Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can just imagine the disappointment on Sonny's face as he logs onto TFC all the way from Asia expecting to see hundreds of posts praising his performances this season only to find the last dozen posts in the Son thread being about how good looking Jack Grealish is...

:harrylol:
Yeah....kinda confused. I thought I was in the transfer or match thread. Sonny may think too.

Great article from the Atlantic. Been saying it for the last 3 years - playing Son more centrally and more 'in the box' (and playing Kane deeper) would do wonders for Spurs and Son's goal scoring numbers. I predicted Son to compete for a golden boot a couple seasons ago if we made this transition/change but the notion was scoffed at by the people on this forum arguing that no one would beat/replace Kane as our main goalscorer. I fully expect Son to be even more lethal as we bring on more creators that can provide him with adequate service.

u5wYrsT.jpg

"This illustrates the point that Son is now being allowed to play in a more conventional centre-forward role than he did in the past. Under Pochettino, Kane would be the No 9 and Son would play on the left. Now, Son effectively plays as the No 9 and Kane plays as a No 10 behind him. This is precisely the dynamic, Kane passing to Son from wide or deep, that has produced dozens and dozens of goals for Spurs in the last few years."

Great article from the Atlantic. Been saying it for the last 3 years - playing Son more centrally and more 'in the box' (and playing Kane deeper) would do wonders for Spurs and Son's goal scoring numbers. I predicted Son to compete for a golden boot a couple seasons ago if we made this transition/change but the notion was scoffed at by the people on this forum arguing that no one would beat/replace Kane as our main goalscorer. I fully expect Son to be even more lethal as we bring on more creators that can provide him with adequate service.

u5wYrsT.jpg

"This illustrates the point that Son is now being allowed to play in a more conventional centre-forward role than he did in the past. Under Pochettino, Kane would be the No 9 and Son would play on the left. Now, Son effectively plays as the No 9 and Kane plays as a No 10 behind him. This is precisely the dynamic, Kane passing to Son from wide or deep, that has produced dozens and dozens of goals for Spurs in the last few years."
This is why we argue all the time because you always look on one side of the coin Kane dropping opens up a lot of space for our wing forwards and wing backs to run into on the Counter Attack that is. When we come against lesser teams when we have the ball and they don't have to come out this cannot work, so the idea is to counter the play your opponent is giving you, this is why we need to upgrade on our wingbacks so we have proper deliveries in the box .

This is why we argue all the time because you always look on one side of the coin Kane dropping opens up a lot of space for our wing forwards and wing backs to run into on the Counter Attack that is. When we come against lesser teams when we have the ball and they don't have to come out this cannot work, so the idea is to counter the play your opponent is giving you, this is why we need to upgrade on our wingbacks so we have proper deliveries in the box .
I don't disagree with any of what you said - especially the part about upgrading and needing good service from wingbacks. That said, I think that even when opposing teams park the bus, Son's presence in and around the box instead of out wide/left really has been a huge difference maker this season. He is constantly moving around with explosiveness/quickness finding little bits of space here and there, and better maneuvers himself to get free in tight/difficult situations. If you watch his repertoire of goals this season, a lot of them came from tight situations in the box. I haven't counted exactly but I think most of his goals this season were more #9 poacher-esque, rather than 1v1 counter attacking situations.

I think we can both agree that Kane spends far less time in and around the box, even when teams sit back. This allows players like Son/Kulu to raid the box and zigzag around defenses (with pace/quickness in Son's case) to find space. I think before, when we were struggling, our gameplan was 1) play the ball out wide to Son/Moura who then look for Kane in the box, 2) play a through ball/pass into Kane in and around the box. We were so predictable and the plan was easy to stop.

Sadly, there is no English subtitle for this video but you can see his dad's football academy and his older brother (in blue uniform).

Klopp's admired Son for ages. Son fortunately loves Spurs.

No poaching our Legend, Jürgen.
Exhibit. A

I remember seeing it, but didn't make much of it. Son's facial expression change is pretty telling, must've been annoyed by him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom