How important is the EL compared to the PL?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Winning PL = 100 joy points, winning EL = ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"But why does it go up to 110......?"

"Because.......like....... 110 is better than 100 isn't it........"

I know what I'm going to watch when I get home tonight now!!!
If you've got the DVD watch it with the commentary on. It's fucking hilarious.

I recently read a post that reminds us all to treasure our relationships with people, as we have fewer interactions with them left than we might think. So I’m going to resist the urge to call you a fucking bellend and instead gently point out that the premise of the question is that a PL title is worth 100 joy points, so then I’d like to know how much is a EL title worth to you. For someone who thinks a EL title is worth more than a PL title, the answer would be “More than 100” so I included it as a valid option.

What’s not a reasonable response is “winning anything would be more than 100.” I’ve already said the PL is worth exactly 100, so that statement makes no sense.

Your options here are:

1) A EL trophy would bring you less joy than a PL trophy, in which case select the appropriate choice below 100 depending on how much less it’s worth.

2) A EL trophy is worth more than a PL trophy, in which case select more than 100.

3) They’re worth the same (ie exactly 100) in which case select 91-100.

I hope this clears things up for you and you have a wonderful day.
LOL - I still voted for More Than 100 ...............

Disagree, Joe. Supporters of other clubs may claim they don't give a toss, but in reality?
Fair enough John, but I was simply trying to quantify what the difference is to me. EL, yes, great, but the League? Anyway, let’s win something before we all go overboard. It’s been far too long.

Disagree, Joe. Supporters of other clubs may claim they don't give a toss, but in reality?
God help me, I’m with Joe. I think it would be a 10 for me. Winning the EL would be very good. I’d enjoy the heck out of it. But comparing it to a PL trophy? Totally different ballpark for me.

I also agree with him that nobody really cares who won the EL except the team that won it. Does anybody care that Man U and Chelsea are recent winners? Can you even name off the top of your head who won in 2018? I had to look it up.

The PL and the EL are 2 of the major competitions we're in. When people suggest different lineups for each, I sometimes wonder how they compare the value of each competition. So if winning the PL gave you 100 points of joy, how many points of joy would winning the EL give you?
The simple answer is winning the league would be the ultimate.. Unbridled joy would ensue.

In the event that we don't win it, cups will still make me very happy.

Beggars can't be choosers.

God help me, I’m with Joe. I think it would be a 10 for me. Winning the EL would be very good. I’d enjoy the heck out of it. But comparing it to a PL trophy? Totally different ballpark for me.

I also agree with him that nobody really cares who won the EL except the team that won it. Does anybody care that Man U and Chelsea are recent winners? Can you even name off the top of your head who won in 2018? I had to look it up.
Disagree there.

People watching more football beside games from the team they support would care and know.

Atletico won 2018 after shattering Woolwich EL dream with classic hit and run performances. Atletico was a man down for most of the first leg, Simeone even got sent off. Woolwich bottled the lead in first leg with shamble or defending work. Even without Simeone on the bench, Atletico just eliminated Woolwich. AFTV was so butthurt about this tie. Peak AFTV meltdown.

Edit: Just an example of how some event can leave a memory if you pay just a little attention.

Last edited:
PL > EL > FA Cup > EFL Cup

Winning PL/FA Cup -> chance to win the Community Shield
Winning EL -> chance to win the European Super Cup

PL is the big one this season, but I’d love to see us win the EL - this year in particular from a selfish point of view, as the Super Cup in being played in Belfast next year!

Its not as valuable as the league title but it does matter. Free CL qualification aside (i expect to finish top 4 anyway) we need to start winning things. And its a better comp that it was before. Affects our European coefficient too which matters for CL seeding going forward. It’s worth more than the two english cups by quite a way.

Jose is changing the whole mentality of this club. Imo we should be thinking the same as him and that is that we want to and can win every competition we are in. Look at how many league cups he's won. It's the bar setter win that get the feeling then go to win more. They all have equal importance right now for me because we are trying to win them all and I want to win them all.

Jose is changing the whole mentality of this club. Imo we should be thinking the same as him and that is that we want to and can win every competition we are in. Look at how many league cups he's won. It's the bar setter win that get the feeling then go to win more. They all have equal importance right now for me because we are trying to win them all and I want to win them all.
Exactly.

We cannot afford to scoff at some trophies or pick and chose what we want to win. We want to win every single competition that we are in. That's how winning clubs operate.

Back
Top Bottom