Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Brilliant performance from Lloris keeping us in the game in the first half. One thing I noticed from the game, earlier in the season when Lloris pushed the ball forward when making a save it always seemed to go to the opposition and on several occasions they scored from the rebound. Today every time he pushed the ball forward from a save there was a Spurs player there to get it to safety. That has to be Conte’s influence.
I don’t think it’s all conte… As an experienced keeper, first you are trying to save the ball and next you are trying to control the rebound and get it to as safe an area as possible… a lot of times the keeper has a general idea what’s around them but it depends how much pressure the keeper has been under. A set long shot or counter attack… keeper should have scanned the field and know the danger areas… but 20-30 seconds of heavy pressure and a goal mouth scramble and the keeper will not have been able to track attacking players…

Point being rebounds are a bit of skill but also luck. There can be a fine margin between a rebound barely missing an attacker or the attacker scoring, or a defender making or not getting into position to clear the rebound. I wouldn’t judge a keepers rebound control over one game and a 7 shot sample. But no question Hugo did well today.

Also if Hugo has improved in this area, it would be credit to the keeper coach rather than conte. Playing goalkeeper is like a whole different sport compared to a field player. Every goalkeeper coach I’ve had at a high level knew far more about the finer details of goalkeeping than the head coach.

He made a good save yesterday but also parried a shot back into the danger area, fumbled another and did his best to concede at the end with a silly pass.

I stick by my assertion that he’s nowhere near the keeper he was.
Hugo's always been like that. It's not like he's had some masterful season mistake free. No goalie has. He used to make some howlers under Poch. He definitely didn't have a great season after his drink-driving situation.

This season he's been as good as any other. The guy's had the reflexes of a cat at times. Plus, he's barely missed a game. Who have we got as back up? Grandmaster Gollini. I'd rather put Kane back in goal.

Hugo's always been like that. It's not like he's had some masterful season mistake free. No goalie has. He used to make some howlers under Poch. He definitely didn't have a great season after his drink-driving situation.

This season he's been as good as any other. The guy's had the reflexes of a cat at times. Plus, he's barely missed a game. Who have we got as back up? Grandmaster Gollini. I'd rather put Kane back in goal.
Gollini is a complete mystery

He made a good save yesterday but also parried a shot back into the danger area, fumbled another and did his best to concede at the end with a silly pass.

Pickford mark a smart stop yesterday stopping a certain goal, which parried back into danger. Godfrey then made an amazing tackle to clear it. It's not always on the keeper - saving the shot is one part, the defence need to be alert to the danger too.

Pickford mark a smart stop yesterday stopping a certain goal, which parried back into danger. Godfrey then made an amazing tackle to clear it. It's not always on the keeper - saving the shot is one part, the defence need to be alert to the danger too.
Of course, but this is the Lloris thread. He made a very good save but was careless at the end. All the evidence suggests that at his age, which is understandable, he’s not the keeper he was 5 years ago.

The near post save from Jacobs was top draw

It wasn’t one of those where the keeper makes himself big and it’s a good save because the ball strikes him in a passive sense
He’s actively got a hand to that and considering how close and how sweet the Villa player has caught it I have to give Hugo enormous credit.

I think after that he got in their heads a bit, he grew in stature inside his goal whilst they seemed to bottle it in front of it

Of course, but this is the Lloris thread. He made a very good save but was careless at the end. All the evidence suggests that at his age, which is understandable, he’s not the keeper he was 5 years ago.
I had previously stated the need to move Hugo on. The last couple of years he's been arguably at his best for us. He made 8 saves yesterday, stopping a couple or certain goals.

He gets beaten at his near post too often and is getting on, but if you think he is past it and at any real fault yesterday then im sorry, but you don't have eyes.

I had previously stated the need to move Hugo on. The last couple of years he's been arguably at his best for us. He made 8 saves yesterday, stopping a couple or certain goals.

He gets beaten at his near post too often and is getting on, but if you think he is past it and at any real fault yesterday then im sorry, but you don't have eyes.
Overall he had a good game yesterday, but in every game he makes a mistake that could easily lead to a goal, his pass at the death was an example.

The near post save from Jacobs was top draw

It wasn’t one of those where the keeper makes himself big and it’s a good save because the ball strikes him in a passive sense
He’s actively got a hand to that and considering how close and how sweet the Villa player has caught it I have to give Hugo enormous credit.

I think after that he got in their heads a bit, he grew in stature inside his goal whilst they seemed to bottle it in front of it

That save for the Coutinho FK was mustard too.

When you make posts like that after a performance like that… you show your bias.

Back
Top Bottom