Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Football writers making a living out of complete horseshit is frustrating isn't it?

Ian Darke has Hugo in his "Premier League Worst XI"

You wonder whether they actually bother to watch games.

He doesn't even give a single piece of evidence to back it up.
His entire "reasoning" for including him in the puffiest of puff pieces:

"A World Cup winner with France in 2018, remember, Lloris does not inspire the same confidence these days. There is a feeling that his time with Spurs may be up, with Burnley's Nick Pope among those being eyed up."

That's it. Joke "Journalism"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2KrIkUXIAEbX18?format=jpg&name=900x900

12 clean sheets - 4th most in the league and with 'that defense' in front of him
Had 3 bad games this season : v Liverpool(H) , Everton (A) , City(A) - Early February and that gave everyone a bad perception of him.

Apart from that he's been spotless and has had a great season.
Clean sheets are a meaningless stat to use for goalkeepers, they actually reflect how the team is defending which kinda makes "with that defence" sqn oxymoron as it is that defence that's helped it become 4th best in the league!

The link too is inaccurate to me, Lloris has the 3rd best save % and if you apply expected goals (taking into account the quality of the shoot) then he's 5th highest. Data source is the same (StatsBomb) in this Premier League Goalkeeper Stats | FBref.com as your link but you can they are very different.

Clean sheets are a meaningless stat to use for goalkeepers, they actually reflect how the team is defending which kinda makes "with that defence" sqn oxymoron as it is that defence that's helped it become 4th best in the league!

The link too is inaccurate to me, Lloris has the 3rd best save % and if you apply expected goals (taking into account the quality of the shoot) then he's 5th highest. Data source is the same (StatsBomb) in this Premier League Goalkeeper Stats | FBref.com as your link but you can they are very different.
Who are the four keepers above him, Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 ?

Who are the four keepers above him, Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 ?
Areola
Martinez
Alisson
Meslier

But to be even more accurate with Goalkeeper statistical measurement there's an argument that you go further than just xG but look at "Goals Prevented" which compares how many goals a goalkeeper actually conceded against the number they were expected to. This is ideal for measuring the quality of saves produced, given the chances that a goalkeeper has faced. The higher the goals prevented number, the better the shot-stopping performance.

So using this metric:
Lloris is the best shot-stopper in the League!
Martinez
Pope
Areola
Alisson
Ederson
Flappyhandsky
Pickford
Henderson
Leno

Areola
Martinez
Alisson
Meslier

But to be even more accurate with Goalkeeper statistical measurement there's an argument that you go further than just xG but look at "Goals Prevented" which compares how many goals a goalkeeper actually conceded against the number they were expected to. This is ideal for measuring the quality of saves produced, given the chances that a goalkeeper has faced. The higher the goals prevented number, the better the shot-stopping performance.

So using this metric:
Lloris is the best shot-stopper in the League!
Martinez
Pope
Areola
Alisson
Ederson
Flappyhandsky
Pickford
Henderson
Leno
Had a man tell me last night that he prefers Mendy to Lloris. What about all aspects of goalkeeping? Who comes out on top there?

Had a man tell me last night that he prefers Mendy to Lloris. What about all aspects of goalkeeping? Who comes out on top there?
I'm simply not that good at putting all that data together (and there's fucking loads of it) to then, I would assume, weigh each data point and then spit out a final table of positions. Even then the stats can be highly influenced by how a team chooses to play (same as most other positions to be fair).

I think the above though is miles ahead of "Clean Sheets" which is a nonsense measurement. But always has to be remembered that that's half of the job of a 'Keeper, albeit like a striker and goalscoring a hugely important one. Having a striker that can't score or a 'Keeper that can't save is utterly pointless.

In the link I posted above you can click on the headings with the spreadsheet and easily get the individual answers for each metric. E.G Passes = which are then broken down into long/short and then shown as % completed for each and combined. There's another column that removes passes not including goal kicks and has a column for throws, and further definition by length.

So it's all there but this is where how the team plays has a huge impact on the numbers. It's clear that under the dinosaur that the instruction has been to boot the ball up the pitch, with Lloris sat 10th of passes longer than 40yrds (Johnston WBA, Ramsdale Shef Utd & Pope Burnley sitting in the top 3), his pass completion in passes over 40yrds is 41.3% (Mid-table), but SIGNIFICANTLY better than the top 3 longball booters of Pope, Johnston & Ramsdale!!! So, It's hard to extrapolate what that's telling us about quality vs game plan.

I think this is where the eye test is more powerful than anything, the data hopefully can be used to support what you see or may identify something that you've missed and perhaps should look for over his next few games.

Some more 'keeper stuff hitting my timeline today, just sharing it out

89 'keepers (who played more than 1600mins) across Europes 5 big leagues......

E2MZ14uX0AYcfre

Last edited:
As I said Lloris has had a great season
Everyone got this narrative of him because of 3 bad high profile games but apart from that he's been spotless.

Every keeper makes mistakes , Alisson and Ederson have had poor games this season for example and are lauded as the best.

At the end of the day I don't really use clean sheets as stats but Hugo's had a horrific defense in him and when you have a LB on your own team who had 3 consecutive games where he had 3 shots on targets on Hugo's goal you really start to feel sorry for the guy.

Lloris had a dodgy spell around the time of his drink/driving incident. These last 6 months he has been excellent and I do not need stats to prove it. There is too much change in store that I do not want to lose him as well.

Back
Top Bottom