How you felt when our managers were sacked

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I actually thought he wasn’t doing a bad job. From memory he came in and worked on tightening the defence and it seemed to be working.

That’s the cue for someone to post a series of thrashings during his few matches.
I think you're safe.

I just remember being :mourcheeks: when he was announced

Then being :moursad: watching what seemed alot of games with only 1 goal scored in 90 mins

and then :adesalute:

Francis - Can't really remember.

Gross - Same.

Graham - Excited at the prospect of Hoddle.

Hoddle - Relieved.

Santini - Perplexed.

Jol - Disappointed but a little relieved.

Ramos - Happy

Redknapp - Delighted, purely for non footballing reasons though. Didn't like his attitude, gave off the impression that there was no point in trying to be better than we were at the time, would have been a self fulfilling prophecy. Also felt like karma for whoring himself about for the England job.

AVB - Sad as he talked a decent game buy couldn't back it up, relieved as the hammerings were becoming too frequent.

Sherwood - Delighted, fucking relieved as thought Levy might have fallen for his spiel. Funnily enough despite no fucking clue about tictacs, he did actually manage to have us beating all the 'inferior' sides, even if we had less than zero chance of getting a point against the big 4. Also stuck to his words and did play the youth. Sigurdsson and Chadli in cm though, how fucking bonkers do you have to be to try that???

Poch - Little sad, little disappointed, really angry. Angry at Poch, for letting such a good side that we had slip to what we are now, for talking such a good game and banging on about bravery, then doing absolutely fuck all to back up those words, for not winning anything with the best team I've seen us have, for making half of our fans seemingly Poch fans as opposed to Spurs fans...

We have a weird history in my time, any time we think we've found the one, they move us up a level, but then can't seem to handle it there themselves, it always turns sour in the end.
Not one mention of Santini. Callous bastards all of you.
:kanehand:

Didn’t he flirt with Chelsea? I thought that was what fucked Levy off?

I might have made that up though.

That's the first I've heard of it. It sounds very unlikely.

If it did happen (which I seriously doubt) it would have been after the bearded cunt got the sack.

But Chelsea's season was immediately transformed by that sacking so they wouldn't have been looking to make a change.

ENIC years...

GG - right decision but wrong timing just before the Arse semi.

Hoddle - I do rate him as a manager and obvs. a proper legend so it was sad.

Santini - meh he was shit.

Jol - felt really bad. The manner was disgraceful and he made us both fun to watch and good again too

Ramos - meh he was shit.

Redknapp - he needed a bit of space and time to recover from his court case, but he never deserved the sack: our football under him was sublime at times. Terrible decision.

AVB - sad but damn relieved... until we saw the replacement.

Sherwood - fucking relieved.

Poch - devastated.

Pre-ENIC, as a youngster, I found the Venables departure shocking... and Gerry F’s demise was tragic and depressing to be around.

AVB's appointment was ridiculous.
I absolutely HATED him.
The way Chelsea's season took off the moment they sacked did not seem to register with Levy.

But, hey, apparently AVB brought a very snazzy PowerPoint presentation to his interview and that's what really matters...

I think the media and AVB himself tried to make out he failed at Chelsea because he was brought in to get rid of the old guard but then wasn't given the tools to do it. The likes of JT, FL etc rebelled, blah blah.
Levy fell for it.

Not one mention of Santini. Callous bastards all of you.

Didnt Jaques walk?

I think the media and AVB himself tried to make out he failed at Chelsea because he was brought in to get rid of the old guard but then wasn't given the tools to do it. The likes of JT, FL etc rebelled, blah blah.
Levy fell for it.

Didnt Jaques walk?
Yes, he did. Something about signing his own death warrant when he fell out with Arnesen.

ENIC years...

GG - right decision but wrong timing just before the Arse semi.

Hoddle - I do rate him as a manager and obvs. a proper legend so it was sad.

Santini - meh he was shit.

Jol - felt really bad. The manner was disgraceful and he made us both fun to watch and good again too

Ramos - meh he was shit.

Redknapp - he needed a bit of space and time to recover from his court case, but he never deserved the sack: our football under him was sublime at times. Terrible decision.

AVB - sad but damn relieved... until we saw the replacement.

Sherwood - fucking relieved.

Poch - devastated.

Pre-ENIC, as a youngster, I found the Venables departure shocking... and Gerry F’s demise was tragic and depressing to be around.

All those managers went on to do very little after receiving the sack from Levy. Hard luck Poch:pochwtf:

'87 - 2004 since Shreeves and Venables was a morass of mediocrity. Except Ossie. Let's move on.

Briefly Pleat and Hoddle and BMJ was like the bit in the Matrix III when they go above the clouds for the first time ever but I'm pretty sure we were as functional as we were attractive. But I did like Big Martin though. Genuinely upset when he left.

Champagne Harry and eventually Poch.

Time has faded the rest away into not much - no harm, adieu and fare thee well - apart from that fucker AVB.

'87 - 2004 since Shreeves and Venables was a morass of mediocrity. Except Ossie. Let's move on.

Briefly Pleat and Hoddle and BMJ was like the bit in the Matrix III when they go above the clouds for the first time ever but I'm pretty sure we were as functional as we were attractive. But I did like Big Martin though. Genuinely upset when he left.

Champagne Harry and eventually Poch.

Time has faded the rest away into not much - no harm, adieu and fare thee well - apart from that fucker AVB.

I thought AVB was an interesting character. Certainly more interesting than his style of football.

Just a random kid that lived in the same block as Bobby Robson, who pestered him into giving him a job in his coaching team without any experience in professional football. He was obsessive when it came to studying players from around the world, and had a big list of connections.

He just didn’t live in the real world. One of the funniest rumours was that he’d made an arrangement with Hulk to sign him for £40m...and then told Levy.

:avbpray:

:levywhoa:

:avbmad:

I thought AVB was an interesting character. Certainly more interesting than his style of football.

Just a random kid that lived in the same block as Bobby Robson, who pestered him into giving him a job in his coaching team without any experience in professional football. He was obsessive when it came to studying players from around the world, and had a big list of connections.

He just didn’t live in the real world. One of the funniest rumours was that he’d made an arrangement with Hulk to sign him for £40m...and then told Levy.

:avbpray:

:levywhoa:

:avbmad:
I agree - I remember being kinda excited when he was appointed but it was like one of those Xmas crackers that you wrestle over for ages and then when it breaks, there's not even a pop.

Comolli actually made a decent career out of the same snake oil. He was just smart enough not to try to be a manager.

I walked out of that Getafe game with my nephew assuring him that Jol wasn't getting sacked and that fans were just showing him support, I couldn't believe we'd done that. That's the only time I thought it was wrong, and even then it was more that I liked the guy.

I walked out of that Getafe game with my nephew assuring him that Jol wasn't getting sacked and that fans were just showing him support, I couldn't believe we'd done that. That's the only time I thought it was wrong, and even then it was more that I liked the guy.
You wouldn't want to get between him and his private disco that night would you?

Jol - Sad, was the first manager that made me start believing in my years supporting Spurs.

Ramos - Delighted. Those first 8 games of 08/09 without a doubt the darkest days of my time supporting Spurs. Guy was woefully out of his depth.

‘Arry - Happy. Never really liked the guy. Fucked us over then whoring himself out for the Engerland job.

AVB - Quite disappointed actually and thought he was harshly treated. He lost the best player in the league, was then basically given a whole new squad of players, many of whom he didn’t want, and his said new squad was then decimated by injury, and he was then blamed when it all went tits up.

Tactics Tim - Dancing in the streets.

Pochettino - Devasted. Gutted. I think it probably had to happen because Pochettino had lost all motivation and was ground down by the five years of working with his hands tied with expectations only getting higher and higher.

Great thread and very interesting to read the replies.
At the time I agreed with every single manager sacking except Sherwood.
He introduced Harry Kane which I thought was a great idea.
But replacing him with Poch was the best move Levy ever made.
But sad to say I was not unhappy when Poch got the elbow.

Has anybody mentioned G.G ? I can' t even bear to say his name on our forum .
In the forty years of following Spurs it's the only time they really tested my patience , And In all honesty made me feel slightly ashamed to be a fan .
I understand the club and results will always come first and you do what you have to do to win , But him as our manager pained me then and still pains me now .
As far as I'm concerned it never happened , I preferred Santini , Gross or even Ramos to him . That's how much I hated it .

Last edited:
Has anybody mentioned G.G ? I can' t even bear to say his name on our forum .
In the forty years of following Spurs it's the only time they really tested my patience , And In all honesty made me feel slightly ashamed to be a fan .
I understand the club and results will always come first and you do what you have to do to win , But him as our manager pained me then and still pains me now .
As far as I'm concerned it never happened , I preferred Santini , Gross or even Ramos to him . That's how much I hated it .

In my OP I just picked managers from recent years because there’s a wider number of posters that can have an opinion on them. Personally the first Spurs manager I was aware of was Venables, so I experienced the Francis, Ardiles, Graham, Hoddle, and Gross years too.

Graham was such a low point, especially considering everything with Judas around that time.

Everyone talks about the 90s being a bleak era for Spurs, but I actually remember them fondly for the most part. The worst period was late 90s and early 00s, and even then we managed to win a trophy.

Controversial opinion, but I felt worse when Jol got sacked compared with when Poch did.

:levyeyes:

Pochettino was dead to me when he started talking about leaving the club immediately before the CL final.

Jol loved and still loves Spurs.

Pochettino was obviously the better manager, but Jol was so likeable. Even though he had no hair.

I’ll only go back to Graham...

Graham - Annoyed. Timing and reason for the dismissal were odd. All sense back then was to give him to end of that season, especially with FA Cup semi coming up. Given his own personal struggles in that period we could have been more aware....

Hoddle - Relieved, Although I was always aware he was never backed correctly with the players he wanted after the first season, it was a horrible mess.

Jol - Accepting. It was at the end of a cycle. The sacking was coming and seemed fair enough, but was badly handled and I was angry about how it was done, lacked class.

Ramos - Annoyed. Simply not backed correctly. Laughable that they sold Keane and Berbatov and we had Campbell in on loan as compensation. All on ENIC this one. Disgusts me all these years later.

Redknapp - Sad. everyone should have been more grown up. Seemed like a falling out which was only of personal worth to Levy, felt he was overall a good manager and worried we would struggle with whomever came next and low and behold.....

AVB - relieved again. However, he was clearly not correctly backed by ENIC and team style was affected by his inability to get a style into play that suited what players he had. A bit of a situation that should never have really happened. He was dead in the water as soon as the Mortinho transfer never happened.

Dim Tim - a despicable situation. Not a popular man, but had the right intentions and wanted the best for the club. A shame really as I think he knew more about the club and youth set up than anyone whom has followed and he got that AVB team to at least improve, no easy task. I hated seeing him on TV being told he was being replaced before he seemed to know it himself. Again, as with Jol, it lacked class.

Poch - still just feel it’s a bloody shame. Car crash final year, saved by the CL final. Feel he was not backed with the players he wanted for a long time, results left him. Squad became a mess. ENIC have questions to answer here too, carried the can to cover up ineptitude everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom