How much merchandise do you buy in a year

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Aside from the cunt-off you have stumbled into....

I would be interested in the distinction you make between "fans" & "supporters".... Your articulation suggests that to you "fandom" is more commited than "support".

To me, "support" vs "fandom" transcends the 'local vs long-distance' debate and the idea of true support has a depth which far outweighs the concept of mere fandom (for instance I'd associate fandom with a less committed affinity that I might elsewhere associate with a pop band or TV show) .

Keen to hear your thoughts when the heat dies down.....
Well put.

I wonder how long we’d survive if our mums and dads were simply fans of ours, instead of supporters.

Probably spend around £200-£300 per year.

Saw one of my nephews today who's 4 or 5. A few years back I got him a soft Spurs ball even though his Dad (my brother) is a Middlesbrough fan.
He turned up with this ball at our Dads earlier telling me I got him it when he was a baby.

When I asked who's the team, he said "Tottenham". When I asked are they good, he said "the best!"

He could live to see Spurs play in the year 2100. I sincerely hope he gets to see more than the 2 League Cups & 1 FA Cup I have seen.

"My god, What have I done ?"
1*zf-dp3dar_OysmsU1pi0Qw.jpeg

Never actually said anyone was better than anybody else, but foreign followers are definitely different. They’re not fans, they’re supporters. They don’t live and breath the club in the same way as domestic fans do, they don’t have the same emotional connection. Watching it on TV just isn’t the same. Foreign supporters are mostly new supporters who’ve jumped on the wagon in the last 20 years and don’t understand the history of the club, the ethos and the rivalries. Heck half of them don’t even understand the game or know the rules, but Levy doesn’t care about that as long as they’re throwing money at the club.
I’ve only supported the club for 30 years and make it to only 6-8 games a season because ticket prices are too high so there are far better fans than me. Many pay thousands for a season ticket and have done for more years than I’ve been alive. Heck half of the foreign supporters don’t even know the rules or understand the game so like it or not its just never going to be the same.

Its no different to me and NFL. I’d never call myself a fan because I’m thousands of miles away and not surrounded by it 24/7. I don’t go to games, the players antics aren’t in the press all the time, I don’t go to pubs or bars covered in merchandise, do tailgates, etc. I cant live and breath the sport like I do football and Spurs because I’m so far away. It’s just not the same so it would be insulting to true American fans for me to call myself a fan. I’m just a supporter and there’s no shame in that, but it makes me part of the problem not the solution.

Oh and you can go fuck yourself too you foreign fucking prick. No need to start swearing at people because you disagree with them you inbred cretin.

Regardless of if anyone here will agree or disagree with the sentiment,

"Fan" and "Supporter" is completely the wrong way around in the whole of this post.

:pochsulk:

Probably spend around £200-£300 per year.

Saw one of my nephews today who's 4 or 5. A few years back I got him a soft Spurs ball even though his Dad (my brother) is a Middlesbrough fan.
He turned up with this ball at our Dads earlier telling me I got him it when he was a baby.

When I asked who's the team, he said "Tottenham". When I asked are they good, he said "the best!"

He could live to see Spurs play in the year 2100. I sincerely hope he gets to see more than the 2 League Cups & 1 FA Cup I have seen.

"My god, What have I done ?"
1*zf-dp3dar_OysmsU1pi0Qw.jpeg
That’s quite a sweet post! Reminds me of the guilt I feel as my more recent extended family turn up in Spurs clothing.

whid1.gif

Time to start a trading post ? Sell your unwanted to those who want. I have a 97 Vega shirt, a 2013 Fazio and a 2020 Sanchez shirt. All new with tags. Anyone ???

Time to start a trading post ? Sell your unwanted to those who want. I have a 97 Vega shirt, a 2013 Fazio and a 2020 Sanchez shirt. All new with tags. Anyone ???

Sold all but four of my replica shirts (mostly unworn) to a local fella. Let him have them for a steal really.

Kept the 81 home, 78 away, the 125 and one the kids got me for my 60th.

Gave away all the biographies except the Stevie P one but kept the more general books like, the Spurs Shirt, Destination Tottenham, Glory Glory nights etc etc.

Got about 40 DVDs that I will probably give away/sell dirt cheap at some time.

Got a few signed programmes from the Div 2 season which I wouldn't sell but quite a few that will I get rid of when I get around to it.

Maybe £69 every 2 years? I mean thats the last times i have bought a home and away kit within 2 years, But other then that i hardly buy any tottenham merchandise.

Just found the receipt by chance for my last shirt: 2014 (well, I have a CL away shirt from 2017-18). No wonder it’s no longer white and smells a bit sweaty: can’t afford a new one, tho (or fit into it due to their insistence on making them ‘athletic’ fit).

Depends on how good the kit and training kit is in any given year. I'd say I had my head turned more by Under Armour than the recent Nike stuff.

Last season was probably my 'lowest' amount. Got an elite home shirt with Bale on the back because... well. None of the training gear was very good, and zero trips to the ground made getting anything else that much less likely.

Usually around a £100 or so on shirts. Its sporadic, generally linked to how much alcohol I consume when we're playing well and I'm excited about Spurs. To that end, I've spent precisely £0.00 in 2021. I spent some on masks and a couple shirts in 2020, but since Jose was hired my desire to drop coin on the badge significantly decreased.

I don't get the impetus to stop buying merch really. I don't know that it does much to help get rid of Levy. Surely ENIC won't sell an artificially devalued asset, nor does failing profitability help market us to potential buyers?

Maybe next time we set a club record fee buying a quality player we should all rush out and buy a shirt with their name/number. Motivate Levy by profit to buy good fucking players.

:freund:

Back
Top Bottom