How important is the EL compared to the PL?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Winning PL = 100 joy points, winning EL = ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Think the question is not really relevant as we can't choose whether we want to win PL or EL.

We can biase that answer (as we do) by playing our best team in PL and a slightly less good team in EL so we probably have less chance of winning that than PL........although in knock out stages we may try to play stronger teams in EL.

But frankly I'd like to win either (or both but may seem greedy) just to show we can ! And winning EL also gives entry to CL which can't be bad.

But to look at in importance - PL > CL > EL >> FA Cup > League Cup.

So whilst winning EL might only give me 75% of pleasure that winning PL might, right now I'm glad we are fighting on all 4 fronts to win something this season, as winning is a good thing to get into the blood stream. And I'm sure the players and club (let alone fans) will have enjoyed being top of the PL these last 3 weeks as well as being through to group stages of EL (one match early) and through to quarter finals of League Cup.

Think the question is not really relevant as we can't choose whether we want to win PL or EL.

We can biase that answer (as we do) by playing our best team in PL and a slightly less good team in EL so we probably have less chance of winning that than PL........although in knock out stages we may try to play stronger teams in EL.

But frankly I'd like to win either (or both but may seem greedy) just to show we can ! And winning EL also gives entry to CL which can't be bad.

But to look at in importance - PL > CL > EL >> FA Cup > League Cup.

So whilst winning EL might only give me 75% of pleasure that winning PL might, right now I'm glad we are fighting on all 4 fronts to win something this season, as winning is a good thing to get into the blood stream. And I'm sure the players and club (let alone fans) will have enjoyed being top of the PL these last 3 weeks as well as being through to group stages of EL (one match early) and through to quarter finals of League Cup.
I’m glad we’re fighting on all fronts too. Well maybe less so the League Cup but still.

But having a deep team is a big reason why I’m glad we’re fighting on all fronts. We have enough decent players to do it effectively without wearing down the first team.

Your point about playing a worse team in EL games is what made me think of this poll question. Some people will want us to play a strong lineup against Antwerp to try and win the group. I, on the other hand, feel like playing the second team is the only way to go, given we’ve already qualified and have a PL game Sunday. I feel like this thread has been good to help people understand other people’s perspective for why they support different lineups.

There’s no right or wrong answer. It’s just personal preference ya know?

I don't think it's AS important.

But it's still important.

The Premier League would mean we are the best in the country. Achieve something we haven't done in 50 years and really show everyone who we are. It'd change everything. There's no more "Spursy", there is no more "Lol look at your trophy cabinet", there's no more "Kane needs to win something" etc etc. etc.

Sure, winning the EL would mean we've won something and so had Kane - but it's still the second rate European competition. That Sevilla are the masters of. A competition that even Woolwich can get to a final of in recent years etc

PL
CL
EL
FA Cup
LC

For me.

It will be interesting to see how Jose adapts to the knockout stages.

The big question will be Kane's involvement, and to a lesser extent Son. Will they both now play all EL games because it's the knockout stages and there are no second chances?

Wholesale changes will go out the window with the quality of opposition increasing but I can imagine something like the following two teams:

Europa League:

Lloris
Doherty Rodon Dier Davies
Winks PEH
Lo Celso
Bale Kane Son
Prem:

Lloris
Aurier Toby Dier Reguilon
PEH Sissoko
Ndombele
Bergjwin Kane Son

As you can see the core of the team will have to play a lot of minutes:
Lloris, Dier, PEH, Kane and Son

I think outside of this group we can rotate without too much drop off in terms of quality (maybe with the exception of Davies).

I just struggle to see Jose being willing to start any important game without most or all of those 5 starting, injuries aside.

If we keep Lloris, Kane and PEH fit all season we can do big things. We have more options to replace Dier and Son.

I think Vinicius means we can still be an effective team without Kane but the drop off in quality is huge.

I thought I was being a bit generous saying I would find winning the EL about half as enjoyable as the League.

Apparently not.

Not sure if I put the league on a much higher standing than most. Or winning a trophy - any trophy - is just a bigger thing for a lot of people.

I can’t even remember the last time I watched the EL trophy final. Well never. It would have been the UEFA cup when I did. Couldn’t even say when it started tbh.

4pp4n6.jpg

I’m glad we’re fighting on all fronts too. Well maybe less so the League Cup but still.

But having a deep team is a big reason why I’m glad we’re fighting on all fronts. We have enough decent players to do it effectively without wearing down the first team.

Your point about playing a worse team in EL games is what made me think of this poll question. Some people will want us to play a strong lineup against Antwerp to try and win the group. I, on the other hand, feel like playing the second team is the only way to go, given we’ve already qualified and have a PL game Sunday. I feel like this thread has been good to help people understand other people’s perspective for why they support different lineups.

There’s no right or wrong answer. It’s just personal preference ya know?

Fuck that.... Go hard. It's part of the treble I got my eye on (TBH, it's more viable than taking a punt at the FA Cup).

I'd be interested to see what league fixtures follow our projected cup ties next year.

The big question will be Kane's involvement, and to a lesser extent Son. Will they both now play all EL games because it's the knockout stages and there are no second chances?

Wholesale changes will go out the window with the quality of opposition increasing but I can imagine something like the following two teams:

Europa League:

Lloris
Winks PEH
Lo Celso
Bale Kane Son
Prem:

Lloris
PEH Sissoko
Ndombele
Bergjwin Kane Son

I think outside of this group we can rotate without too much drop off in terms of quality (maybe with the exception of Davies).

I just struggle to see Jose being willing to start any important game without most or all of those 5 starting, injuries aside.

If we keep Lloris, Kane and PEH fit all season we can do big things. We have more options to replace Dier and Son.

I think Vinicius means we can still be an effective team without Kane but the drop off in quality is huge.
As someone who gave the EL a 10, I hope you’re wrong. But I suspect you’re right.

Fuck that.... Go hard. It's part of the treble I got my eye on (TBH, it's more viable than taking a punt at the FA Cup).

I'd be interested to see what league fixtures follow our projected cup ties next year.
If I’m being perfectly honest, I don’t care much less about the League Cup than the FA Cup (I didn’t grow up watching football so the heritage/nostalgia arguments don’t play with me) so yeah, I’d probably rather be in the quarters of the League Cup than the 3rd round of the FA.

I’m just a PL and CL man. With EL way, way below that and the FA Cup and LC even further down.

Europa League:

Lloris
Winks PEH
Lo Celso
Bale Kane Son
Prem:

Lloris
PEH Sissoko
Ndombele
Bergjwin Kane Son

There is no chance that Lloris, Dier, PEH, Kane and Son will be able to play in every PL and EL game - they will all need to be rotated in and out of games, and last couple of years shows why with Kane being out for 2 solid months through being played in too many games.

Rotation of all players when we ae playing 'weekend - mid week - weekend' for months on end (with season starting 6 weeks later than usual and still same end date, the same number of fixtures are far more congested than previous seasons) is a necessity which we need to get used to doing. And Jose has been showing how much he understands the need for rotation so far this season by his team selection

If I’m being perfectly honest, I don’t care much less about the League Cup than the FA Cup (I didn’t grow up watching football so the heritage/nostalgia arguments don’t play with me) so yeah, I’d probably rather be in the quarters of the League Cup than the 3rd round of the FA.

I’m just a PL and CL man. With EL way, way below that and the FA Cup and LC even further down.

Obvious prestige levels aside, if we win a LC or FAC, trust me, you'll feel it. :)

Last edited:
Winning the EL brings the club to pot 1 and the trophy itself is a respected one.

On the other hand, not winning it makes it not worthy financially, the ratings won't grow much up even with a deep run (semi - finals for example), and the team is tired of playing too many games. It's a double - edged sword really.

CL is much harder to win and puts you in the pantheon of greats.

We're already are then. :)

- You can't fluke the EPL.
- Don't necessarily have to be a great team to win the CL.... See Chavs 2012.... Similarly, were we honestly a great team last year?
- Bragging rights are so much more... Ask Liverpool last year.
- I think it'd do so much more for the growth of the club in practical terms.

...Personal preference ultimately, but that's my reasoning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom