How many players do we need to be competitive again?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

RB \ CB - Foyth will fill in what left (Maybe Atal or koulibaly if napoli wants to get rid )
Dm - most important IMO (?)
Attacking player that can cover Kane or wing ( Maybe Everton ?)

So 3 and we will have a youngish and very talented team

Defensive midfielder and two FBs and we are a quality side again imho, CB situation is pretty grim too but we have decent to average cover there atm.
Moving forward with possibly/hopefully a new manager and a lot of outgoing players
Keeper
2 FBs
CB
DM
Striker

Well when we brought in 7 players it did not work. Our problems are in Defence including DM. That must be dealt with first rather than pursuing Dybella or other targets up front.

Sadly it's not just identifying the gaps in the squad but finding the right players to fill them. Personally I no longer think Poch is the man to do that or be able to attract the calibre of player we need. I just cannot see him being able to 'sell' his second rebuild and dream for the future.
We need a new manager for the January window who can say to any would be signing "These are exciting times for Spurs. I am building a side to match this new stadium and I'd like you to be part of it."
We also need someone capable of disposing of the unwanted players in a cold and clinical fashion without sentiment or favour. Only a new guy in charge, in my humble opinion of course,could effectively carry that out.
He would also need the full financial backing and support from Levy and there's the potential spanner in the works. If Daniel doesn't wish to spend then Poch stays and we will try and muddle through. Working on a shoestring budget and trying to make ends meet with an ever ageing nucleus of players.
Tough situations call for tough decisions. The ball is firmly in Daniel's court.

Sadly it's not just identifying the gaps in the squad but finding the right players to fill them. Personally I no longer think Poch is the man to do that or be able to attract the calibre of player we need. I just cannot see him being able to 'sell' his second rebuild and dream for the future.
We need a new manager for the January window who can say to any would be signing "These are exciting times for Spurs. I am building a side to match this new stadium and I'd like you to be part of it."
We also need someone capable of disposing of the unwanted players in a cold and clinical fashion without sentiment or favour. Only a new guy in charge, in my humble opinion of course,could effectively carry that out.
He would also need the full financial backing and support from Levy and there's the potential spanner in the works. If Daniel doesn't wish to spend then Poch stays and we will try and muddle through. Working on a shoestring budget and trying to make ends meet with an ever ageing nucleus of players.
Tough situations call for tough decisions. The ball is firmly in Daniel's court.

Odd assumption.

Yet he is monitered by all of Bayern Munich, PSG, Real Madrid and Man Utd.

Odd assumption.

Yet he is monitered by all of Bayern Munich, PSG, Real Madrid and Man Utd.

The fact that Poch might not be suitable for us anymore doesn't mean other clubs might think he's not a good candidate for them.

Just like Chelsea sacked AVB and we took a punt with him, so can other clubs think Poch might be worth the gamble.

The fact that Poch might not be suitable for us anymore doesn't mean other clubs might think he's not a good candidate for them.

Just like Chelsea sacked AVB and we took a punt with him, so can other clubs think Poch might be worth the gamble.

When it comes to them being socalled bigger, better clubs that's a rather different argument.

Notably though the original comment responded to was also about his ability to attract players; not whether he was the perfect manager for us any longer.

Surely the point went amiss there; so let me try again?

Who would be better off;

Man Utd with present player stock AND Poch?

Spurs with present player stock WITHOUT Poch?

I cannot believe how many Spurs supporters deluding themselves, that if Poch leaves all the rebels will suddenly start performing again and sign new contracts. It is really hillarious.

Surely the point went amiss there; so let me try again?

Who would be better off;

Man Utd with present player stock AND Poch?

Spurs with present player stock WITHOUT Poch?

I cannot believe how many Spurs supporters deluding themselves, that if Poch leaves all the rebels will suddenly start performing again and sign new contracts. It is really hillarious.

I don't see the correlation between my answer and your conclusion. Among those in their final contract year, I might only want to keep Toby... the rest can fuck off. I don't put them not performing on Poch. Key positions in the squad need to be addressed regardless who's coach.

On the other hand, I see the team as a whole performing better if Poch leaves, so yes, we could do better with our current players without him. If used correctly, Kane alone can help us grind out some wins.

I also have my doubts whether Poch could improve Manure with their current players at the moment. It's not like they have too many world beaters there and he'll probably ask for transfers there too.

Yes, I think a managerial change would do us good. And yes, I am deluded that after almost 6 years of winning nothing and almost an entire year of shit football I'm thinking we might need to look at a different manager. I can assure you I also believe that if we don't pick the right manager, we might find ourselves in a much better situation than we are now, but in the same time I feel the need for a change.

And I got the point right from the start: you like Poch and think others are responsible for where we are. I just tried to explain in a sensible manner that sometimes a manager (regardless of his quality) needs to move on so he can get back in the groove. In this case, I think Poch leaving would do both parties a lot of good.

Back
Top Bottom