Hostility towards Harry Kane......

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One who has always stuck out to me in the media when it comes to comments on Harry is Rio Ferdinand.

I remember a few years back him saying that it would be harder to play against Lukaku. He has generally given the impression that he would back himself to get the better of Kane if they were playing at the same time.

I think it also linked to the FIFA trend with younger fans in that if you don't have 93 pace on the game you aren't dangerous.

It's easy to look at Kane and note that he isn't rapid and while, obviously strong, he isn't Lukaku or Drogba and maybe you can convince yourself that you would be able to handle him.

On a side note, I always enjoyed how Toby and Jan would dominate Lukaku whenever he faced us. I don't remember him ever having a good game which probably skewed my view on him as a talentless lump.

What they don't seem to credit Kane with is that he is in the top 3 of finishers in world football. I would put Messi and probably Lewandowski in there too. Ultimately, that is what a striker should be judged on.

His playmaking is now coming to the forefront and his ridiculous passing range is there to see.

He certainly lives up to his name!
2-BF376-A9-B53-D-4-AB0-93-D3-46-BCBDD1-DEEF.png

He only breathes through his mouth so he can taste their fear.

Fuck em all. Like Tottenham Sean Tottenham Sean said, I like being hated by other teams fans. We have won 2 League cups in three decades and yet half the teams in the Premier League either consider us rivals or have some random beef with us. The vast majority of our fans are not glory hunters and modern football fans can't understand it.

Kane is the embodiment of that.

We live in their heads rent free.

The reason we are so active in this window, in my opinion, is that Levy is scared of losing Harry if we don't start making some serious in roads to silverware.
Having Jose and his mentality in the mix will hopefully gee everyone up.
Levy knows that Harry won't commit to us forever if we don't start winning stuff, why would he. He's a fuckin beast and deserves success.
It's looking good for him to do it with us, at last.
Coys.

In a way we may as well spend Kane's transfer fee now in attempt to make it never happen

Best case you get back in CL and he stays

Worst case it doesn't come off and he wants to leave, but you've already strengthened the squad

1. Yes, he is. He's just not flashy.

2. That's because they hate us more than they hate him.

From day one he was dismissed and ignored, not because of his funny voice, but because he was ours, and no-one wanted us to have him. 'One Season Wonder' we heard, for about 3 seasons. If he had emerged in Liverpool, or even somewhere like the south coast, he wouldn't have gotten this stick, despite how easy some of his personal features might be for jokes. Look at 'slabhead' over at Old Trafford. Sure people make jokes, but if Maguire truly became world class, no-one would call him average or palm him off as a one-dimensional defender or whatever, just due to his forehead.

It's because Harry stays with us. It's not even about a lack of ambition. They just don't want SPURS to have him, so they downplay his importance and talent (at least until the World Cup comes around) to make it seem like he's not really such a big deal, and never will be until he plies his trade at a more 'suitable' club. I mean, I know I'm not exactly giving a revelation here, but that's why the media are always so desperate to get him into another locker room, same as they did for Poch.

Tossers.
I got unreasonably bent out of shape when Salah was already being declared one of the best PL forwards, world class etc. after his debut season, while Kane had to perform at a similar level for 3-4 consecutive seasons before he was even invited into that conversation.

Similar thing happened with Auba: guy wins one golden boot (tied three ways, with a lower goal total than either of Kane's boot-winning seasons) and suddenly it wasn't uncommon to see people calling him better than Kane. I think Auba's a great player and I wouldn't say he's far behind Kane, but it's the principle of the thing. It's the way certain players are given all the plaudits prematurely while others potentially never get their dues.

Case in point: a panel of so-called experts saw fit to actually downgrade Kane's stats in the newest FIFA cash-grab.

It's just jealousy. The better the player, the more people hate them. Klinsmann, Bale, Kane, rival fans always hate our best players just like we hated Hazard, Henry etc.
Messi and Ronaldo get more hate between them than almost every other player put together. Part of that is the "GOAT war", but, by extension, it's also just about being the best. We can fully expect the hate towards Kane to only get worse as long as his teams keep achieving.

In football, as in most things, the better you are, the more anyone who doesn't want you to succeed will focus their ire on you. People only have so much time and energy with which to hate. They have to dish it out according to a priority list, with the biggest threats at the top.

Kane has already passed - Drogba, Giggs, Wright, Keane, RvP on the EPL list soon he will pass Teddy, Sir Les, Owen, Defoe and Fowler ... next season Henry and Lampard then it's just Aguero, Cole, Rooney and Shearer to go.

The haters will just hate more even when he becomes the EPL and the England GOAT goal scorer.

One who has always stuck out to me in the media when it comes to comments on Harry is Rio Ferdinand.

I remember a few years back him saying that it would be harder to play against Lukaku. He has generally given the impression that he would back himself to get the better of Kane if they were playing at the same time.

I think it also linked to the FIFA trend with younger fans in that if you don't have 93 pace on the game you aren't dangerous.

It's easy to look at Kane and note that he isn't rapid and while, obviously strong, he isn't Lukaku or Drogba and maybe you can convince yourself that you would be able to handle him.

On a side note, I always enjoyed how Toby and Jan would dominate Lukaku whenever he faced us. I don't remember him ever having a good game which probably skewed my view on him as a talentless lump.

What they don't seem to credit Kane with is that he is in the top 3 of finishers in world football. I would put Messi and probably Lewandowski in there too. Ultimately, that is what a striker should be judged on.

His playmaking is now coming to the forefront and his ridiculous passing range is there to see.
I believe Rio Ferdinand just talks about himself and man mark job. Rio Ferdinand always struggle against powerful athletic forward, especially those that can play. I remembered he said one time dealing with Adebayor is tougher for him than Henry. Henry is athletic on the ground, but he likes to roam outside the box, than staying occupying the CB. Henry still scored against Rio Ferdinand Man U, but you can see Rio Ferdinand was more comfortable, while against, Drogba, Ibrahimovic, Brazillian Ronaldo... he would lose his ground in those mud fight.

He was lucky Man U found him a perfect partner, Vidic to help him out, or he would have continued to be a flashy flawed overpriced CB he was in the first few years at Man U. In England shirt, Juda and John Terry were always the better CB, and leader of pack. Rio was at best decent for England.

While Rio Ferdinand didn't play the whole game, but he was subbed on to keep the result at the end, and Lukaku left an impression on him on that day. There is a reason, he can't become a coach with that view on players.

Messi and Ronaldo get more hate between them than almost every other player put together. Part of that is the "GOAT war", but, by extension, it's also just about being the best. We can fully expect the hate towards Kane to only get worse as long as his teams keep achieving.

In football, as in most things, the better you are, the more anyone who doesn't want you to succeed will focus their ire on you. People only have so much time and energy with which to hate. They have to dish it out according to a priority list, with the biggest threats at the top.

Yep, agree 100%.

The more I see other club fans and the media pile on him, the more I am convinced he is truly a great player. Not that I needed convincing btw. The attention he gets is testament to his prominence.

Not all fans are glory hunting social media know alls. I remember a couple of seasons ago when Kane scored for fun at Huddersfield and when Kane got subbed their fans applauded him.

Not all fans are glory hunting social media know alls. I remember a couple of seasons ago when Kane scored for fun at Huddersfield and when Kane got subbed their fans applauded him.
I think that was the season after the WC, wasn't it? A lot of them will have been showing appreciation for him as semifinalist England captain in addition to his fantastic performance that day. Regardless of what motivated them, it was a rare and touching moment.

Not a bad boy, no god syndrome, doesn’t play the media game, conservative with a small c and model father. We got used to low standards with footballers, this shiny perfect happy people thing he has can drive cunts crazy

It’s the same as Bale. He’s a quiet family man like Kane. Probably why they never took to him in Madrid and it would be the same if Harry went somewhere like that.

Back
Top Bottom