Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hugo has been top class since Jose came to the club. He seemed to be going downhill fast for me before his injury and I thought we needed to find a replacement sharpish. I think he looks the best keeper in the league currently (touch wood) and we will seriously miss him when he decides to move on.

Hugo has been top class since Jose came to the club. He seemed to be going downhill fast for me before his injury and I thought we needed to find a replacement sharpish. I think he looks the best keeper in the league currently (touch wood) and we will seriously miss him when he decides to move on.

Considering he used to say his future here was linked to Poch..... It's a strange pattern.... I wonder if things between them became fractious after the pre-CL comments.

Considering he used to say his future here was linked to Poch..... It's a strange pattern.... I wonder if things between them became fractious after the pre-CL comments.
I agree it is curious. Although maybe a potential career ending injury gave him a kick up the backside and the motivation to perform at the top level for as long as possible

I dont think he had been great for circa 2 years. It felt like a lot of mistakes were creeping into his game

Yes there were a sprinkling of errors stretching further back but I guess I retained more confidence in him than that.... I more so subscribe to what your orig. post said: "He seemed to be going downhill fast".

I think he was problems were twofold. The way Poch wanted him to play with passing out from the back and having to use his feet more led to mistakes and loss of confidence. Then the drink drive incident seemed to affect him. The break did him good and with a new Manager and new way of playing he has not looked back.

Not just with Hugo
I think Poch pissed quite a few off and I was amazed at him threatening to leave!

He's definitely playing much better and looks way more assured recently. Think the fact that we aren't constantly playing out from the back has helped him as his distribution has always been a real weakness. Maybe the change of goalkeeping coach has helped too. Pulled off a great save tonight

Those are genuinely probably all of the saves he's made this season.

If anything, that video shows you how good we've been defensively from open play since the Southampton game.

Since then:

- A cross from an Antwerp player
- Hit and hope volley from West Ham player
- Another hit and hope from 35 yards out from West Ham player
- A shot from 20 yards out again from West Ham player cutting in

Are the only ones from open play. Not a single one in the box.

Bare in mind Lloris has played 8 games since Southampton....

It's rather impressive. We're limiting our opponents to very little clear goal scoring opportunities from open play. 9 goals conceded this season and I think 7 have been from set pieces or penalties. Just shows you all you need to know.

And even then, our set piece defending recently hasn't been too bad for the most part.

We've faced the weakest run of opposition of any side in the league so far so the next 7 matches will be more telling, but it's def borne out by the stats that we've been good at limiting clear-cut shots on goal. If you look at Premier League Goalkeeper Stats | FBref.com, we're:
- 4th lowest in Shots on Target Against
- 1st lowest in PSxG and PSxG/SoT - these are measures of expected goals based on how likely a keeper will save a shot, lower mean the keeper faces weaker chances. I think PsxG/SoT is also somewhat related to how high your line is and how risky you play - Liverpool, Utd, and Leeds have the highest PsxG/SoT because they often don't have many bodies back, while Arse, Newcastle, and Wolves join us in the lower range.

Lloris isn't doing too well with the "PsxG vs allowed goals" - he's -1.8 for some reason, but I can't remember any goal that he should've done better with - but it's a very small sample size which is exactly what we want: he hasn't a chance to shine, and let's not give him a reason to! Next run of games will really put us to the test though, so counting on him 🙏

And even then, our set piece defending recently hasn't been too bad for the most part.

That reminds me, Extra Inch did an analysis of our set pieces after Burnley that you can watch for free and basically concludes we've definitely been training attacking set pieces, and maybe tweaking from the defensive side too. I have a sneaky suspicion it's not so much our defending of them but the fact we tend to concede more dangerous set pieces because we allow them relatively close to goal, but can't find any stats on that front.

Back
Top Bottom