Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So if i was standing in goal and the opponent misses that makes me a top class keeper cause it counts as a "save"

Gives you the credit for the 'save' that's just the way the statistics are compiled, it says nothing about your ability ... if the ball goes in then it's not saved ... if it doesn't then it's saved ...

FYI - Peter Schmeichel faced 14 EPL penalties and never saved one ... are you saying he was rubbish?

Gives you the credit for the 'save' that's just the way the statistics are compiled, it says nothing about your ability ... if the ball goes in then it's not saved ... if it doesn't then it's saved ...

FYI - Peter Schmeichel faced 14 EPL penalties and never saved one ... are you saying he was rubbish?
You can never call that statistics it's called a penalty miss stop deluding yourself. I don't give a crap about other keepers i only care about our players

It's a close one, but I'd say counting misses as saves is closer to a true value.

There's some keepers, where you just know that a good pen taker will be able to read which way the keeper's going and roll it the other way. And some where they're always jumping enough that slamming it down dead center will be enough, without needing to put enough on it to risk skying it.

There's enough footage on any PL keeper that all pen takers will know if they need to take it with a bit more power and precision against some keepers more than others.

I'd venture that Hugo's agility and reputation earns him some of those misses.

As a former 'keeper, it really pisses me off when commentators say that a penalty is "missed" when a 'keeper saves it.
Happened again on Sunday "Vardy misses penalty"
:dembelefingers:

As to whether a missed penalty can be counted as a save, IMV no, It doesn't go down as a save.
The very definition of a save precludes that.

It's a close one, but I'd say counting misses as saves is closer to a true value.

There's some keepers, where you just know that a good pen taker will be able to read which way the keeper's going and roll it the other way. And some where they're always jumping enough that slamming it down dead center will be enough, without needing to put enough on it to risk skying it.

There's enough footage on any PL keeper that all pen takers will know if they need to take it with a bit more power and precision against some keepers more than others.

I'd venture that Hugo's agility and reputation earns him some of those misses.

1 word: Grobelaar.

Fuck it, I’ve tried so hard no to slag him off when he’s had his blunders in the past, but tonight I’ve cracked. I’m not a fan of digging our own players out and I support any that out the shirt on - but there are too many big mistakes. Woeful is an understatement.

What harm is putting Gazzaniga in on Saturday going to do? He’s been steady when starting this season and I think he deserves a crack.

Sick of saying it. If Poch wants a goalkeeper who is great with the ball at his feet, then he has to sign one.

But once again Hugo's indecision cost us a goal tonight

He's the best we have and any keeper in the world will get done between the legs. I'm not saying we need to replace him but there are some big issues with Hugo.

First issue I have is (said this before in this thread) he shouldn't be our captain. Not just the fact he's so quiet but I don't think a keeper can be an effective captain. He needs to be bellowing at the back 4 at all times but you never see it. A captain should be to communicate to all players at all times. Defender or midfielder for me. Definitely should be communicating with Trippier on the own goal tonight. For me he is as much at fault as Tripps. Calling for it or telling him to just clear it.

Kicking is poor. Nearly gifted them a goal. If they took that chance this thread would be going ballistic right now.

I used to be a keeper myself so have some knowledge on this. When ever a player is close in on his goal he won't leave his line. He should be coming out making himself big ala Schmeichel Snr.

He is still a decent keeper and with other positions needing strengthening he'll be around for a while yet.

He's the best we have and any keeper in the world will get done between the legs. I'm not saying we need to replace him but there are some big issues with Hugo.

First issue I have is (said this before in this thread) he shouldn't be our captain. Not just the fact he's so quiet but I don't think a keeper can be an effective captain. He needs to be bellowing at the back 4 at all times but you never see it. A captain should be to communicate to all players at all times. Defender or midfielder for me. Definitely should be communicating with Trippier on the own goal tonight. For me he is as much at fault as Tripps. Calling for it or telling him to just clear it.

Kicking is poor. Nearly gifted them a goal. If they took that chance this thread would be going ballistic right now.

I used to be a keeper myself so have some knowledge on this. When ever a player is close in on his goal he won't leave his line. He should be coming out making himself big ala Schmichael Snr.

He is still a decent keeper and with other positions needing strengthening he'll be around for a while yet.

Wasn't at fault for the first goal, that was all on Toby. Was at fault for the second goal because of that God awful starting position and indecision when the ball is around 30 yards out.

Can’t see him being dropped as the club captain but I wouldn’t mind seeing Gazza have a few games in the league.

The game has developed and you need to be good with your feet. At least gazzaniga has good feet and he’s proved to be a very good shot stopper. Lloris who’s meant to be a good sweeper keeper... well tonight hasn’t done him any justice.

Always been an athletic keeper he's not aging well IMO he makes less and less world class saves to cover up his gaffs. And he has a worrying habit of fucking up in big games. He's the worst of the current top 5 keepers and we should be looking at upgrading on him.

That said he wasn't the only reason we lose tonight but I'm glad more people are starting to notice it. Been a great player but he doesn't deserve to be our captain and second highest earner IMO

Back
Top Bottom