Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What a fucking inspirational Captain

He said we can’t be expected to challenge for the title right now. Which is true. A team that can lose to Newcastle in the manner that we did is not ready to challenge. Perhaps if the leaders stumble we can get into the race later in the season if the team progresses well.

Delusional talk from our players about challenging for the title preceded both the defeat to Burnley last season that started our implosion and the defeat to Newcastle this season. The team needs to understand just how far away from the standard of Liverpool and City we are and stop talking about the title. We are already 8 points behind the leaders and will have to work incredibly hard on all areas of our game to end up with a smaller gap than last season.

Hugo is absolutely right to say we need to focus on winning games and being consistent, to challenge properly we will need to win 10+ games in a row at least twice in the season. We are a million miles away from doing that at this moment in time. We can talk about the title if by some miracle we are within touching distance in the final furlong. Both Klopp last season and Ranieri in the Leicester season purposefully avoided talking about the title, it can only make you look foolish when you are an outsider and put unnecessary pressure on the team. Just let the results do the talking.

Last edited:
It amazes me how often we seem to put a spoke in the wheel, shoot ourselves in the foot, cooking our own goose and any other saying that means we are very good at fu....messing things up all by ourselves

Mrs P. when I see you nearly swearing then I know you are as enraged as me. :thumbup:. I will defend Spurs and it's players against anybody from another club who tries to mock or ridicule our title chances with my dying breath, but how can I do so with any confidence when the Club Captain seemingly goes to stand with them regarding such doubts. :thumbdown::thumbdown: Not only is it incomprehensible but this early in the season with all to play for it is unforgivable.

Mrs P. when I see you nearly swearing then I know you are as enraged as me. :thumbup:. I will defend Spurs and it's players against anybody from another club who tries to mock or ridicule our title chances with my dying breath, but how can I do so with any confidence when the Club Captain seemingly goes to stand with them regarding such doubts. :thumbdown::thumbdown: Not only is it incomprehensible but this early in the season with all to play for it is unforgivable.
Exactly, I know in my heart that we may actually go backwards this season, but I'll be blowed to admit it aloud. But to have our Captain say it in the media, well he should be ashamed.

He said we can’t be expected to challenge for the title right now. Which is true. A team that can lose to Newcastle in the manner that we did is not ready to challenge. Perhaps if the leaders stumble we can get into the race later in the season if the team progresses well.

Delusional talk from our players about challenging for the title preceded both the defeat to Burnley last season that started our implosion and the defeat to Newcastle this season. The team needs to understand just how far away from the standard of Liverpool and City we are and stop talking about the title. We are already 8 points behind the leaders and will have to work incredibly hard on all areas of our game to end up with a smaller gap than last season.

Hugo is absolutely right to say we need to focus on winning games and being consistent, to challenge properly we will need to win 10+ games in a row at least twice in the season. We are a million miles away from doing that at this moment in time. We can talk about the title if by some miracle we are within touching distance in the final furlong.

I am not arguing whether his comments are correct or not, that is immaterial...what I find utterly deplorable is making such a statement to the press. I cannot describe how fucking mad I am at this latest bit of club news, just as we'd finally closed the transfer window and had a chance to regroup during the break. It is one thing to be aware of your limitations but it is quite another to declare them to the World.
56 years I have supported this club and I have never been so disappointed in a Spurs Captain than I have been with Hugo tonight.

Maybe thinking we can catch City is (to use your term) 'delusional' but we have to try and reach the top otherwise what's the point, being satisfied with third ?. Someone who's shoes I am not fit to wipe put it a lot better than I ever could...

'It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.'
Bill Nicholson

Hugo would do well to remember these words before he opens his mouth to the media again.

We really do seem to have lost the art of reflection haven't we?

It's just too easy to the take the basic translation of a non English speaking person and from there infer what it is we want. The English language is the hardest language to learn simply because of the number of words that we have at our disposal. We are all experts. We're born to it.

Add to the soup the fact that we have a rapacious media industry that (as well as being very well educated in how the same words came means multiple things) are driven to produce advert pinball because of the collapse of their revenue streams.

Are we actually saying that we genuinely think we are in the mix to win the title this year and our captain is pulling the rug from under us. Or. Is he saying what we all actually already know because that's genuinely the way that the French see life.

Exactly, I know in my heart that we may actually go backwards this season, but I'll be blowed to admit it aloud. But to have our Captain say it in the media, well he should be ashamed.
39p878.jpg

What a fucking inspirational Captain
Does anybody actually read the quotes? He basically shuns the question.

At no point does he say “we don’t have what it takes to win the premier league”.

He actually says:

“'The most important thing is we focus on ourselves, to get points, to get consistency in the league and we will see where we are in the table in April, in March.

'That is the moment when you can win or lose European places or trophies. At the moment, we don't want to lose focus with those type of questions”

The only negative thing that he says in the interview is “at the moment there is something missing” which is completely true. He also followed that up with “things change very quickly in football”.

So all he has done is admit that we are not quite at it, and said that this can change quickly.

I don’t see anything wrong there at all.

Does anybody actually read the quotes? He basically shuns the question.

At no point does he say “we don’t have what it takes to win the premier league”.

He actually says:

“'The most important thing is we focus on ourselves, to get points, to get consistency in the league and we will see where we are in the table in April, in March.

'That is the moment when you can win or lose European places or trophies. At the moment, we don't want to lose focus with those type of questions”

The only negative thing that he says in the interview is “at the moment there is something missing” which is completely true. He also followed that up with “things change very quickly in football”.

So all he has done is admit that we are not quite at it, and said that this can change quickly.

I don’t see anything wrong there at all.
You must have missed the "something missing" part.

To say there is something missing when there is something missing is not exactly Danny rose level media fuckery is it?

I honestly see those quotes as a way of taking pressure off us. A lot of the pundits have tried to drag us in to the title race and we all know what happens to our form when we get that sort of pressure.

I have, numerous times and I keep coming to the same conclusion. I am reading a letter that should never have been written or posted....thought perhaps but not disclosed.
So use the original quotes, sentences in full not taken out of context, and tell me which part is actually being negative towards the club.

Back
Top Bottom