Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's strange. I was at WHL when Dembele made his debut against Norwich and the atmosphere was very negative after losing Modric and VDV.
Which was not unjustified and it was indeed a bad season in the end.

Investment in the squad and the culture of the club are related but different things. Just ask Woolwich.

Poch would have failed if he’d had to keep and build around a bunch of BAE’s and Pavlyuchenko’s. Or even perhaps Bale’s and VDV’s, brilliant as they could be under Redknapp’s culture.

I have a soft spot for ‘Arry and those teams were fun to watch, but if you’re serious about winning things you need proper professionals AND proper investment. Thanks to guys like Hugo we have the former.

Hugo Lloris: “From a personal point of view, two of my three kids have been born in London, so this club, this city will always be special for me and for my family," he said.

“Also, I feel comfortable in my mind. I just want to enjoy my time at Spurs, try to keep pushing myself, help the team, help the club and in football, you never know what challenge is going to be in front of you, so you have to be ready.

“I could not expect to reach 300 Premier League games when I first signed for Spurs, but my ambition has always been up there and I felt that the ambition of the club could match mine.

"Year after year, I really felt the club has been reducing the gap between the other big clubs in England and in Europe, and I really think today this is an amazing place to be for any player who wants to compete at a high level.
“The most important thing for me is to feel competitive and to make sure we make everything together to be competitive and to be close to winning things.

"Unfortunately, we didn't have this chance with the club, but I'm not giving up. If it doesn't happen with me, I hope it will happen later because the fans really deserve it, and some people who have worked at the club for many years they deserve this, to know the feeling, to touch the glory.

“I had this privilege to touch it with the French national team and I'm not giving up here. I still enjoy coming in every day, pushing myself and competing week in, week out, and hopefully this work will pay off one day. For now, we have to carry on the good work because there are lots of things to do and to achieve."

Having the chance to go into the international break top of the Premier League table providing that they beat Watford at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, the World Cup winner has stated that Spurs must turn their home form into their "strength" as they bid to challenge at the top once again.
“My point of view is, after two positive results, we need to confirm that form before the international break," he added. "It's not going to be easy because this Watford team is full of - energy and full of excitement as they are back in the Premier League. They have quality, desire, but we have to carry on the good work and keep the right feelings.

“Again, we will need our fans. They had a big impact in the last two games. We want to maintain our confidence, make it stronger, make the relationship with the fans even stronger, because home games should be hard for our opponents.

"We have to make the stadium very hard to play in. This is something that has to be our strength.”

Last edited:
Called him out before

But since the turn of last year he's been rock solid again

Seems to have adjusted him game to command the box more and his distribution has also improved to cover for the lose of pace that he had.

Despite a rocky patch he's still the best keeper I can remember us having

Called him out before

But since the turn of last year he's been rock solid again

Seems to have adjusted him game to command the box more and his distribution has also improved to cover for the lose of pace that he had.

Despite a rocky patch he's still the best keeper I can remember us having

Yep,

Every time I begin to doubt Hugo, he proves me wrong.

Back to Hugo - I can't say that he has ever been at the top of my list of favourite players, and never a fan of the keeper as captain, anyway. I was very critical of him (and Poch) after the DD charge. However, apart from the odd clanger, and even the elite make those, he has been brilliant for us, and I can see why he is the best choice for the armband. The above interview reveals a lot of his personality, maybe I've missed previous insights, but I've definitely warmed to him this season, always thought he was a bit aloof.
Anyway, I'm glad he's our keeper and our captain, and I would love to see him lift a trophy in our colours.

Back
Top Bottom