How are we going to win the 2021/22 Premier League?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think we need to think big and forget about everything we've done over the last 7 years. It's more or less a given that Harry Kane won't be with us and I think it would be a mistake to put a big money striker to replace him at the top of the shopping list. We can achieve a lot more by shoring up the defence and using a false 9 to bring the rest of the team into the game to make sure the goal scoring responsibilities are shared all round. Big money strikers are always a risk and no one is going to live up to the job of replacing Kane. Best to save our money and focus on finding a manager to bring a fresh approach to the players we have left.

The main thing I want to see from our new manager, whether it's Golden Graham or whoever, is a reappraisal of our playing squad and getting things out of our existing players that we didn't know were there. I want to see our squad maximised to its full potential before we buy or sell another player.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Lock and burn this thread now. FFS.

Why such a negative response? Is it not a good thing to think about winning the league at the start of a new season when all teams start with exactly the same amount of points and exactly the same amount of matches played? At present, we have as much opportunity to win the league as both Manchester City and Watford. Why write off our title chances before a ball has even been kicked?

And, yes, it can be done (as Leicester proved in 2016). All it takes is a bit of resillience and it's by no means uncommon for teams to surprise a lot of people after losing key players. Liverpool responded to losing Michael Owen by winning the Champions' League in 2005. In the same season, Everton responded to losing Wayne Rooney by getting into the top 4. Alex Ferguson's Manchester United always came back stronger after losing key personnel (not always in the season straight after but they usually ended up doing something bigger and better than they did before). We can do the same and we did it when we got into the Champions' League with Defoe and Crouch instead of Keane and Berbatov.

And, yes, we have the squad to do it. Aston Villa won the league in 1981 using only 14 players with 42 league fixtures compared to our 38 and in a far more aggressive playing era when injuries were a lot more likely.

COYS

Have a rich arse Chinese owner come in and give us £500m spending money, buy 7-8 world class players and bung some extra to get a good manager.

That's exactly what I don't want to happen. Ever. I want us to win the league, not buy it.

We ain’t winning the league, we don’t have a clue what we are doing and even if we did we won’t have the resources to compete at least not until we get a lucky season where all the top rich clubs are in rebuild like how Leicester City won it and pounce and that won’t be for a while, Pep, Tuchel, Klopp etc are in full swing right now.

First thing is forget about replacing Kane. He’s probably irreplaceable and we definitely couldn’t afford his replacement nor would they want to come.

muse the Kane money to do two things.
1. Replace defence. Bar Toby I’m not convinced any are good enough.
2. Replace Kane’s goals. Even if it’s spread amongst 2/3 players. I’d do it by keeping Vinicius - that lad has goals in him and looking at someone who could chip in with another 7/10.

Book the open top bus.

Back
Top Bottom