Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So what's the opinion on where he will fit in best? I don't know enough about him to say but guessing it's on the right in the 3 unless Eriksen went to the left in place of Chadli.

So what's the opinion on where he will fit in best? I don't know enough about him to say but guessing it's on the right in the 3 unless Eriksen went to the left in place of Chadli.
Apparently he played mostly on the left for Leverkusen. Could be that he'll rotate with Chadli, and N'jie will rotate with Lamela on the right.

[인터뷰] 손흥민, 지성이 형한테도 말 못한 토트넘 이적 비화 :: 네이버스포츠

The looooog interview is made in Korean. Below is my sloppy - abstracted - translation.

---------

Son answered to the questions regarding the important decision he made last week, as well as another important goal; World Cup.

Q. You must had a hectic time last week.

A. Indeed. Only about a week left before closure of transfer window, the two clubs were very busy negotiating. I also had mad times, visiting London back and forth.

Q. So I’m worried about your fitness.

A. I’m alright. You don’t need to worry about it. I was stressed out before all the deals are done, couldn’t sleep well for a week. But now everything is done and dusted, I feel very comfortable. Good to be back home as well.

Q. What made you struggle with insomnia?

A. Bayern didn’t agree with the move at first. They were worried that I might be leaving a week before the window closed. They didn’t have enough time to find a new one. I appreciate them trying to hold me, which also makes me feel bad. But I really wanted to play in the PL once. I was desperate since I think Spurs is a great side and I know Poch is a good coach as well. That’s why I was stressed out.

Q. Also you had to deal this important business with the national team schedule.

A. I have missed some matches with Leverkusen for my medical test and so. That’s why the match against Laos is very important personally: playing on the pitch and focus on the football again. I feel good, so if the opportunity is given I’ll do everything I can. I have to leave for England earlier than other players to finalize my procedures with the club, that’s why I have to pay 100%.

Q. Many people are looking forward to see you play, since your transfer was such a big issue here.

A. I know many fans are looking forward to me. I appreciate them, I tend to enjoy those spotlights. I’ll show my best at pitch.

Q. Your national teammate Chung-yong Lee also plays in London.

A. He was the first person I met when I visited London. He was delighted and said “(you’re coming to) London! London!!” I’m glad that I have people to rely on in London when I struggle with the life in the city or in the PL. Lee is actually kind of my role model since I was a kid. He’s always very good to me. I’m so happy to have him nearby.

Q. Ji-sung Park also lives in London. Did you call him?

A. (Laughs) Actually, when the clubs were negotiating Park called me first. He asked if I was in London. Then actually my medical check was undergoing in London but I had to deny it. I was getting checked, putting papers on the body getting ECG or something, the deal was so confidential so I had to deny it. I felt so bad about it, so the day after I signed the contract and directly called him. Thankfully he understood the situation and told me that he’ll be staying in London for a while so feel free to call him anytime I want. He said he’s usually idle and have tons of time. He’s such a good person.

Q. So you lied to him. (Laughs)

A. No no, I didn’t lie! The situation was tricky and I was being careful as it’s confidential. He understood me.

Q. Talking about the national team, this is the 2nd match of Asian qualifying round. Your freekick against Myanmar in June was amazing.

A. I was amazed at it too. There was a foul there, Yeom Kihoon did the kick first but the keeper saved it. So when the chance came I said I would do the kick. Then I put the ball and stared at the goal, and it seemed too far! So then I asked Yeom whether he’d like to kick it again. But he said I should kick it so I just did it. The ball struck well but I thought the keeper can save it again, but somehow it became a goal. Few days ago Ki Sung-Yeung called me and asked “Are you going to kick that fluck shot again?”. I said hell yeah, I’m gonna do that again!

Q. The striker Lee Jeong-hyup is out for being injured, other forward players are highly demanded.

A. The game will not be easy. Games like this are more difficult. Our individual players or team power might be better than their’s, but Laos will play a very defensive game so we will have to break down narrow spaces they allow. People are expecting multiple goals but these games are what the team play is most asked for. Not only this single match but every match to qualify for the World Cup is important: we have to play as a team, a strong team.

Q. It’ll be more stressful when everybody says the game is easy.

A. Right. We have to try not to be relaxed. The match against Myanmar wasn’t easy at all. The initial atmosphere of the match is important. We have to make them feel that there’s no hope of win here.

Q. What do you think of the head coach, Uli Stielike?

A. I feel very comfortable with him as I can communicate with him in German. He’s good to me as well. He looks like a coach who can develop each player’s ability. Tactically, he plays football that doesn’t lose, which is his most distinctive character.

Q. Matches for the national team are important, but your constant play at your team will say it all. So you’ll have to adapt to Tottenham soonest possible. What was your first impression of PL?

A. I watched a game at the Lane. It was different atmosphere, different tactics, different type of fans which were all very exciting. The most impressive thing was that when Germans play football focused on tactics, English football seemed very pacey and physical. 1v1 defending looked quite tight. It’s an exciting football that I always wanted to play. So I cannot guarantee my success but I want to play my best.

Q. What should you do to strengthen yourself, and what’s your confidence?

A. They play tough games, the referees don’t use their whistles much. So I thought I’ve got to strengthen myself physically. I’m confident with my shoots in any circumstances, so I would like to contribute to the team score.

Q. You’ll have to be getting well with Spurs players to be adapted.

A. I was fond of Dembélé and Vertonghen. When I first visited Spurs, Jan first came to me and said hello. So I said S. Korea had to come back from Brazil earlier than expected because of you guys, and he laughed. Spurs got many talented players, I’ll be following around them to be adapted.

Son said he was surprised when he visited Spurs Clubhouse. The club recently renovated their club house prior to the stadium. He did like the clubhouse of Leverkusen, but the facilities of Spurs were far beyond what he expected, and he loved it. New circumstances, new facilities and the fierce support of North Londoners - all will be spurring him to achieve his goals and dreams, he said.

Last edited:
What would you guys consider a successful season for Son? Will you be basing it on how many goals he scores? Assist? Will you take in mind coming from a different culture and league and allow bedding in time?

I'll personally be happy if by the end of the season he's an integral part of our line up and is playing with the skill and pace he's billed to have and contributing to our best attacking play.

I just couldn't stop thinking about the interviewer's mom jeans.
8d9ed68a4f0de10e13ff9f0ea9600c2c.jpg

This guy looks like the live-wire embodiment of vertical football, always looking to get things going forward in a hurry. Just what we need.

He's like headless-chicken Lamela, except with a head and two feet. SON IS CHICKEN WITH HEAD AND TWO FEET.

:angryscouser:

When is South Korea playing this weekend? Spurs website says they're playing, but I can't find it anywhere else.

They're playing Laos on Sept. 3rd in Korea. Son had to go back to Korea for international clearance anyway so it works out, and then he'll go back to London straightaway instead of traveling with the team to play the second qualifier against Lebanon. He hasn't had too much match time in August so it's a good opportunity to get some minutes before his debut against Sunderland.

As for goals I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll have a double digit goal tally across all competitions. Assists have never been his strong suit but then again Kiessling is nowhere near as prolific as Kane so we'll have to see. I can't wait to see him against Sunderland and hopefully he tears them a new one.

......embodiment of vertical football....

He's like headless-chicken Lamela, except with a head and two feet. SON IS CHICKEN WITH HEAD AND TWO FEET.

:angryscouser:

Vertical football.....VERTICAL FOOTBALL?!?!?

WTF IS THIS... YES THAT!! VERTIFOOKINCAL FOOTBALL

Back
Top Bottom