'Highest ever profit by English Club' - Guardian on us

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Personally I think the record breaking profit has come at a good time what with the finances needed for what will be the most expensive club football ground in the UK.

However I do want to see a successful transfer window, in both outgoings and incomings.

They don't need to be top dollar signings, so long as key area's are addressed and it doesn't look like we are fobbing off the manager with wank players he doesn't want / need.
Only thing that I would take issue with here is the fact that our various in-comings only "magically" became players that the managers didn't want or need long after they failed to make the grade. When the transfers went through they were seen as Levy finally backing the manager.

Can't really have it both ways.

Only thing that I would take issue with here is the fact that our various in-comings only "magically" became players that the managers didn't want or need long after they failed to make the grade. When the transfers went through they were seen as Levy finally backing the manager.

Can't really have it both ways.

Possibly. But with Fazio, it felt like we failed to get that mustache lad, and with Stambouli it was Schneiderlin.

However you are right, when we brought it players like Lamela, Soldado, Capoue etc I was delighted.

I guess this is where the spotlight will be on Mitchell and his team.

Bullshit - everyone with a triple-digit IQ could deduct Stambouli was a 3-rd option discount Schnederlin. Same for Coentrao / Davies

Possibly. But with Fazio, it felt like we failed to get that mustache lad, and with Stambouli it was Schneiderlin.
Absolutely true, but then it obviously wasn't like Levy just phoned in the deal and didn't really try to push it through, and left Poch hanging. We clearly went very hard after the both of them, but just neither ended up working out. Not all deals go through, and it really doesn't reflect poorly on Levy that his record for potential transfers isn't 100%.

I just think that most of us severely underestimate the time and difficulty of carrying out these transfers. We get the luxury of just sitting back and saying "hey, Poch wants that guy, so what's the big problem? Why haven't we bought him yet? What is taking so long? Levy clearly isn't backing him..."

My only real beef with these result are what Levy pays himself. Everything fits neatly e.g. 6th Highest revenue, 6th highest Salaries = Ave league position 6th. So why is he joint top highest paid Director not 6th? It would appear he has rewarded himself with a pay rise because of the increase in revenue from TV deals, which actually has nothing to do with him, the club and therefore him are the benefactors of the TV deal.

Absolutely true, but then it obviously wasn't like Levy just phoned in the deal and didn't really try to push it through, and left Poch hanging. We clearly went very hard after the both of them, but just neither ended up working out. Not all deals go through, and it really doesn't reflect poorly on Levy that his record for potential transfers isn't 100%.

I just think that most of us severely underestimate the time and difficulty of carrying out these transfers. We get the luxury of just sitting back and saying "hey, Poch wants that guy, so what's the big problem? Why haven't we bought him yet? What is taking so long? Levy clearly isn't backing him..."
After hearing how transfers really get done, people have no idea how true this is, for every club.

My only real beef with these result are what Levy pays himself. Everything fits neatly e.g. 6th Highest revenue, 6th highest Salaries = Ave league position 6th. So why is he joint top highest paid Director not 6th? It would appear he has rewarded himself with a pay rise because of the increase in revenue from TV deals, which actually has nothing to do with him, the club and therefore him are the benefactors of the TV deal.
When you own the club, you get to pick your wages. Right or wrong.

So why is 'amortisation' bollocks?

It's a perfectly respectable accounting term, when used in the context I used it.
strictly speaking its for intangibles, rather than fixed assets
but it represents a depreciation over time - which means that you are saying that the Bale money players are all overpriced

which I doubt too many would disagree with - with the exception of Dier and Eriksson I think all of them have proved to have been overpriced. Chadli possibly still holding value for his goals.

strictly speaking its for intangibles, rather than fixed assets
but it represents a depreciation over time - which means that you are saying that the Bale money players are all overpriced

which I doubt too many would disagree with - with the exception of Dier and Eriksson I think all of them have proved to have been overpriced. Chadli possibly still holding value for his goals.
No Mick, I'm not saying that. I'm no accountant but my understanding of player amortisation is that a player's value is written down over a number of years. So, for example IF we paid £30m for Lamela, then a typical write down would be £6m per year over 5 years.

Amortisation is not, in accounting terms, deciding whether they were overpriced or cheap, it's a standard depreciation of what we paid for a player, be he bargain or flop. It is true, it seems, we wrote off some 'extra' of the value of one player last season, but that was an exception NOT the rule.

We will be writing down as amortisation for this financial year, our buys from this season and the previous season, and doubtless the season before that. (Amortisation AFAIK usually lasts 4 or 5 years for a particular player).

Hence my correct (AFAIK) use of the term 'heavy amortisation' costs as we spent a lot on players during the past three-five years, particularly during 'the summer of Bale'.

We'll see when the next figures come out.

I also await Randomitable's reasoning as to why this perfectly respectable accounting term is 'bollocks'. :thumbup:

No Mick, I'm not saying that. I'm no accountant but my understanding of player amortisation is that a player's value is written down over a number of years. So, for example IF we paid £30m for Lamela, then a typical write down would be £6m per year over 5 years.

This is right, the true accounting treatment is the amortization occurs over the players contract length as they can technically go for free at end of contract, that is what is commonly used

This is right, the true accounting treatment is the amortization occurs over the players contract length as they can technically go for free at end of contract, that is what is commonly used

er...... amortisation (the proper british spelling by the way Mensa) come on this forum to escape banking bollocks after a day of MBS's and get this. How dare you.

:avbfu:

er...... amortisation (the proper british spelling by the way Mensa) come on this forum to escape banking bollocks after a day of MBS's and get this. How dare you.

:avbfu:

sorry mate the fucking spell check on my computer here beat me! I have to change words all the time on my emails back home! I too work at a bank here and use the forum for light relief!!

Back
Top Bottom