Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nice to see Sonny on the bench, supporting his team mates. Dressed in his civvies, he looked like the guy from the Milk Tray adverts, although he was wearing a black leather jacket that probably costs thousands but looked like it came from Primark.

Nice to see Sonny on the bench, supporting his team mates. Dressed in his civvies, he looked like the guy from the Milk Tray adverts, although he was wearing a black leather jacket that probably costs thousands but looked like it came from Primark.
I once owned a similar jacket that I bought in a Uniqlo sale for £20.
Nobody sussed it was plastic and some thought I had come into some money. My nerve went after a few wearings.

fair to say we play better without Son clogging up top.
Agreed. Might be a wise decision to maybe think about selling Son if we could get 50-60 million. Then go after a bona fide AM/playmaker.

If Kane stays and Conte rates him, then Son needs to go. Kane would benefit from an Eriksen type of player.

Son and Lucas is a bit too much hectic football

Last edited:
I am not even sure Son is an inspiring player as opposed to just a very good one, and even he has dipped in the last 9 months in the round.

It's part of the problem we have.

Not one player really gets you off your seat at the present time.

For a club like ours, built on such traditions, it's quite incredible.

Nobody but nobody takes the breath away. Son and Moura are probably closest and fatbelly sadly wobbles to deceive.

I am not even sure Son is an inspiring player as opposed to just a very good one, and even he has dipped in the last 9 months in the round.

Nobody but nobody takes the breath away. Son and Moura are probably closest and fatbelly sadly wobbles to deceive.
Who's the fatbelly? Tanguy?

If we keep Kane, I’d sell Son and build around Kane, Lucas and a boba fide AM

Son is probably triple Lucas’s value but offers just slightly more as far as overall impact to the game. Obviously better in front of the goal, but almost everything else, Lucas is equal if not better. Lucas is getting better under Conte too.

Last edited:
If we keep Kane, I’d sell Son and build around Kane, Lucas and a boba fide AM

Son is probably triple Lucas’s value but offers just slightly more as far as overall impact to the game. Obviously better in front of the goal, but almost everything else, Lucas is equal if not better. Lucas is getting better under Conte too.
Can't agree with this. I like to keep all three but there's no way Lucas is equal if not better in almost everything except in front of the goal than Son. I love Lucas and in some games he looks like he's the only one that can break down opposition's defence but obviously there's more than just that to be effective. Stats don't tell the whole story but as a forward player, it does matter quite a lot at end of season IMO.

Not sure why you want to sell Son of all people.

Not sure why you want to sell Son of all people.
Kane, Son and Lucas aren't an effective front 3, particularly when team's park the bus. So we need someone that can break down defenses with a pass. An Eriksen type of player.

Son and Lucas are very similar and both play a hectic brand of football. Lucas can do a lot of what Son can do.

Out of Son and Lucas, the player we can sell and still get good money from a sale is Son. If we sell him for 50-60 million, we can use that to sign a real Eriksen type of AM which will benefit Kane AND Lucas greatly.

The incremental improvement of Son over Lucas under Conte. as far as overall play, isn't as wide/significant as you think. I'd argue that Lucas will be more effective than Son under Conte.

Kane is the talisman under Conte so he's untouchable.

I like to keep all three but there's no way Lucas is equal if not better in almost everything except in front of the goal than Son.
Son is more clinical in front of goal but Lucas is better at breaking down teams that park the bus, a better dribbler, better with his back to goal, better in the air and one that's more likely to create something out of nothing in the middle of the field.

As far as the way Conte plays - there are two reasons why Lucas is better suited.. 1) with wingbacks, getting in behind defenses becomes less important for players like Son/Lucas. If Son isn't getting behind defenses, his main/best attribute is taken away from him. 2) Son is a better winger or striker than Lucas - I agree. But Son's not playing either one of those positions. He and Lucas are sort of playing in this AM/deep second striker sort of role and it's clearly not suited for Son's playing style. Lucas is much more effective in this deeper/central role.

Last edited:
Kane, Son and Lucas aren't an effective front 3, particularly when team's park the bus. So we need someone that can break down defenses with a pass. An Eriksen type of player.

Son and Lucas are very similar and both play a hectic brand of football. Lucas can do a lot of what Son can do.

Out of Son and Lucas, the player we can sell and still get good money from a sale is Son. If we sell him for 50-60 million, we can use that to sign a real Eriksen type of AM which will benefit Kane AND Lucas greatly.

The incremental improvement of Son over Lucas under Conte. as far as overall play, isn't as wide/significant as you think. I'd argue that Lucas will be more effective than Son under Conte.

Kane is the talisman under Conte so he's untouchable.

Son is more clinical in front of goal but Lucas is better at breaking down teams that park the bus, a better dribbler, better with his back to goal, better in the air and one that's more likely to create something out of nothing in the middle of the field.

As far as the way Conte plays - there are two reasons why Lucas is better suited.. 1) with wingbacks, getting in behind defenses becomes less important for players like Son/Lucas. If Son isn't getting behind defenses, his main/best attribute is taken away from him. 2) Son is a better winger or striker than Lucas - I agree. But Son's not playing either one of those positions. He and Lucas are sort of playing in this AM/deep second striker sort of role and it's clearly not suited for Son's playing style. Lucas is much more effective in this deeper/central role.
I get your points and you could very well be correct with us specifically playing Conte's system where Son's main attributes maybe less suited than Lucas' as you point out. Need to see more games though. At the same time did any of the three really looked good when we were playing with three up front? Especially when Kane plays higher up vs dropping back deeper?

I think though it's too soon to make assumptions where each player will fit in or do well or not in his system. It's even too early to think who will stay or not. For all we know Conte's vision may be completely different for our squad in the near future. If the club decides its best to sell Son than I would think that means we would want to rebuild. If that's the case then Kane would be sold and Lucas given his age may as well.

I get your points and you could very well be correct with us specifically playing Conte's system where Son's main attributes maybe less suited than Lucas' as you point out. Need to see more games though. At the same time did any of the three really looked good when we were playing with three up front? Especially when Kane plays higher up vs dropping back deeper?

I think though it's too soon to make assumptions where each player will fit in or do well or not in his system. It's even too early to think who will stay or not. For all we know Conte's vision may be completely different for our squad in the near future. If the club decides its best to sell Son than I would think that means we would want to rebuild. If that's the case then Kane would be sold and Lucas given his age may as well.
Conte playing with wingbacks is the end for Son, unless he learns to adapt his game. He hasn't so far despite having goals

Keeping Kane and selling Son wouldn’t mean rebuild. Conte, the fans and the club believes Kane is the centerpiece. Son is secondary along with Lucas

Last edited:

This why we should do everything humanly possible to buy Luis Diaz. Lets bring skill pace and technique back to the Lane where it belongs.

This why we should do everything humanly possible to buy Luis Diaz. Lets bring skill pace and technique back to the Lane where it belongs.

I would be lying to say so know of the player but 100% to that sentiment.

As much as anything that is part of our DNA.

We had Kane, Alli and at times Eriksen before and obviously Bale was the creme de is creme before them.

Now we are just a working team, with Moura arguably closes to having individual spurts of excellence.

Back
Top Bottom