Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes and that is why sometimes we should learn to trust what our eyes are telling us a bit more. For example how did anyone decide that Dave Mackay was a great player for Spurs in the 60’s? It wasn’t from studying statistics for hours on end which weren’t available in those days anyway- it was by people using their eyes. If I apply that to Hugo unfortunately my eyes tell me he is not as good as he was irrespective of what any stats say
Imagine Dave MacKay playing in a Jose 5 man defensive low-block, inviting the oppo on and conceding 14 shots on our goal per game? I guarantee you now there will be people calling for his head and for him to be replaced, that he's a sicknote injury liability and we should "get rid". Were stats available then, you'd probably get me telling those people they are dicks and present the figures behind why I think he's a great player and we should keep him. Just as I'm doing with Lloris.

The thing is you are coming at this from the impression that I'm sat behind a computer screen studying stats. I don't, I never ever looked at them until after I've seen the game and then only to prove what I've seen and support how to communicate what I've seen.

I only read articles about them, what they are, how they are used, how they are applied. I can't even interoperate the player radar's that get used today (the ones that show the player profile), they mean absolutely nothing to me in isolation, but I do review them if someone has bothered to support each one with text and highlight their strengths, I then go and watch them play to see what the fuss is all about (if I've never heard of them).

I've never met anyone, including those that are data hungry obsessives who don't watch the game. Makes you wonder why it's a billion-dollar industry and why every football club employs an army of stat analysts using bespoke tech to interpret the data. Maybe they are onto something.

But you can’t tell without putting him back in the same situation (ie, same defence, same MF, same shots etcetera). We all know he makes high-profile howlers, but probably better at the ‘meat-and-potatoes’ bits...Gazzaniga made more simple errors and Vorm...

Is there a better keeper? Depends what you want him to do and how to do it. Hugo is having to stop more shots than before, though, no doubt, and we are attuned to remembering mistakes more than successes. There’s no pace from Walker or Rose to try and clear up the mess, and Trippier / Sissoko are gone or out so there’s no cover on the RB position.

I would say it looks like he’s making more mistakes, but that may simply be because there is more opportunity to do so.

Who knows. I have made my point so let’s hope Hugo proves me wrong. Anyway I am off out now to try and sort something much more pressing- to track down some elusive toilet roll!

Imagine Dave Mackay playing behind Ndombele, trying to bring the ball out to his “playmaker”, who is hiding behind three opposition players.

And some fans calling Dave shit because the defence go long fuck Ndombele off

:roseunsure:

His best days are behind him. Those 2 goals in the week has confirmed this for me. 2 years ago he would of saved them.
He has been a great servant and loyal. He could have quite easily have gone to any team in the world 5 years ago, but he stayed with us.
I’m happy for him to be number 2 and help coach , but we need a new number 1 keeper next season .

Regarding his distribution I found some interesting numbers in a L'Équipe article from 19 Feb.
Since the summer of 2015 no other keeper in the top five leagues has played more passed out of his box than Hugo (over 3000 - no one else has over 2000) and no keeper has come out of his box more (123 - no other keeper is over 100).
Also since Opta started keeping xG stats in 2013 Hugo has the best record having conceded 33 goals fewer than expected (De Gea is at 19; Ederson has conceded 1 more than expected)
It feels in this era of super slow-mo, multiple angles and constant analysis that GKs come of worse when it comes to criticism because their mistakes, as the cliché goes, tend to lead directly to goals but in the grand scheme of the rebuild I don't think replacing Hugo is near the top of the list. A top class proven keeper will cost a fortune and for every Alison there is a Kepa...

He had a 1.8 alcohol blood level when he was done. Vomit all over inside of his car. This boy should have been sacked right off. Terminated contract. Just Like E Dier running into the stands. End their contract and set examples. It's like Tottenham is a playground for bad behaviour and i won't have it.

Regarding his distribution I found some interesting numbers in a L'Équipe article from 19 Feb.
Since the summer of 2015 no other keeper in the top five leagues has played more passed out of his box than Hugo (over 3000 - no one else has over 2000) and no keeper has come out of his box more (123 - no other keeper is over 100).
Also since Opta started keeping xG stats in 2013 Hugo has the best record having conceded 33 goals fewer than expected (De Gea is at 19; Ederson has conceded 1 more than expected)
It feels in this era of super slow-mo, multiple angles and constant analysis that GKs come of worse when it comes to criticism because their mistakes, as the cliché goes, tend to lead directly to goals but in the grand scheme of the rebuild I don't think replacing Hugo is near the top of the list. A top class proven keeper will cost a fortune and for every Alison there is a Kepa...

Nobody is saying he hasn’t been a great keeper. You are looking at stats since summer 2015 (nearly 5 years ago) and 2013 (7 years ago). Didn’t need lots of “super slow-mo” and multiple angles” to tell me he should have done better against Leipzig either.

He had a 1.8 alcohol blood level when he was done. Vomit all over inside of his car. This boy should have been sacked right off. Terminated contract. Just Like E Dier running into the stands. End their contract and set examples. It's like Tottenham is a playground for bad behaviour and i won't have it.

Hugo, yeah that was a bit of a surprise. Thought he would've been quietly asked to leave, maybe back to France. Not like our second choice was the best at the time.

As for Dier I think that's a different situation.

I wouldn't say replacing our GK is our top priority - Hugo's still good - but his performances have become more erratic. When he first came back he was quality for several games. Now he looks ropey all of a sudden. He's not helped by playing in an average team that's low on confidence. More and more performances are falling into the 'bad' column. He's still got many qualities.

I think we should be looking to bring in a young 'keeper next season to compete and then phase Hugo out over the next couple of seasons.

I wouldn't say replacing our GK is our top priority - Hugo's still good - but his performances have become more erratic. When he first came back he was quality for several games. Now he looks ropey all of a sudden. He's not helped by playing in an average team that's low on confidence. More and more performances are falling into the 'bad' column. He's still got many qualities.

I think we should be looking to bring in a young 'keeper next season to compete and then phase Hugo out over the next couple of seasons.

For me I think it is so important that we find a great keeper. It is no surprise that most great sides at the peak of their powers have had a rock solid man between the sticks. Clemence at Liverpool, Seaman at Woolwich, Schmeichel, Van Der Sar and De Gea at Man United, Cech at Chelsea, Alison at Liverpool. As well as the saves they make these top keepers fill their defence with confidence. It cannot help Spurs defence if they feel that they cannot rely on the man behind them. I agree that there are issues all over the pitch but if we keep Lloris for next season we won’t win a thing. We need to build from the back and the right keeper is so important to enable us to do that

Our defensive block looks like 4 guys randomly taken from street and forced to play there. Hugo just isn't the type who thrives in given situation.

Good keepers come cheap. I would think a decent replacement for Hugo Lloris would cost about £15m if we had a scout digging deep around europe. Denmark, Sweden and Finland. Even Norway.
Remember Erik Thorstvedt

Good keepers come cheap. I would think a decent replacement for Hugo Lloris would cost about £15m if we had a scout digging deep around europe. Denmark, Sweden and Finland. Even Norway.
Remember Erik Thorstvedt
Your talking a load of bollocks

Back
Top Bottom