and arguments, as they do my head in. The comments are so unreasonable. A lot of the blame has to be on the media, especially Sky, who dissect a game to the nth degree, that one bad pass is the end of the world. The people on here who are deliberately confrontational should take a long, hard look at themselves, it gets so boring after a while.
Its the odd weirdly personal ones that are dragged over thread after thread that kill me. Soooo not intresting for the rest of of us. Its so teenage boy. They're hauling up quotes of what one said back in 2016. The F word the C word your family your wife!... They are adult men 😳

It’s a dreadful article. The author tries to understand statistics but doesn’t fully grasp it.

As he states, Son has outperformed his xG for 5 years.

It’s not coming back to the mean. Son outperforms others mostly due to his amazing 2 footed efficiency and also likely due to some of the flaws of this stat. This season may regress close to his others (which is still well above mean) but there’s enough data to clearly say Son is an outlier.

the Ashley Barnes comparison to CR7 is just terrible. Both are right at the mean of finishers using xG and the author scoffs that clearly CR7 should be better. No shit, that’s why one has 34 goals and one 117. This stat only explains shooting ability, and quantity of goals makes a huge difference in explaining total all around scoring ability.

The part where he says football analytics experts say finishing ability is not a skill and doesn’t differ between top professional players is also laughable. He may have gotten that from Woolwichs analyst.

xG is just a statistic that has a lot of flaws. You get penalized for great positioning if you miss the shot ( or it’s blocked) whereas a player who can’t even create the chance doesn’t get penalized.

Tap ins are likely undervalued in this stat due to positioning being a huge variable here. The xG of a tap in might be something like .96 so scoring it won’t improve much vs the mean. However, top positional CFs will get far more of these than the average player. They will just see a quantity in goals scored increase but won’t get too much further from the mean.

Distance shots have a lower xG which allow for much much more deviation from the mean. Players who primarily take distance shots and excel are going to see significantly better xGoals than the average player. Great distance shooters may be well above average until you factor in shots closer to the goal. Being less efficient at these will hurt performance vs xG as the xG will be higher ( a miss will be more impactful).

Son is a great distance shooter who doesn’t take a lot of shots from inside the six yard box. He also is a top finisher with both feet (this is huge). Furthermore, he doesn’t get a lot of shots blocked.

He should basically have his own xG value if you want to accurately reflect the significance of one of his scoring chances.

I find in recent times, these message boards / forums actually for the most part detract from the enjoyment of supporting our club due to the negative and toxic environment that gets created by the few posters who have way more time than others.
Yes, I've noticed some of the most prolific posters have the least amount of constructive or interesting things to import on here. Racking up post counts in the tens of thousands but adding very little constructive comment. I guess interesting and intelligent people's skills, experiences and/or personal qualities are wanted elsewhere so they don't have loads of time to post on forums/social media. Conversely, look out for several posters with post counts in the dozens or low hundreds who make consistently interesting and thoughtful posts. There are exceptions either way of course.

I've only been here two years and I think that the overall vibe of the forum has become more negative in that time. I think it's partly because of the toxic culture some of the more active members of the site have with personal agendas and cliques targeting specific posters, but also it's partly down to the huge disappointment in seeing us get so tantalisingly close and then ultimately falling short.
It's raised many posters expectations and therefore it's incredibly frustrating when we drop points or make mistakes as people feel we shouldn't be.
What I also find irritating on here (and on social media) is when interesting posts/comments are ignored or go under the radar because two or more posters are too busy pursuing a beef and it's that which gets all the traction/comments.

133431-E7-1004-4-CC5-8-CB2-1-FDC698-A2-C7-B.jpg

What I also find irritating on here (and on social media) is when interesting posts/comments are ignored or go under the radar because two or more posters are too busy pursuing a beef and it's that which gets all the traction/comments.

Absolutely. It can completely derail a thread sometimes.

When is the last time he took on a defender? Always just cut and pass back. In the past we have seen him take his man on to good affect.

He takes the least amount on dribbles of all qualified wingers in the PL. He never been good at taking on defenders, he’d constantly lose possession in previous years, so most likely it’s coaches instructions telling him to play it simple.

In previous years he’d probably be where Salah and Rashford are currently in the chart.

E:Just noticed Pepe on the bottom right :mourweird: :mourpointlaugh:

Last edited:

He takes the least amount on dribbles of all qualified wingers in the PL. He never been good at taking on defenders, he’d constantly lose possession in previous years, so most likely it’s coaches instructions telling him to play it simple.

In previous years he’d probably be where Salah and Rashford are currently in the chart.

E:Just noticed Pepe on the bottom right :mourweird: :mourpointlaugh:

That graph shows that he is actually one of the more successful dribblers in the league, but he just doesn't attempt to make the dribble as often as the others. He normally looks for the pass these days.

We're launching Korean versions of our socials.

Not to be too tin foil hat. But I do not think we would have done this if Son was on the way out. I wouldn't at least.

Back
Top Bottom